Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barroway Drove War Memorial, West Norfolk

chrisharley9

Janice

The 70th Provisional Battalion would have been a home service only battalion for coastal protection, so very unlikely to be mentioned on his Medal Index Card and seldom the sort of thing mentioned on Medal Rolls

There is a forum thread on the Provisional Battalions, but the most pertinent bit with regard to unit is:-

“70th Provisional Battalion (East Surrey) became 15th Royal Sussex Regiment (in 215th Brigade, 72nd Home Service Division)”

“Initially there were Coast Defence Battalions formed locally in May 1915 from Home Service personnel of the Territorial Force not available for overseas service or of low medical categories.”

“They were also grouped into Provisional Brigades along with newly formed companies of Royal Engineers, ASC, and Cyclists, a RFA Battery with Ammunition Column, a Yeomanry Squadron and a Field Ambulance. As there was no distinct regional bias to the formations they were later called Mixed Brigades. The name changes happened on January 1, 1917 under Army Council Instruction 2364 of 1916.”

If his Service Records survived then his company would be on his conduct sheet, otherwise unless it turns up somewhere like a personal correspondence, (his, or mentioned in someone else – a pal writing to the family offering condolences for example), I’m not sure there is any direct way of confirming what Company he was in.

I would imagine he was shipped out to join a battalion of the East Surrey Regiment long before it became the 15th Royal Sussex. If, for example, he was part of the 7th Battalion East Surrey, then when that unit disbanded in February 1918 as part of the General Re-organisation of the British Army he could then have been posted anywhere. The records of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, entries on Soldiers Died in the Great War and information provided by relatives as part of probate claims has failed to reflect this change in unit being served with well into the summer. A couple of examples – a large body of men transferred from the 8th Norfolks to the 8th Londons when the Norfolk unit was disbanded yet you will still find 8th Norfolk men being recorded as dieing and buried in frontline cemeteries and cemeteries associated with Casualty Clearing Stations – these are not men who were wounded or fell ill in January and lingered for months within sound of the guns.

The 151st (Durham Light Infantry) Brigade was part of the 50th Northumbrian Division. At that stage of the war it was made up of:-

1/6th Battalion Durham Light Infantry

1/8th Battalion Durham Light Infantry

1/5th Battalion Durham Light Infantry

151st Trench Mortar Battery

(By this stage of the war Machine Gun Troops were held at Divisional Level and allocated as needed).

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/50th-northumbrian-division/

The 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) were in the 86th Brigade of 29th Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/royalfus.htm

I then turned to Geoff’s search engine to do a trawl of the CWGC database to see how each unit was faring on this day, with a view to identifying which units war diary might best.

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search1421.php

The 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers record 41 deaths including William. Of these three could be discounted – one died of wounds at Etaples, the other two were attached to other units and have known final resting places. Of the remaining 38, 36 are recorded on the Ploegstreet Memorial,(3 having named Companies – “C”, “Y” and “Z”). Of the other two:-

Private William Thomas Allen was recovered subsequently from the battlefield and buried at Merville Communal Cemetery Extension. His body was found at Map Reference Sheet 36a.K.22.a.2.6. This was also recorded as the recovery location of two men of the 2/7th Royal Warwicks but a check shows they died on the 7th and 8th August 1918. (See the Concentration Report attached to William Allen’s CWGC page).

The CWGC piece on Merville Cemetery puts some context to this.

On the evening of 11 April 1918, in the Battles of the Lys, the Germans forced their way into Merville and the town was not retaken until 19 August.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/60102/MERVILLE%20COMMUNAL%20CEMETERY%20EXTENSION

The other man with a final resting place was Second Lieutenant G T S Rumball, M.C., who is believed to be buried at the Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension.

The CWGC notes for this cemetery includes “The hamlet was captured by the Germans on 12 April 1918”.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/4400/OUTTERSTEENE%20COMMUNAL%20CEMETERY%20EXTENSION,%20BAILLEUL

SDGW has him as George Thomas Sydney Rumball who was killed in action on this day.    

