Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd (Lahore) Division in the Palestine Campaign – Regimental/Battalions books?

Eran Tearosh

All,

The 3rd (Lahore) Division was transferred from Mesopotamia to Palestine in March 1918 and operated there till the end of the war. As far as I know, there is no official history of the division for this part of the war (fairly short, about half a year). If something has been written on the divisional level – I'd love to learn about it!

My specific interest is of Division's roll in The Battle of Sharon (19-20th September 1918) being the first phase of The Battles of Megiddo (The Megiddo Offensive), but, of course, I'm interested in the whole Palestine Campaign.

So far, I have found online books of 4 out of the 12 battalions of the division at this stage of the war (naturally, only a short part of each book, sometimes only one chapter, is dedicated to this campaign. That's why in this case I prefer online, rather than my otherwise preference of hard copies):

From the 7th Brigade, The Connaught Rangers (Volume 1), which means I'm missing the 27th Punjabis, 91st Punjabis, 2/7 Gurkha Rifles.

From the 8th Brigade, History of the Manchester Regiment (Late the 63rd and 96th Foot), Volume 2 1883-1922. This means I'm missing the 47th Sikhs, 59th Scinde Rifles, 2/124 Duchess of Connaught's Own Baluchistan inf.

From the 9th Brigade, I found The 1st King George's Own Gurkha Rifles, The Malaun Regiment, 1815-1921 and the Regimental History 1914-1920, 93rd Burma Infantry. This means I'm missing 2nd Dorset and 105th Mahrattas.

Can anyone help me with info about publications of these units?

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

• Admin
10 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Can anyone help me with info about publications of these units?

Hello Eran,

I always find the fantastic 'FIBIS' site really useful. Thank you @MaureenE  :thumbsup:

Easy to find things on there just type into the search bar and away you go.

https://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Mesopotamia_Campaign#Historical_books_online

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/105th_Mahratta_Light_Infantry

105th Mahrattas.  https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.80265/page/n7/mode/2up

I hope this helps?

Regards,

Bob.

Hi Bob!

I agree - the 'FIBIS' site is incredible and this is another opportunity to thank Maureen!

As I am concentrated on the Palestine Campaign, I never looked so far at the Mesopotamia Campaign page. FIBIS has a special page for Egypt & Palestine: https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Egypt,_Palestine,_Syria_(First_World_War) 

Thank you for the link! Only when one looks inside this book, Famous Indian Regiment Kali Panchwin Maratta Light Infantry 1768-1923, does one realize that the 105th Maharatta is one of the names used at one stage by this battalion. Interesting that FIBIS doesn't include it also on the Palestine Campaign page. 

In the meanwhile and in a similar way, I found that the book Regimental History of the 6th Royal Battalion, 13th Frontier Force Rifles (Scinde), 1843-1923, includes a chapter about the 59th Scinde Rifles in Palestine. 

I guess I'll try now to look at the Mesopotamia Campaign page - I might find there a few other links

Thanks again!

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

12 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

FIBIS has a special page for Egypt & Palestine: https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Egypt,_Palestine,_Syria_(First_World_War) 

Thank you for the link! Only when one looks inside this book, Famous Indian Regiment Kali Panchwin Maratta Light Infantry 1768-1923, does one realize that the 105th Maharatta is one of the names used at one stage by this battalion. Interesting that FIBIS doesn't include it also on the Palestine Campaign page. 

In the meanwhile and in a similar way, I found that the book Regimental History of the 6th Royal Battalion, 13th Frontier Force Rifles (Scinde), 1843-1923, includes a chapter about the 59th Scinde Rifles in Palestine. 

Thanks for pointing this out Eran.  On the FIBIS FIBIwiki page Egypt, Palestine, Syria (First World War) I have now added a link (Historical books online/Regimental histories and accounts/ Indian Army) through to the page for 105th Mahratta Light Infantry. But I can point out that there was already such a link for the 59th Scinde Rifles.

In respect of your original post, 27th Punjabis would be included in a book Veteran Campaigners – a History of the Punjab Regiment 1759-1981 by Brig S. Haider Abbas Rizvi (Retd). Published in hardback by Wajidalis, Lahore, Pakistan in 1984. However  the level of details may not be great given the number of constituent regiments and period of time.

