Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aeroplane antenna reel

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

This reel unit was apparently mounted on the side of the cockpit with a long, wire type antenna and lowered through an insulated grommet on the floor of the aircraft. The antenna was then trailed beneath and behind the plane while flying, and wound up by hand crank before landing. Markings on the assembly read: SIGNAL CORPS U.S. ARMY / AEROPLANE RADIO ANTENNA REEL TYPE DR-2 [WITH THE GOVERNMENT CONTRACT NUMBER] APRIL 4, 1918 / MADE BY L. S. BRAGH COMPANY, NEWARK, N.J.

I have been able to find little information about this early mode of wireless communication on the web, and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me a little bit. Also, an actual period photo of this unit in an airplane might be interesting to see.

Gary

post-5505-1114263997.jpg

Gary

You might try to get a copy of Peter Cooksley's The RFC/RNAS Handbook, which has a couple of pages about airborne wireless use. There is also an overview in W M Lambert's Reconnaisance and Bomber Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War.

A photograph of a BE 2c with an antenna reel fitted next to the pilot's cockpit is below.

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1114298101.jpg

Guest Gary Davidson

Gareth --

Wow! Gareth hits it out of the ballpark again. Two references AND a photograph. Thank you!

I have also been informed that there is a good account of this mode of wireless communication being used by Bristol Fighters in Vivien Voss's book 'Flying Minnows.'

Gary

I remember that Cecil Day Lewis in 'Sagittarius Rising' gives some good accounts of cranking an aerial and the problems it could cause.

From my grandfather's notebook from RAF School #3 in Egypt, ca. 1918.

And the text to go with it.

Mike Morrison

Guest Gary Davidson

Fred --

Thanks for the heads up about the mention of this mode of wireless communication in Cecil Day Lewis’ 'Sagittarius Rising.' That tome is on my want list.

Mike --

Your grandfather’s school notebooks from flight school are a real treat. Amazing draftsmanship and detailed note taking! (If you have some more, please post!) I can almost visualize what it was like sitting in that classroom listening to that same lecture. And I love the last line: “... and always remember when you go into the air to put plug in.” Yeah, that would be good.

Gary

Gary,

I have two notebooks full of drawings, notes, charts and printed schematics of every aspect of flying. My grandfather was RGA and remained RGA as he earned his wings at school in Heliopolis on Armistice day, then went back to his RGA unit in Salonika for demob. I contacted the RAF Museum once an offered them up but never hard back from them.

Guest Gary Davidson

Mike --

I remember reading somewhere that the RAF museum at one point had a warehouse whose shelves were filled with log books (I believe they were measuring them by the yard) and other original RFC documents but had to destroy most of them due of lack of space, keeping only a small representative example. In the museum's defense, I am sure they were flooded with documents in the years following the war. Unfortunately, for someone like myself, a collector of WW1 aeroanutica, it still breaks my heart to hear that story.

I find it not too surprising that you never got a response back from the musem.

Gary

From my grandfather's notebook from RAF School #3 in Egypt, ca. 1918.

Could you get them published? Maybe Cross and Cockade or one of the other WW1 magazines would be interested.

Further to Mike Morrison's posting, here is another variation on the training theme.

These are the notes of an RFC cadet/future pilot during his initial one month basic course on the subjects of Wireless and the Conducting of a Shoot (Wantage Hall, Reading, March 1917).

Hope it's legible.

Chris

post-2647-1114593481.jpg

Gary - Thanks very much for that information. It is a shame that they had that storage problem. Had they taken the time to reply and tell me that, it would have left a better taste.

Per ardua - I'm game. Who would I contact to see if there is an interest. I would also ask about the book I'm researching now on the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade , RGA, TF.

Chris - That gives wonderful insight to the approach to this new technology and how well they did with it. Thanks for posting it.

Mike

Per ardua - I'm game. Who would I contact to see if there is an interest.  I would also ask about the book I'm researching now on the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade , RGA, TF.

Sorry, I don’t have a contact - I just thought they might be interested.

Thanks for he suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. As they get older and more fragile, copying and scanning will be a priority, but second right now to research on the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade.

Mike