Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jugglers and circus people

Aurel Sercu

I don't know if I have a picture of her or not. I have a photograph of the Lena Ashwell Concert Party taken in Malta 1916

Hi Jim

The people in this photo are:

Theodore Flint (pianist, and leader of the party, seated far left)

(probably) Charles Thomas (entertainer, standing at back)

Greta Graham (soprano)

Grace Ivell (contralto)

Adelina Leon (cellist)

Kenneth Ellis (bass, seated far right)

I cannot say for sure which lady is which, so the order does not necessarily match the line-up in the photo.

Hi Jim

Greta Graham (soprano)

Grace Ivell (contralto)

Adelina Leon (cellist)

I cannot say for sure which lady is which, so the order does not necessarily match the line-up in the photo.

Thank you, Kate. A little disappointed as I had hoped that one of the women would have been Emily Pickford. Jim

.So : Does anyone know of or have information about British (or other) soldiers fallen in the Salient (or Flanders), and with a known grave, who had a career in the world of circus and variety show and theatre, as jugglers, acrobats, clowns etc. ? And if possible, with a story.

I fear that the response to this will be rather scarce, but I thought it was worth giving it a chance.

Aurel

What about "close"? I had two acrobats attestations that I kept out of curiosity... One turns out to be a casualty, but died in 1919. Enlisted in 1914, so he could have been in Flanders at least... And he is also buried in Ottawa, Canada, which might be a little far for your guests (but then you only said "known grave" :D)...

Attestation:

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc003/301401a.gif

CWGC:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...asualty=2756544

Pascal

Came across this photo. Its Sheffield during the Great War. Lizzie, belonged to a circus and was loaned for war work. Thought it may be of interest to those in this thread.

post-5904-1123486751.jpg

• 9 months later...
Hi Jim

Greta Graham (soprano)

Grace Ivell (contralto)

Adelina Leon (cellist)

Kate

im not sure you are right about charles thomas. photo looks like my grandfather who was one of the entertainers a ventriloquist. He was in charge of the party which were involved in the drowning accident on the somme feb 1919 when mrs pickford was drowned. he was instrumental in saving jean nolan who later presented him with an inscribed silver inkstand whic is suitting on my desk as I write.

grahame burrows

Thankyou Grahame, and welcome to the Forum.

Would your grandfather be Tom Burrows? There was a George Burrows too, who did much organising, and also played the piano.

I don't know if I have a picture of her or not. I have a photograph of the Lena Ashwell Concert Party taken in Malta 1916 but I don't know if Emily Pickford is one of them.

jim do youhave a higher res of the photo? I need it to identify one of the persons

grahame burrows

Thankyou Grahame, and welcome to the Forum.

Would your grandfather be Tom Burrows? There was a George Burrows too, who did much organising, and also played the piano.

kate

thanks for your response. he was definately tom burrows and was a ventriloquist. I have photos and also photo of the inkwell presented to him after the somme drowning incident. I have also obtained the lena ashwell book "modern troubadors" written in 1922 which lists all the entertainers and contains a thanks in the foward to tom burrows and others for their letters and diaries she used in writing the book (where are those letters and diaries now?). The book is very interesting although it does not specifically mention any of the prerformances or entertainers by name.

I have also e mailed terry powell twice but without reply asking where the information about the somme incident came from.

do you have any further information re tom burrows?

grahame burrows

• 2 weeks later...

Grahame,

Please excuse the delayed reply, but I have been otherwise engaged recently.

It is marvellous to make contact with the family of a Modern Troubadour. Thanks for the information on Tom, which adds to the picture of the tragedy at St Valery.

As to your question about Lena mentioning so few of her artistes by name in her book, my theory is, that as they were all self-employed and relied on good reviews and promotion for bookings, Lena may have felt she was giving an unfair advantage to those she was able to mention by name; so the fairest solution was to give everyone equal billing via the roll of names that concludes Modern Troubadours.

I don't know what has happened to Terry Powell, but I do know that a lady called Pat who also belongs to the WFA branch in Cardiff, was investigating Mary Pickford's story (who, as you know, came from Cardiff).

Have you had any more thoughts on the photo?

Best wishes

Kate

• 9 months later...

To return to the circus, here is a story I found in a mid-1915 magazine:

Saved by a Circus Horse

A French soldier named Private Ambroise Perrichon owes his life to a circus horse, which carried him from the field of battle into his own lines. Both the soldier's legs were shattered, and he lay help­lessly on the field waiting for death. A riderless white horse, feeding on the grass near where he lay, attracted the Frenchman's attention, and he whistled to it. To his surprise the animal immediately walked over to him and pushed its nose into his hand, whinnying with delight. The horse showed such intelligence that Perri­chon was struck with an idea. He pushed the horse's nose on to the leather belt round. his waist, and the animal, with almost human intelligence, grasped it in his teeth and lifted the unfortunate soldier from the ground. It was thus that the white charger carried the wounded soldier back to the French lines, and saved his life. Though in a state of collapse when he reached his friends, Private Perrichon recovered after hospital treatment. He has adopted the charger which saved his life, and ithas transpired that the animal is an old circus horse, and before the war had performed in a scena in which he had to carry his master round the sawdust ring.

• 1 year later...

Aurel,

This fellow is not in the Ypres Salient, but circus folk are few and far between, and I thought he might be of interest to you..

Private THOMAS JAMES KILDARE

Spts/1603, 23rd Bn., Royal Fusiliers

who died

on 27 July 1916

Remembered with honour

SERRE ROAD CEMETERY No.2

Thomas was an equestrian acrobat. He rode a horse while doing a trick called 'The Fireman's Ladder'.

Makes you wonder why he didn't join the cavalry.

• 11 years later...

Interestingly, I have been reading up on convalescent depots, which included entertainments  as a key form of therapy. Conv. Depot 4 held pows and during june 1919 they put together several circus performances. I have visions of ragged trousered clowns having read that upon inspection most of the camp divisions were found to have trousers in poor repair and obtaining replacements was apparently extremely difficult. Alas there are no names.

I started a thread 4 yrs ago called "uncommon civilian occupations" amongst which were a contortionist, an acrobat and a professional roller skater.

Simon