Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New researcher

Guest hendyc

I would like to find where my grandfather went in the war.I know he was in the Yorks & Lancs but nothing else other than his number (10377). I have his dog tags & 2 Belgian coins which could mean he was in Belgium. I also have a photo of him, his 3 medals and a small silver rosette?. He was born in 1894 and lived in Sheffield,his name was Alonzar Hodgson.Can anyone please point me in the right direction?.

Hello hendyC,

You don't say whether your grandfather survived the war or not. There is a 10341 Private A Hodgson 2nd Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment. Died 21 May 1916. Buried in Ljssenthoek Military Cemetary,Poperinge Belgium. This is found on the CWGC site.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Regards

Ali

Thank you to all who have replied. My grandfather did survive the war but according to my mother it was never talked about. She often wondered if he was wounded due to him having a large scar across his back- we may never know. I think the logical step is to search the medal rolls but a visit to the records office is not possible at the moment. Is there any other way of at least finding out which battalion/division he was in ? I have a silver rosette which looks very much like a Yorkshire Rose which is the Sheffield Hallamshire terratorial emblem (I think). Anybody know? The other divison I have found is the Sheffield City Pals which he could also have been in. Having said that his brother was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers then the labour corps (he died 1920 in Sheffield)

Carol