Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who Is This Soldier?

Paul Johnson

I have attached a photo of a badly damaged 1914/15 star that I picked up.

The details on the reverse are badly worn but look like 85780 Cpl F May Manch R.

I have searched the MIC's and tried various numbers such as 35780 / 85789 etc but to no avail. I Have searched through the May's (which took a long time) and have tried Hay, Nay and even Kay. Again, all this bore no fruit.

As I said, it is badly damaged and virtually worthless (from a financial point of view) but I really would like to know who this soldier was, just so I can ensure he is not forgotten.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

post-1368-1114621225.jpg

Paul

Try sprinkling some talcum powder over the numbers, blow away the residue and see if the numbers show up a bit more clearly. Try dampening the powder a little if it is a bit too fluffy, so to speak. Alternatively, an ultra-violet light source may help in showing them up more clearly.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the advice. I will give it ago. I would just really like to know who this guy was.

Regards

PAUL J :ph34r:

Hi There, :)

I know this is a long shot, but if you put in 85087 on the MIC Index, a Frank May Manchester Regiment comes up !!

Just a thought !!

Cheers

Tim.

Thanks Tim,

I checked this out and there is always a possibility this could be my man. The only thing that puts me off is that the Star does appear to say Cpl. and the middle numbers are definately 578.

Only time will tell, but thank you for taking the time to look for me.

Regards

Roop,

Try this. My scanner is a bit rubbish but I have a reasonable camera and have had to use the super macro feature to get these, along with Terry's talcum powder idea. Hope they prove to be of use.

Thank You

post-1368-1114638365.jpg