Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Interracial or inter country relationships between local women and soldiers

war enthusiast

I was watching this documentary of a french woman who discovered her great great grandfather was an Indian soldier and she goes on to this journey trying to find who was he exactly. This is the link

https://vimeo.com/224709399

So I was trying to find more such cases as it interested me a lot on this subject. I am up anything on it -books,studies, documentaries, movies,your experiences etc etc. 

Great documentary, containing lots of Girdwood images and some interesting film clips.

Does still have the romantic fiction about the Pavilion hospital and weirdly the opposite about the Kitchener hospital but overall very well done.

Didn't Frank Richards allude to there being children of Indian descent that he came across during the war?

11 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Didn't Frank Richards allude to there being children of Indian descent that he came across during the war?

Idk who is that ,can you elaborate a bit

See page 62 of this document

"In one case, an Afro-Canadian private in the No. 2 Company (Pte. F.L. Berry) became secretly involved in a relationship with a local French girl ..."

The Frank Richards text would appear to relate to the First Battle of Ypres, at Fromelles. I have read somewhere that the "Indian" troops he referred to may well have been North Africans, hence not understanding Urdu.

'The left platoon of Indian native infantry on the extreme right of the Battalion had lost their white officer and the enemy’s shelling had put the wind up them properly. . . . But there was one thing about them: over three years later the Battalion passed through a village they had been billeted in, and I saw several half-caste mites playing in the street.' 

As an alternative to buying the book, you can presently read it via the following link. The language used reflects the time in which it was written.

https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20200322

Some British sailors from the HMS India who were interned in Norway later married Norwegian women. Some of them stayed after the war, others left and never came back. At least 2 German POWs married Norwegian women (Paul Kristensen Weien and Hajo Hoffmann; the latter was expelled from Norway after World War II for collaborating with the Nazis) and Walter/Boleslaus Rominski fathered a child with a local woman but returned to Germany before the baby was born. That child grew up to join the Norwegian resistance and fought the Germans during WWII.