Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Great Grandfather

vintagebobt

I hope this is allowed on here?

My Great Grandfather was Henry B. Turner born 1894 . The family hail from the Warwickshire area.

I have this photo of him but very little information about him. I have enlarged the photo best I can and it looks like he may have been inthe Royal Artillery. ?

I am not on any military search sites and I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any information on Henry please.

Best wishes in advance

Bob

66446258_10217547668636417_1819412571095040000_n.jpg

Possibly Henry Bertie Turner born 4/7/1894 (1939 list), Oarent Charles Henry and Sarah Ann. Looked like he married Doris and had kids;  Charles and Iris, 

If so he is 63197 or 66371 (both numbers on attestation form)Royal Garrison Artillery. NOK given as mother Sarah on the few scraps of badly damaged docs on ancestry. 63197/66371 is Henry Bert Turner from Sparkhill, Birmingham

Can you confirm family link?

edit

66371 appears in medal rolls. Unit in roll given as 103 Siege Battery, RGA

Edited by Mark1959

That is brilliant, I recall mumtelling me my dad Ray had a brother Charlei and I know his sister was Iris. Interesting information there. I don't recall as a child meeting Henry, I don't know when he died. Sparkhill would be correct. We grew up in Acocks Green up the road. Iris lived in Sparkhill. Did he serve in bothe World Wars or was it common to have two numbers? 

thank you for all this information

Bob

63197 was a number originaly allocated. My reading it was changed to the official 66371 shortly after attestation

The extant sevice papers tell us little. He signed on 8/11/1915. Posted to 103 Siege Battery. Tht unit's appearence in the medal rolls indicates he went overseas with 103 SB. It arrived in France on 29/5/1916. He was demobbed in March 1919. What happens to him in-between is open to question

There is a Death reg for Henry B Turner in Birmingham 3rd Quarter of 1966. That may be him but do not have the info to prove

He married Doris Mabel Varney in 1919 and in 1921 was living with his in-laws

Checked the 1939 list again there is a Raymond B Turner born 1927 with the family.

Edited by Mark1959

3 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a Death reg for Henry B Turner in Birmingham 3rd Quarter of 1966.

Died aged 72 so born around 1894.

Edit:

His entry in the 1939 Register states the inhabitants of  53 Hillfield Road, (Sparkhill?) Birmingham  were:

Henry B Turner Male  July 4th 1894 Packing case maker & zinc ?liner
Doris M Turner Female 1896
Charles H Turner Male 1920 Wire worker Machinist
Iris A J Turner Female 1923 Printer's Packer (Later surname =Williams)
Reynold (Transcription error, correct entry = Raymond) B Sunner (Turner) Male 1937 (Transcription error, correct entry = 1927)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

2 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

63197 or 66371 (both numbers on attestation

I suspect he was given the new RGA number when they realised 63197 had that same week (Nov 1915) already been given to Nelson Frederick Turner RGA. Both men joined at Gosport same week.

That is brilliant, I recall mumtelling me my dad Ray had a brother Charlei and I know his sister was Iris. Interesting information there. I don't recall as a child meeting Henry, I don't know when he died. Sparkhill would be correct. We grew up in Acocks Green up the road. Iris lived in Sparkhill. 

Thank you all so much, this is great information. I can confirm Raymond Bert Turner was my dad and he was born in 1927 as stated above.

The information on the trades of the family members is great, also thanks for the link to the Services site. I will check that out this week.

This is a great forum and I am so thankful for the time put in to help out here

Thanks

Bob

103 SB was armed with two 12 inch railway mounted howitzers. There is a list of men that served with the battery that I compiled:

I have a list of gunners who served with the battery available if you search for 103 Siege battery on the wartimememoriesproject website.

Mark

Edited by kildaremark

16 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Posted to 103 Siege Battery

On the documents it looks like 78 SB first (29.11.1915)

103 SB from 1.2.1916

George