Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ZONNERBEKKE, WOW!!!!!

trenchwalker

hi all just got back home after to days of sure bliss.

It all started on friday at 1500 hours with getting to the town of wipers.

we then made our journey to the town of zonnerbekke where i met patrick and kristof busy as ever. we proceded to build camp with 3 GWS bell tents there was then much cleaning of lewis before a cup of tea. We proceded to build camp at wait for the rest of our party to arrive. meanwhile we mingled amongst French , Germans ,German Americans and a American German. We sat around te brasiers until 2 am when the party finally arrived .we then had many hours of dueling cokerals, singing german and at 0340 hours with a dutch member of the light horse the last man to turn in was a lance corporal at 0500 hours.

we then awoke at 0600 hours for lewis gun cleaning and camp building. Followed by a parade thorugh the town. Then gas drill, tea drinking and the museum.

members then proceded to sleep in the dug out under the chatuex for scaring school childern and relaxing. Others went in search into town for ration. Due to locals going to lunch sacrifices were made by having to sit in the bar until it opened. Ration were then collected and there was more cleaning of lewis gun followed by a large group of pals assending on the camp(there was much rejoicing). followed by much getting ready for the night ahead. ( IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO CAN TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN 1900 hours and 0700 hours pleases let me know :unsure:

on a serious note a great event much fun had by all and i am looking forward to photos and next time ;)

Was very very impressed by the tommies scrounging efforts. In the absence of a proper rum ration (as ever, seldom reaches destination) the lads appeared to have blagged some port from the Portuguese troops .......

You are absolutely right T.W, there was indeed much rejoicing. It was a terrific event with charming tableaux all over the place. The 2 English poilu's were welcomed like brothers by their French comrades whilst 2 English german privates were being patiently instructed by a german officer on the german drill words. Absolute reconciliation between the old enemies. Extraordinary. I can quite accept that everyone continued to have a whale of a time once the public had gone home. Never has living in damp tents and even damper holes in the ground seemed so appealing !

T.W gave us a tour of his Lewis and demonstrated a great mastery of the technical details of his pride and joy. Some young men have motor-bikes but TW has a light machine gun !

Great Fun. Well done to all who worked so hard to put the show on and take part.

Trenchie,

Must say thanks for the supply of Anzac biscuits - delish! How many freshly baked ones did you take? Was mum up all night baking? I have to say they were better than the freshly baked ones handed out today by the cookery lecturer at the IWM!

Can we ask you to publish the recipe to commemorate ANZAC day?

Martin

Trenchie,

Must say thanks for the supply of Anzac biscuits - delish! How many freshly baked ones did you take? Was mum up all night baking? I have to say they were better than the freshly baked ones handed out today by the cookery lecturer at the IWM!

Can we ask you to publish the recipe to commemorate ANZAC day?

Martin

glad you liked them.

mother lambert was up most of the day making them and a recipe will be up soon i had a kit bag fool and they all went. :D

All we need now is the recipe?

HINT? .....

Martin? I remember having a very long debate about the ingredients needed to make chewy Anzac bickies sometime late last year. I used to make them quite often for the girls when they were young and before they all went on diets! Golden syrup is the most important thing to remember. ALso bicarb soda, plain flour, oats (of course), butter or marg, and an egg? not sure re the egg...

Robbie

Yes, but Mrs Lamberts really were the best I have ever had so I was hoping Trenchie would oblige. We could sell them on Ebay!

Yes, but Mrs Lamberts really were the best I have ever had so I was hoping Trenchie would oblige. We could sell them on Ebay!

Indeed. I would bid £.50 each. Any advance on this?

Robbie

• 2 weeks later...

Anzac Biscuits as made by anzac friend of mine, (Recipe from her mum still in Auz)

1 cup (90g) rolled oats

1 cup (150g) plain flour

1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup (45g) desicated coconut

125g butter

2 tablespoons golden syrup

1 tablespoon water

1/2 teaspoon bicarb.

Combine oats, sieved flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl.

Combine the butter, syrup and water in a small pan. Stir constantly over medium heat until butter is melted and stri in the bicarb.

stir this mixture in to the dried mix.

Place rounded teaspoons of mix 5cms apart on lightly greased oven tray,

bake in moderately slow oven for approx 20mins or until biscuits feel firm.

Use spatula to loosen biscuits and place them on a rack to cool.

Hope you all make these this weekend and tell us next week how they compare to trenchies mum's!!!!

Mandy.

Anzac Biscuits as made by anzac friend of mine, (Recipe from her mum still in Auz)

1 cup (90g) rolled oats

1 cup (150g) plain flour

1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup (45g) desicated coconut

125g butter

2 tablespoons golden syrup

1 tablespoon water

1/2 teaspoon bicarb.

Combine oats, sieved flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl.

Combine the butter, syrup and water in a small pan. Stir constantly over medium heat until butter is melted and stri in the bicarb.

stir this mixture in to the dried mix.

Place rounded teaspoons of mix 5cms apart on lightly greased oven tray,

bake in moderately slow oven for approx 20mins or until biscuits feel firm.

Use spatula to loosen biscuits and place them on a rack to cool.

Hope you all make these this weekend and tell us next week how they compare to trenchies mum's!!!!

Mandy.

Hi Mandy,

I didn't put coconut in mine. Yum.

Robbie

You'll be making me some of these will ya then Robbie as an exchange for the borrowing of my belt that kept that moon from rising to far.

regards

Arm.

You'll be making me some of these will ya then Robbie as an exchange for the borrowing of my belt that kept that moon from rising to far.

regards

Arm.

No way. My bickie cooking days are well over, thank goodness. Had your belt been a designer label such as Armani, then I could possibly have been persuaded to make a come back. Was it M+S or Tesco?

Robbie :lol:

No way. My bickie cooking days are well over, thank goodness. Had your belt been a designer label such as Armani, then I could possibly have been persuaded to make a come back. Was it M+S or Tesco?

Robbie  :lol:

I can say that my belt has never been used in any of my M&S activities!

regards

Arm.