91st Punjabis would be included in a book Unfaded Glory : the 8th Punjab Regiment 1798-1956 by Major Rifat Nadeem Ahmad & Major General Rafiuddin Ahmed. Published 2006 by Naval & Military Press, UK. 

For the 7th Gurkha Rifles  there are two possible titles, but its unclear just what period is covered. 

• Extracts from the history of the Seventh Gurkha Rifles. Cover title: The Seventh Gurkha Rifles : extracts from the history. Aldershot : Gale and Polden, 1954.
  • History of 7th Duke of Edinburgh's Own Gurkha Rifles. Produced under the direction of a regimental committee from the story compiled by Colonel J. N. Mackay, etc. Edinburgh ; London : William Blackwood & Sons, 1962.

For 47th Sikhs  

Portrait of Courage : Century of the 5th Battalion, the Sikh Regiment, XLVII (D.C.O) Sikhs by Prem K. Khanna & Pushpindar Singh Chopra. Published in New Delhi 2001. 

For 124th Baluchistan Infantry (The Duke of Connaught's Own)

The First Battalion Duchess of Connaught's Own (late 124th D.C.O. Baluchistan Infantry) and the Tenth Battalion (late 2/124th Baluchistan Infantry) the Tenth Baluch Regiment by O. A. Chaldecott (Oswald Arthur) 1935. Seems to have been published in Karachi.

For 2nd Dorsets 

History of the Dorsetshire Regiment, 1914-1919/1932 . There is a digital version, unfortunately not viewable, only searchable, but it will be out of copyright in USA in 4 years in 2028 https://books.google.com/books?id=EwtRW-DuzSoC  . It is also available in a 3 volume reprint from Naval & Military Press.  

Maureen 

2 hours ago, MaureenE said:

Thanks for pointing this out Eran.  On the FIBIS FIBIwiki page Egypt, Palestine, Syria (First World War) I have now added a link (Historical books online/Regimental histories and accounts/ Indian Army) through to the page for 105th Mahratta Light Infantry. But I can point out that there was already such a link for the 59th Scinde Rifles.

In respect of your original post, 27th Punjabis would be included in a book Veteran Campaigners – a History of the Punjab Regiment 1759-1981 by Brig S. Haider Abbas Rizvi (Retd). Published in hardback by Wajidalis, Lahore, Pakistan in 1984. However  the level of details may not be great given the number of constituent regiments and period of time.

91st Punjabis would be included in a book Unfaded Glory : the 8th Punjab Regiment 1798-1956 by Major Rifat Nadeem Ahmad & Major General Rafiuddin Ahmed. Published 2006 by Naval & Military Press, UK. 

For the 7th Gurkha Rifles  there are two possible titles, but its unclear just what period is covered. 

• Extracts from the history of the Seventh Gurkha Rifles. Cover title: The Seventh Gurkha Rifles : extracts from the history. Aldershot : Gale and Polden, 1954.
  • History of 7th Duke of Edinburgh's Own Gurkha Rifles. Produced under the direction of a regimental committee from the story compiled by Colonel J. N. Mackay, etc. Edinburgh ; London : William Blackwood & Sons, 1962.

For 47th Sikhs  

Portrait of Courage : Century of the 5th Battalion, the Sikh Regiment, XLVII (D.C.O) Sikhs by Prem K. Khanna & Pushpindar Singh Chopra. Published in New Delhi 2001. 

For 124th Baluchistan Infantry (The Duke of Connaught's Own)

The First Battalion Duchess of Connaught's Own (late 124th D.C.O. Baluchistan Infantry) and the Tenth Battalion (late 2/124th Baluchistan Infantry) the Tenth Baluch Regiment by O. A. Chaldecott (Oswald Arthur) 1935. Seems to have been published in Karachi.

For 2nd Dorsets 

History of the Dorsetshire Regiment, 1914-1919/1932 . There is a digital version, unfortunately not viewable, only searchable, but it will be out of copyright in USA in 4 years in 2028 https://books.google.com/books?id=EwtRW-DuzSoC  . It is also available in a 3 volume reprint from Naval & Military Press.  

Maureen 

Thank you!!

Are any of these available online?

As I wrote in the original post, in most cases, the Palestine Campaign is covered by only a chapter or two. 

I assume most or all are not online, so if anyone has any of these books and could send me (via P.M.) the pages referring to The Battle of Sharon, September 19-20, 1918 (including sketches/maps) I would be most grateful!

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh