Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blinded in the Air

shaymen

Thought I would share this with the forum pals.

Glyn

post-5500-1114804177.jpg

Hmmmm...

The kindest thing to say is that it may be based on truth but with some embellishment.

Presumably the plane's engine had stopped otherwise they certainly couldn't have had those conversations even in normal circumstances, neither could he have been guided by 'noises below'. The conversation wouldn't have been as gentlemanly as described, in a crashing aircraft with two severely wounded men. And I can't believe a 1915 aeroplane could have hit a church weathercock without crashing immediately. And if he was that low down at the time, he couldn't have stayed airborne with no engine for three minutes, especially through a hail of bullets. But the engine must have been going otherwise why say 'turn off the spark' ...but then they couldn't have a formal conversation...oh dear, this doesn't add up at all...

It's not impossible that a severely wounded observer may have shouted instructions to guide down a blinded pilot, but use the salt cellar on the details.

It is correct though, that 'volplane' was the term for gliding in the early days of aviation.

Sorry to be a wet blanket...if nothing else its an interesting example of tabloid journalism from the time. Was the Sun around then? .. on second thoughts the story is TOO plausible for the Sun.. the date wasn't April 1st was it?

Adrian

I think that Adrian's on the right scent here.

Unless I've missed it, The French Air Service War Chronology doesn't show an instance where a Sergent pilot was killed in action, and a Lieutenant observer was wounded in action during the same flight in the first six months of 1915.

Gareth

Adrian/Gareth

Thanks for showing an interest - I tend to agree with you about the plausibility of the story.

It was from my local newspaper dated March 13th 1915 - so definitely not an Aprils Fool.

Thanks

Glyn