Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Scotsman'

Blackblue

Please note: So I can find this again I have moved this from a another thread I hijacked from NzMel.

Hi Derek,

Don't suppose you have any SMART's or ROBERTSON's from Glamis there?

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim,

A few Smarts and many Robertsons appear in the Scotsman lists.

Unfortunately there's no mention of where they come from.

Al the best,

Derek

Thanks a lot Derek,

I am most in the following. I am trying to ascertain if most of them served:

1. David Smart born 1877 (unknown if he served).

2. George Smart born 1880 (Boer War with South African Constabulary). He probably served with the Black Watch.

3. William Robertson born 1880 (unknown if he served).

4. James Robertson born 1887 (unknown if he served).

5. Alexander Robertson born 1891 (unknown if he served).

6. Sylvester Robertson born 1895 (served with 1/5th, 4th/5th and 9th Black Watch).

I know the Robertson's are in probably in the too hard basket but am hopeful of ascertaining whether David and George Smart served.

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim,

Leave this with me and I'll see what I can do. I'll be visiting the Black Watch Museum in the next couple of weeks and will try and check the depot roll books. These give date of enlistment, place of enlistement, age etc. but unfortunately aren't complete.

I'll also check the copy war diaries, casualty lists etc. that I have at home.

All the best,

Derek

Many thanks Derek.

Much appreciated.

Rgds

Tim

• 9 months later...

Hi Derek,

Just wondered if you had any luck with this request?

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry, no luck I'm afraid. The depot rolls aren't listed alphabetically and I didn't search the MICs for David or George before my last visit.

I notice there are four David Smarts and two Georges.

Two of the D. Smarts were territorials and the depot rolls don't survive. I should be able to find something on the other two.

There's also a George G. Smart S/18319 and G. Smart 7515. I'll ask the archivist if he has any record next time I'm in Perth.

I've checked the Muster Roll of Angus and the Military History of Perthshire for any mention of George's SAC service but unfortunately he's not mentioned.

There are a fair number of Smarts and Robertsons serving in the Boer War from the Perhthshire/Angus region - if any are of interest let me know.

Derek

Thanks a lot Derek,

The men I am interested in are listed above. George is not either of the men you have outlined apparently. Both George and his brother Alexander served in South Africa with the South African Constabulary. I received information from a relative that they believed George was 7515, but have since ascertained that this man cannot be him as he was still in South Africa with the SAC when this number was allocated. He had no middle name.

Rgds

Tim

• 1 year later...

Hi Derek,

Just bringing this up again. Any news?

Rgds

Tim

• 1 year later...

Just bringing this up again and wondered if anyone had access to 'The Scotsman'.

I am seeking information on the following men who were from the Glamis area and may have served. Also interested in any Smarts or Robertsons from the Glamis area.

2. William Robertson born 1880 (unknown if he served).

3. James Robertson born 1887 (unknown if he served).

4. Alexander Robertson born 1891 (unknown if he served).

5. Sylvester Robertson born 1895 (served with 1/5th, 4th/5th and 9th Black Watch).

Rgds

Tim D

Hello Tim,

Not heard from you in a while, how are you getting on? The Scotsman archive is a bit hit or miss, the few times I have had access, I found that I got better results when searching by service number. There are men I know are listed in there and there names just will not bring up the results. This was very much the case when I was trying to find the entry of men listed in a book about Black Watch men who were listed in the Scotsman's wounded columes. Sometimes the only way to find them was to find the copy they were listed in and then trawl through it!

Have you ever had any results from a book which is called something like - Forfar and district in the great war? It is not on line, but there is a copy in Forfar library and I am sure a forum member has a copy. I did once look through a copy. It covers the area around Forfar, it lists the men by district and tells you where they served and with which unit, and if they were wounded. it is very basic and there are no photos. But still it might be a good starting point.

I am not sure when i will next be in Forfar, but if I can get through I will have a wee look for you, and have a trawl through the local paper!

All the best,

Stewart

Just bringing this up again and wondered if anyone had access to 'The Scotsman'.

I am seeking information on the following men who were from the Glamis area and may have served. Also interested in any Smarts or Robertsons from the Glamis area.

2. William Robertson born 1880 (unknown if he served).

3. James Robertson born 1887 (unknown if he served).

4. Alexander Robertson born 1891 (unknown if he served).

5. Sylvester Robertson born 1895 (served with 1/5th, 4th/5th and 9th Black Watch).

Rgds

Tim D

Hin tim

Just thinking that this site may be of use to you

WWW.monikie.org.uk

info on the Glamis area and some army lists of B/W may help you. Gary

Hi Tim,

I checked all the casualty lists returned with 'Glamis' when searching The Scotsman from 1st Sep 1914-31st Dec 1917. Did not find any Smart or Robertson connection (about a dozen lists). However, as Stewart mentioned, you have to take into account the fact that i. the search isn't 100% efficient, ii. that before early 1916 no associated place names were given in the published lists, and iii. post-1917 no lists of wounded/missing were published.

With a less common name that Robertson an alternative strategy would be to search with surname and possible regimental number.

Stuart

Hi Tim

I`m going on the assumption that George And David Smart are brothers so how do these lads sound to you ?

David Smart -brn 08/06/1877 Parish of Carmyllie ( not that far from Glamis ) Father- David Smart Mother- Catherine ( Cameron ) Smart.

George Smart -brn - 10/02/1880 Parish of Monikie (again not far from Glamis ) Father David Smart Mother Catherine ( Cameron ) Smart.

I think we may be on to them if you think not drop in a post to say if you think I`m way off line with your men all the best Gary. :D

again I assume all your Robertsons are brothers ? The 1901 Census for Glamis has them all at Plans of Thornton. James-13,Alexander-9 and sylvester-5.

The only Lad I can Find in the SDGW is a James Robertson Brn Glamis Enl.B/Ferry K.I.A-14/10/1916 But no age and CWWG gives no hints on him so not sure if he is one of yours ??? but he`s the only Robertson I can See brn at Glamis.?????

Sylvester Robertson brn 1895 Glamis--- 2239 & 240524 Royal highlanders ? only one I can see.

all the best fae dundee.

Thanks very much guys. G'day Stewart.

I am just following these possibilities up and what other sources of information may be available....so any ideas would be glady received.

The Robertsons I have listed were all my Great Grandmothers (Agnes Robertson) Brothers and the Smarts by Great Grandads (John Cameron Smart) brothers. I have positively identified (as per my Avatar) Alexander Smart, George Smart and Sylvester Robertson but am sure some of the others may have served...possibly in the 1/5th Black Watch.

I am confident 2227 PTE James Robertson (no parents listed) and S/43010 CPL Alexander Smart (son of Alexander and Charlotte) as listed in other posts I made last week are relatives but have been unable to confirm them.

Gary,

You do have the correct Smart and Robertson families including Sylvester...I already have most of the census and birth information from Scotlands People. I know Alexander's (listed above) parents were Alexander and Charlotte but can't find them in my family tree.

Stewart,

If could have a look in the book you mention it would be very much appreciated.

Stuart,

Thanks very much. Is there anything listed on the James Robertson and Alexander Smart I have mentioned?

I recall someone was going to look up the BW lists for me some time ago on the forum but I did not hear back.

Rgds

Tim