Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German History Archives

BMoorhouse

Does anyone know where German WW1 military archives are stored?

I assume that they have an equivelent to the Imperial War Museum - does anyone have the address?

Also, do they have Regimental museums, like we have in the UK?

I am looking for details for the 7th Reserve Infantry Division (13th and 14th Reserve Infantry Brigades), the 9th Cavalry Division (9th Cav Bgd) and the 3rd, 9th and 10th Jager for 1914.

Thanks,

Brendon Moorhouse.

Hello,

The central archive (since all of your units are Prussian) is in Freiburg im Breisgau. Although you'll find there only the published regimental (if they exist and they have them) histories, because 99% of the Prussian archives were destroyed during a bombing raid in WW2. I don't know of any regimental museums etc.

Adress:

Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv

Wiesentalstraße 10

79115 Freiburg

Be aware that everything is in German (printed is normally fraktur and hand-written is Sütterlin).

Regards,

Jan

Our own War Office built up an almost complete set of German Regimental histories when the Official History was being written.

When the History was finished I believe they were donated to the RUSI

Does anyone know what became of them after that?

Thank you for the suggestions.

I find it hard to believe that there will be no collections of memoirs/diaries etc from this era in Germany (subject to bomb damage etc). There surely must be equivellents to the IWM document archive or the Liddle collection at Leeds University?

Brendon Moorhouse.

Unfortunately the bombing was extensive, accurate and involved incendiary bombs with the HE so that most of the materials were destroyed in the raids in 1945. Some has been reported to exist in Russia that was supposedly taken at the end of the war but I have yet to see any actual documentation or accounting of it. Most of the details from the Prussian side are taken from regimental histories that were written when the records were intact.

The U.S. Government has a collection of documents from the German units that faced U.S. units only during the war, it is a pity they did not extend the documentation to cover the entire war and every Allied country.

Ralph

There is almost no official interest in WW1 in Germany, you can try the Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt in Berlin perhaps, but I heard from a friend who was there, that even there interest for ww1 is minimal.

Jan

Guest JohnRooney

Hi,

Three websites that I find helpful are:-

A Pocket German Army (pre 1914) www.hunterlink.net.au/~maampo/militaer/milindex.html

and two German discussion forums (questions in English are answered)

www.forumromanum.de

www.milex.de