Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt B R Davis

John_Hartley

I have the CWGC info on this man and the scant details of his action from The Sky Their Battlefield. Does anyone have any other info of the action which appears to have resulted in him being shot down and originally posted as missing.

He's buried at Dadizeele, just a few graves away from the greatuncle I visited over the weekend. His gravestone only caught my eye as it was inscribed with a Star of David. I left a stone on top of the gravestone which is, I understand, the custom.

My apologies to any Jewish Forum members if this act of remembrance should only be undertaken by fellow Jews. I was unsure if this was the case but thought it better to indicate the visit than do nothing.

John

John

The Camel File by Sturtivant and Page doesn't have much to add to what you already know. Lt Davis was flying Camel B6205 of No 45 Sqn when he failed to return from an Offensive Patrol on 20 September 1917. There doesn't seem to be a matching claim from a German fighter pilot, so perhaps anti-aircraft fire, an enemy two-seater or engine/structural failure caused his death.

Regards

Gareth

John

In the RFC Communiqué for 17-23 September 1917 (No 106) there's a little more information that might be relevant to the death of Lt Davis. On 20 September a Lt Davis from No 45 Sqn was noted to have fired 175 rounds at ground targets.

On the same day an Offensive Patrol from No 45 Sqn had a number of fights with formations of enemy aircraft, with the result that 2Lt E D Clarke was credited with an Albatros scout, 2Lt W A Wright shot down a two-seater, while 2Lts K B Montgomery and P Carpenter both shot down an enemy machine out of control. Perhaps Lt Davis was missing after one of these combats.

Regards

Gareth