Mini-biography of George here

http://nickpowley.com/wordpress/?page_id=57

There is a lot on the actions of the DLI units here – although it records the whole of the 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers as being loaned to the 50th Division.

http://nickpowley.com/wordpress/?attachment_id=612

http://nickpowley.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/THESIS.pdf

(By the way, one of the other deaths recorded on the Ploegstreet Memorial was a Private Edward Barker. On CWGC the additional information links him to Tittleshall, Kings Lynn. SDGW has him born and resident “Whessonsett”. Possibly there was a draft of Norfolk men with the 2nd Battalion).

Of the other units – 6th Battalion DLI records no deaths on this day.

The 8th Battalion DLI have 7 – 6 on the Ploegstreet Memorial. The 7th was buried in the Pernes British Cemetery, which was started at this time by the 2 Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations that had retreated in the face of the German advance.

The 5th Battalion DLI have 3 – one can be discounted as buried at Etaples. A second was at St Vaast – lost to the Germans in the advance and recorded as believed to be buried. The third, Private C E Walker, was buried at Pont-Du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue. This area was also captured by the Germans in mid-April 1918. The Grave Registration document records that he and a number of others who died between 10th and 15th April 1918 were buried by the Germans. Several of those so buried were serving with the 5th, 7th and 8th DLI.

Of the other units of the 89th Brigade:-

1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers suffered 4 deaths, all remembered on the Ploegstreet Memorial.

1st Battalion Royal Guernsey Light Infantry suffered 66 fatalities – most recorded on the Ploegstreet Memorial

From “Royal Fusiliers in the Great War” by H C O’Neill.

(Page 256) The Lys. – With the same suddenness that the offensive on the Somme had begun, the storm broke on the Lys. Almost at once defences which had the prescriptive right of three and a half years’ tenure were swept away, and

(Page 257) new crises appeared. In the original attack no Royal Fusilier units were involved. But the battle had not been joined long before the 2nd and 4th Battalions were both summoned to the area. During the Somme offensive the 2nd Battalion had been engaged on the Gravenstafel defence line, and they remained in the Ypres area until the Battle of the Lys began. On April 10th they arrived by bus at Vieux Berquin at 6.30 a.m. They were sent in the evening to occupy positions in support of the troops holding Estaires, but at 4 a.m. they withdrew, handing over to the 5th Durham Light Infantry, who had evacuated Estaires.  At noon they took over the defences of Doulieu with three companies. In a few hours the village was the centre of brisk fighting, and the support company (Z) had to be sent to the right flank position, where the Germans were making headway too rapidly.

As the day wore on Doulieu tended to become the apex of a small salient, but the men held on until 2 a.m. of the 12th, when they were ordered to retire. They fell back about two miles, and at 9 a.m. they were heavily attacked in an isolated position. The 31st Division, on the right, had retired; and the battalion fell back gradually to the village of Bleu, which was held by the remnants of the 86th and 87th Brigades until 4 p.m. The British line had now begun to show gaps under the continued pressure of superior forces, and the enemy pushed through and seized Outtersterne and Merris. The 2nd Battalion fell back once more to the Vieux Berquin-Outtersterne road up to the Farm Labis, where the left was drawn back along the edge of a wood. The day had been one of very heavy fighting on positions which could not be maintained in face of the forces pitted against them.

The Germans attacked heavily early in the morning of the 13th, but were held up by the left post, which inflicted considerable casualties by machine-gun fire. The catching fire of an ammunition dump on the right front of the battalion formed a useful diversion by causing confusion

(Page 258) among the Germans as they formed up in its vicinity.  But the attack developed very heavily against Vieux Berquin on the right of the battalion, and the troops holding it were driven back. The support troops on the right of the 2nd Battalion also retired, and the right flank was then left open. At nightfall both flanks were left open, Vieux Berquin had fallen, and the Germans had passed the small island of troops on the north and south. The battalion were withdrawn during the night, and on the 14th arrived at Borre. In the fifty-two hours they had spent in the Lys battle area the 2nd Royal Fusiliers had 15 officers and 324 other rank casualties. They were true to their fate in finding the hottest part in the battlefield; but their steadfast stand had played no small part in gaining time for the deployment of reinforcements. Included in the casualties were Captain H.V. Wells, Lieutenant L.B. Solomon, Second Lieutenants H. Norwell, N.H.Willett,  H.L. Mepham,  G.T.S. Rumball and F.J.A. Wilson. On April 15th a composite brigade was formed, the 2nd Royal Fusiliers forming No.1 Battalion, two other battalions making up No.2 Battalion, of the 87th Brigade.

Hope some of that helps,

Peter

• 1 month later...

A 15th candidate for the war memorial has been found. This is Private 22161 Frederick Height or Hite of the 11th battalion Suffolk Regiment who died on 24th May 1916.He was born c.1894 and was living in Barroway Drove in 1901 and 1911 with his parents William & Mary Ann.

We have also been able to identify the American airmen who died when their B17 Flying Fortress "Tenny Belle" crashed in White City, Barroway Drove on 11th April 1944. The crew was as follows:

Daly Jr John E 2nd Lieutenant Pilot KIA O-805776 buried Cambridge

Koerber Robert W 2nd Lieutenant Co Pilot KIA O-692968 buried Cambridge

Evans William F 2nd Lieutenant Navigator WIA O-694353 survived

Christensen Carl B Staff Sergeant Nose Gunner KIA 36276991

Langendoerfer Adriel W Tech Sergeant Engineer Top Turret Gunner KIA 37406828

Young Omer L Tech Sergeant Radio Operator KIA 17070153

Tuber Harvey W Staff Sergeant Ball Turret Gunner KIA 36329211

MacCallum John NMI Staff Sergeant Right Waist Gunner KIA 11100403 buried Cambridge

Hearne Frank J Staff Sergeant Left Waist Gunner KIA 35579373

Polizzo Howard J Staff Sergeant Tail Gunner KIA 31313795

We are still trying to identify the Mosquito and crew which also crashed in Barroway Drove during WW2.

Hi Peter

I've only just found your post regarding William Whybrow - I failed to notice there was a second page. I shall study this some more but it is already helping me to make sense of my info.

Janice

4 hours ago, janice52 said:

We are still trying to identify the Mosquito and crew which also crashed in Barroway Drove during WW2.

Janice,

I can't think of any quick way to track the crash down based on that - including using Mr Google cos I tried :-)

The Aviation Safety Network website lists 3,399 Mosquito crashes - the first 200 it randomly selected for me included one at East Winch and two "in or near the Wash".

I'd suggest joining either the RAF Commands Forum

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/

or Twelve O'clock High.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/

Like all these forums there will probably be someone there with there own private database set-up in such a way that will make a search based on crash-location an absolute doddle :-)

Alternatively I'm still a member of the RAF Commands Forum so if you can furnish me any more details I'll raise a query there on your behalf,

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I have already joined ww2aircraft.net and posted on there. Have had quite a few replies and have narrowed it down to 2 possible crashes - 9th October 1944 & 8th June 1945 both of which had 2 casualties whose deaths are registered in Downham district. I'm now looking for details of the crash sites in order to find the correct one. 

Janice

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have registered with this forum as a result of finding my Great Uncle mentioned here. He was Charles Nicholls, of West Head, Stow Bardolph. I see that there is some confusion as to which person of that name is the right local man to die in the first world war in 1918. I can confirm that it was Charles, son of Henry and Fanny Nicholls. He was the youngest of a large family, and made it almost to the end of the war. His brother James was my Grandfather.

Hi Sozzleduk and welcome to the forum.

Janice hasn't been here for a while and she's the driving force behind the planned memorial. I've sent her an e-mail to let her know you have posted.

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sozzleduk

I have sent you a private message with my email address and would love to hear from you to discuss Charles and our war memorial. 

Janice

• 1 year later...

The final arrangements for the unveiling of the Barroway Drove war memorial have now been made. This will take place on Sunday 11th November 2018 at 2pm in Barroway Drove Village Hall. A short service at 2.15pm will be followed by the unveiling. After this light refreshments will be served and there will be an opportunity to view old photographs and other village memorabilia. There will also be a military vehicle display

You are welcome to attend and I look forward to meeting you if you can make it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

The unveiling of Barroway Drove War Memorial took place on 11th November 2018. The weather held and we had a lovely sunny day. The Village Hall was full – over 150 chairs were provided but some still had to stand.

Vicki Howling acted as MC throughout. After outlining the schedule she introduced Cornerstone who conducted a short memorial service. Vicki continued by thanking all those who had contributed in any way. After that a direct camera feed gave the audience a view of the unveiling by Lady Rose Hare which took place in the foyer.

People were then able to move about and enjoy refreshments provided by the Women’s Institute, look at the memorial and various displays while chatting to friends. The displays included some military vehicles, military equipment, a display (supplied by Fenland and West Norfolk Aviation Museum) relating to the Tenny Belle which crashed in the village in WW2 plus Barroway Drove history memorabilia.

A booklet has been produced titled ‘Barroway Drove at War’ which includes a short biography of all those on the memorial. It is priced at £5 plus postage (for the USA this comes to £10).

Some photos are available on Facebook (see link below) and I’m hoping there will be more soon.

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/barroway+drove+village+hall/keywords_blended_posts?filters=eyJycF9hdXRob3IiOiJ7XCJuYW1lXCI6XCJtZXJnZWRfcHVibGljX3Bvc3RzXCIsXCJhcmdzXCI6XCJcIn0ifQ%3D%3D

Janice

A brilliant result Janice, thanks to your sterling effort. I'm glad it all came together in time.

Now for a roll of honour for those from the village who went and survived, (kidding :-)

All the best,

Peter

Actually the booklet we produced does include a list of those we believe to have served. This has been arrived at by searching and also looking at Absent Voters Lists and the Council Smallholding created for returning soldiers. For such a small village there are rather a lot.

·         Robert Allcock (1919) – Private (Pte) 41041 in Kings Own (Royal Lancashire Regiment)

·         Alfred Ambrose (Lord Berners Inn) – Sergeant (Sgt) 1290 in Norfolk Yeomanry (Yeo) and Sgt 320004 in Norfolk Regiment (Regt)

·         Herbert Ambrose – Driver (Dvr) 131782 in Royal Field Artillery     

·         John William Ambrose (Lord Berners Inn) (1919) – Dvr T/291849 in Army Service Corps

·         George Archer (Hooton’s Row) (1919) – Pte 240469 in Agricultural (Agric) Company (Co)           

·         Ernest Edward Barlow (Ouse Bank) – Sapper (Spr) 268883 and WR/271139 in Royal Engineers

·         Ernest Albert Barrett (1919) – Pte 10874 in Buffs (Royal East Kent Regt) and Pte 04851 in Hampshire Regt

·         John Laurence Barrett – Pte 4217 in Cambridgeshire Regt

·         George Willis Battleday (1919) – Pte 240247 in Norfolk Regt

·         Harry Bell (Hooton’s Row) (1919) – Pte 2141 and 240284 in Norfolk Regt

·         William Gunn Bell (Hooton’s Row) (1919) – Pte A204808 in Kings Royal Rifle Corps

·         Harry Bellham (Ouse Bank) – Pte 203321 in Middlesex Regt

·         George Frederick Ayres Betts (Lady’s Drove) – Pte 4177 in Cambridgeshire Regt, Pte 225213 in Northamptonshire (Northants) Regt and Pte 535530 in Labour Corps

·         James Henry Betts (Lady Drove) – Cpl 2142 and 240249 in Norfolk Regt

·         Richard John William Bird (near Black Horse) (1919) – G/10701 in The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regt

·         Frederick Booty (Taylors Row) (1919) – Pte 5054 Leicestershire Regt

·         Matthew Booty (Taylors Row) (1919) – Pte F/25297 in Army Service Corps

·         James Naylor Bowles (1919) – Pte 20905 in Norfolk Regt and Pte 458578 in Labour Corps

·         Robert Charles Bowman (West Head) – Pte 201581 in Norfolk Regt

·         Ernest Brown (Hooton’s Row) – Pte 5/5806 and 241384 in Northumberland Fusiliers

·         George Brown (died)

·         Harry Brown (Hooton’s Row) (1919) – Gnr 179175 in Royal Garrison Artillery

·         Herbert Brown (Hooton’s Row) (1919)

·         George Edward Carter – Pte 273506 in Agric Co

·         John William Carter – Pte 42515 in Kings Royal Rifle Regt and Pte 47123 in Dorset Regt

·         Thomas Carter (1919)

·         William Cave (died)

·         Ernest Johnson Clarke – Pte 21158 in Border Regt and Pte 662927 in Labour Corps

·         George Edward Coates

·         Henry Charles Cooke (Shrubbery Farm) – Pte M2/227478 in Army Service Corps

·         Samuel Wilson Copsey (Hooton’s Row) (1919) – Pte 26907 in Suffolk Regt

·         Edmund Crofts (parents Hooton’s Row) (1919)

·         Harry Crofts (Ouse Bank) (parents Hooton’s Row 1917) – Pte 242059 in Agric Co

·         Jesse Crofts (parents Hooton’s Row) (died)

·         William Crofts (West Head Road) (parents Hooton’s Row 1917) – Pte 45360 in The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regt, Pte 51494 in West Yorkshire Regt, Pte 64942 in Labour Corps and Pte 40035 in Royal Munster Fusiliers.

·         Herbert John Croxford (died)

·         George William Dack – Pte 16709 in Norfolk Regt

·         Philip Dack (Taylors Row) (1919)

·         Stanley Everett (1919) – Pte 40094 in Royal Fusiliers and Pte 62489 in Labour Corps

·         George Henry Feetham (Ouse Bank) – Pte 378095 in Norfolk Regt, Pte 22187 in Essex Regt and Pte 323840 in Labour Corps

·         James Henry Fendley (West Head) (1919)

·         Frank Thomas Fisher (Stow Fen) – Pte 38566 in East Surrey Regt and Pte 41431 in East Lancashire Regt

·         George Henry Fisher (Stow Fen) (died)

·         Harold Golding (West Head) – Pte 28292 in Royal Rifle Corps

·         Bertie Good (1919) – Gunner (Gnr) 124806 in Royal Field Artillery

·         Valentine Gooding (Ouse Bank/Low Road) – Pte 33315 in Royal Fusiliers and Pte 63348 in Labour Corps

·         John Robert Green (Wards Chase) – Pte 17320 in Royal Fusiliers and Pte 59602 in Labour Corps

·         Arthur Groom (Ouse Bank) – Gnr 200572 in Royal Field Artillery

·         Cyril Reginald Harwin – Pte F/29061 in Army Service Corps

·         Herbert Hatton (Ouse Bank) (Rays Farm 1901) – Pte 158233 in Agric Co

·         William Haverson (Eel Pie Inn) – Pte 8940 in the Queens Regt and Pte 396979 in Labour Co

·         Reginald Haynes (Ouse Bank) – Gnr 141863 in Royal Field Artillery

·         Samuel Haynes (Ouse Bank) – Pte 32623 in Norfolk Regt, Pte 41780 in Cambridgeshire Regt and in Suffolk Regt

·         Frederick James Hite (Taylors Row) (died)

·         Percy Hite (Taylors Row) – Pte 45378 in Suffolk Regt and Pte 40562 in Northants Regt

·         Herbert Hensby (Taylors Row) – Pte 16927 in Army Veterinary Corps and Pte 437454 in Labour Corps

·         William Hooton (Engine Road/West Head Road) – Pte G/8086 in The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regt

·         Ernest Hopkin (Stow Fen) – Pte 29536 in Norfolk Regt

·         James Buzzard Hovell (Ouse Bank) – Pte 203891 in East Surrey Regt

·         Charles Hubbard (1919) – Pte 149518 in Labour Corps

·         Simon Hubbard (died)

·         Ernest William Hudson (Hooton’s Row) (1919) – Pte 4248 and 240895 in Norfolk Regt

·         Herbert John Hudson (died)

·         James Henry Hudson (Hooton’s Row) (1919) – Pte 28067 in Essex Regt and Pte 26522 in Hampshire Regt

·         Martin Luther Hutson (West Head Road) – Pte GS/2474 in Royal Hussars and 2nd Lieutenant (2Lt) GS/49853 in Machine Gun Corps

·         Walter Martin Hutson (West Head Road) – Sgt 320090 in Norfolk Regt

·         Thomas Edward Ilitt (Stowbridge) – Pte D/28195 in Reserve Cavalry and Private 549313 in Agric Co

·         Bertie Johnson – Gnr 157518 in Royal Field Artillery

·         Ernest Jolly (Ouse Bank) – Pte 328130 in Cambridgeshire Regt

·         Robert John Jolly (Wards Chase) – Gnr 146233 in Royal Field Artillery

·         Frank Hensby Lewis (1919) – Pte 138519 in Royal Garrison Artillery

·         Frederick Francis Lewis – Pte 25670 in Norfolk Regt and Pte 040692 in Royal Army Ordnance Corps

