2666 Private JR Greagg d. 12.10.1917 age 33 years

3464 Private RV Wade d. 13.10.1917

5683 Private Private CD Anford d. 12.10.1917 age 39 years

Lieutenant D Grinlington d. 17.10.1917

RObbie

Can someone explain the rocks, stones? on the headstone above, please

Kim

Kim

Can't remember the actual significance behind this custom - but it is a Jewish custom. At the end of the movie 'Schindler's List' they showed the actual survivors that had worked in his factory during WW2 - filing passed his grave - and each placing a rock/stone on it as they passed. (very moving)

Cheers, Frev.

Hi Andrew,

Yes the puzzle of R/66 remains.

Here ar the names of 48th bn. men whose graves I photographed:

2666 Private JR Greagg d. 12.10.1917 age 33 years

3464 Private RV Wade d. 13.10.1917

5683 Private Private CD Anford d. 12.10.1917 age 39 years

Lieutenant D Grinlington d. 17.10.1917

RObbie

Hi Robbie

It would be good to see Grinlington's grave photo if you have the chance.

Cheers

Andrew

Kim

Can't remember the actual significance behind this custom - but it is a Jewish custom.  At the end of the movie 'Schindler's List' they showed the actual survivors that had worked in his factory during WW2 - filing passed his grave - and each placing a rock/stone on it as they passed.  (very moving)

Cheers, Frev.

This has been discussed in detail in the forum before now. Try a search.

Thanks for the tip, silly enough to type in stones, but found it on about page 4 with extra leads after that.

I only wish that i had the time to read all the old postings. It would be a learning journey.

Ta

Kim

Hi Andrew. Here he is. As you can see the engraving is a little weathered - hope it's OK for you.

Robbie

post-4246-1115704612.jpg

Can someone explain the rocks, stones? on the headstone above, please

Kim

I believe it is to 'tell' them they are not forgotten and not alone. When we were away on the Pals tour we saw many of them around . I stupidly at first thought some kids had been playing but resident guru Terry Denham set me straight before i removed any. You do not have to be Jewish to put them on either anyone can pay respects.

regards

Arm.

It is very primitive in a way, but it is so right. 'Not alone and not forgotten.'

Some cultures do justice to their forefathers in such touching ways.

Kim

A search of the forum will reveal several extensive threads on the "prayer" stones left on Jewish headstones.

Hi Andrew. Here he is. As you can see the engraving is a little weathered - hope it's OK for you.

Robbie

Cheers Robbie. I appreciate it.

It's quite strange with his surname as the authorities always seemed to mix it up. Sometimes it's Grinlington and other times the other g is missing and it's just Grinlinton.

Andrew

The stones. If you are out on the hills or moors of Scotland and come across a cairn, you add a stone. And feel the better for it. John.

Hi Robbie

I received a letter this morning from a lady whose uncle was killed in the war but she has never known where he was killed or buried. Her mum died before she found out much about him. His name is Pte Leopold Blockley of the 28th Battalion AIF and he enlisted when he was 17.

He died of wounds on the 05/10/17 and is buried in Lijssenthoek Cemetery so if you get a chance can you look at the photos you took there to see if by some small chance that Blockley's photo is among them?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Robbie

I received a letter this morning from a lady whose uncle was killed in the war but she has never known where he was killed or buried. Her mum died before she found out much about him. His name is Pte Leopold Blockley of the 28th Battalion AIF and he enlisted when he was 17.

He died of wounds on the 05/10/17 and is buried in Lijssenthoek Cemetery so if you get a chance can you look at the photos you took there to see if by some small chance that Blockley's photo is among them?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi ANdrew,

I wish I could help you but no I don't have this one. I do have these for 28th btn:

Martin

Harrison

Sales

E.Smith

Andrews

Dennison

A.Smith

Nye

Cleverley

Robbie

No Worries Robbie, thanks for looking.

I would like to give thanks to Frans for very kindly going out and taking a very good photo of Blockey's grave.

Blockey's niece will be very happy when she receives a photo of his final resting place.

Cheers

Andrew

G'day Robbie,

My 80 year old next door neighbour's uncle is buried in Nine Elms.

Private Ernest Rothwell Rothery

DOW 29/10/1917

7th Bn.

If you have I photo, I would love to pass it onto her.

Regards,

Andrew.

Sorry, Andrew, no I haven't got this one.

Robbie

Sorry, Andrew, no I haven't got this one.

Robbie

G'day Robbie,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, if anyone else gets to Nine Elms I would really appreciate a photo. Poor old "Snowy" Rothery's grave has never been seen by my neighbours family.

Regards,

Andrew.

• 12 years later...
On 5/7/2005 at 20:11, robbie said:

I am still processing all the photos I took on the Pal's trip.

I have a number of men from the 10th bn AIF who I believed took part in the "Celtic Wood" incident in 1917.

This one attached has a service number R/66. Anyone know what the significance of this numbering rather than the traditional 3 or 4 digits?

R/66 Serjeant Arthur Abraham Jacobs, died 7.10.1917 age 23 years - buried in Tyne Cot.

Robbie

PS Have found some more 48th Bn as well.

post-4246-1115462469.jpg

Hello Robbie,

I happened upon this searching for material to do with Celtic Wood.  Arthur Abraham Jacobs' serial number with an 'R' prefix indicates he was a reinforcement.  A 10th Bn original,  he had been wounded at Gallipoli and spent about a year back in Australia recuperating.  He did not die in the Celtic Wood raid.  He was killed by random shelling as the Battalion was moving up to Broodseinde Ridge.  His brother Solomon William Jacobs was nearby and picked up what was left of him.  A lot of research has been done on him and his family by a lady in Adelaide named Susie Nichols.  We had earlier done some specifically on Arthur -  you might like to look at this material starting with his person page on the Virtual War Memorial - he was the very first post when we were developing the prototype in 2012-13.  https://rslvirtualwarmemorial.org.au/explore/people/5279  Enjoy.