·         Charles Pond Mack (Lady’s Drove) – Pte N/284156 in Army Service Corps

·         Frank Mack (Lady’s Drove) – Pte 28295 in Royal Rifle Corps

·         Horace William Mack (Lady’s Drove) – Sgt 243133 in Norfolk Regt

·         Arthur George Nicholls (West Head) – Pte 45750 in Royal Defence Corps

·         Charles Nicholls (died)

·         Frederick Walter Nicholls (West Head) – Sgt 5/6833 in West Riding Regt and 2Lt Lincolnshire Regt

·         Harry Nicholls (West Head) – Pte 21313 in Northants Regt and Pte 549318 in Labour Corps

·         James Willis Nicholls (West Head) –Gnr 99070 in Royal Field Artillery and Gnr 595334 in Labour Corps

·         Robert Balding Pearce (1919)

·         Ralph Pooley (Ouse Bank) – Cpl SE16090 in Army Veterinary Corps

·         Ralph Rayner (West Head) – Pte 29846 in Norfolk Regt

·         Horace William Redhead (1919) – Gnr 147060 in Royal Field Artillery

·         Harold Vernon Reeve

·         William George Reeve (West Head Road) – Pte 1968 in Suffolk Yeo and Pte 320471 in Suffolk Regt

·         George Richardson (1919) – Pte 40243 in Norfolk Regt

·         Percy Richardson (1919) – Pte 17530 in The Queens Regt and Pte 55564 in Labour Corps

·         William Ground Richardson (1919) – Pte G/52573 in Middlesex Regt

·         Alfred Egbert Rolfe (Ouse Bank) – Gnr 134608 in Royal Garrison Artillery

·         Arthur Savage (Ouse Bank) – possibly Guardsman 24246 in Grenadier Guards

·         Arthur William Savage (Pumping Engine House) – Pte 240455 in Labour Corps

·         Charles Henry Savage (Pumping Engine House) – Guardsman 22354 in Grenadier Guards

·         Edward Savage (Ouse Bank) – Pte 49142 in Royal Fusiliers and Pte 679908 in Labour Corps

·         Alfred Maurice Smith – Pte 53542 in Suffolk Regt

·         James David Smith – Pte in Lincolnshire Regt

·         John Thomas Smith (died)

·         Ralph Edward Smith (died)

·         William Neave Smith – Spr 175511 in Royal Engineers

·         John Robert Southwell (1919) – Pte 25673 in Norfolk Regt

·         Frederick Sutton – Pte 39332 in Northants Regt and Pte 40911 in Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regt

·         Thomas William Sutton (died)

·         John Thompson (West Head) (1919)

·         George William Thorpe (1919) – Pte 8106, 61363 and 203098 in Northants Regt, Pte G/4034 in The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regt and Pte 480508 in Labour Corps

·         John William Tiffen (Engine Road) – Pte GS/48647 in Royal Fusiliers

·         Sidney Tiffen (Engine Road) – Pte G/26116 in Buffs (Royal East Kent Regt)

·         Bertie Towson (1919) – Pte 320988 in Norfolk Regt

·         Frederick William Towson (died)

·         William Owen Towson (1919) – Pte 24217 in Norfolk Regt and Pte 52337 in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regt

·         Robert Turner (died)

·         George Willian Venni (The Wash) – Pte 25333 in Norfolk Regt and Pte 48656 in Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

·         Stanley Victor Venni (The Wash) – Pte 577031 in Labour Corps

·         Arthur Webb – Pte 2147 in Norfolk Regt and Pte 429053 in Labour Corps

·         Walter Webb – Pte 24003 in Gordon Highlanders

·         William Wheeler (1919)

·         William Whybrow (died)

·         Frank William Wilson (Ouse Bank) – Gnr 172195 in Royal Field Artillery and Gnr 202873 in Royal Garrison Artillery

·         George William Wright (Ouse Bank)

This includes all absent voters in West Stow which includes parts of Stowbridge.

1919 indicates that they took on land in the newly allocated council smallholdings.