Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N.Z.E.F.

CROONAERT

I've just obtained the N.Z.E.F. Roll of Honour (similar to "Soldiers Died" but for New Zealand troops).

Anybody need any "look ups", feel free to ask...

Dave.

Dave I wrote a Stand To! article about Samuell Hill a Kentucky man who died in NZ Army. I am curious to know if there are any other US. However I do not think their ROH gives nationality.

Paul.

Unfortunately, you're correct there. No nationalities (or places of birth) mentioned.

Just out of curiosity, is the Samuell Hill that you wrote about the one who was run over by a lorry in June 1918 (60371 Rfm.Samuell Douthitt Hill, N.Z.R.B.)?

(I tend to write little "add ons" of information on (copy!!!) casualty lists in my possession when I learn it)

Dave.

Yes Dave that's the man. If you are ever near here take a look at his memorial in New Castle, Kentucky. I think the article has a picture, I do not have my ST!'s here. It's near Louisville.

I had debated whether I should get ABMC to change his name from the incorrect Samuel to Samuell since his lawyer brother AEF officer and lawyer had been copied with a letter saying Samuel would be on the headstone. But when I got to the cemetery I saw a replica of a WW1 US Christian headstone between his parents graves with name spelled correctly and details of his burial on the reverse. I had proof of what they wanted and had it changed.

• 7 months later...

Dave,

Thetford Grammar School Old Boy Trooper Lionel Edwin Rolph 17575, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, NZEF died on 15/11/17 and is in the Cairo War Memorial Cemetery.

Grateful for any help you can give with this project.

Best wishes,

David

Is this of use?

Surname HILL

Given Name Samuel Douthitt

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 60371

Rank Corporal

Next of Kin Title B F

Next of Kin Surname HILL

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address New Castle Kentucky United States of America

Roll Roll 72

Page Page 27

Occupation American Consular Officer

ALSO

Surname ROLPH

Given Name Lionel Edwin

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 17575

Rank Corporal

Next of Kin Title Mrs D

Next of Kin Surname ROLPH

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address Epsom Road Upper Riccarton Christchurch

Roll Roll 53

Page Page 1

Occupation Farmer

Aren't the New Zealand Genealogists wonderful - this is from the excellent CD that Christine L. recommended some time ago.

Regards,

Martin

You beat me to it Martin, by one minute! So I deleted my posting.

but here is a record of his will

ROLPH Lionel Edwin Austin

Farmer of Christchurch

probate number 9686

Christchurch Court

filed date 14 January 1918

will

Furthur enquiries to Archives NZ Christchurch

Christchurch Regional Office

90 Peterborough Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

PO Box 642, Christchurch, New Zealand

Phone: (64-3) 377 0760

Fax: (64-3) 365 2662

Email Address: christchurch@archives.govt.nz

Open: 9.30 a.m.- 5.00 p.m. Monday to Friday

http://www.archives.govt.nz/index.html

Martin and Christine,

Wow - that was quick! Very many thanks.

Is there any way in which I can get material which might explain his time between leaving school and joining the NZEF, and of finding out what his unit did?

Best wishes,

David

When & where was he born and married? If you can give some indication of dates, some info might be possible from electoral rolls in NZ.

What British censuses is he in?

Yes I think so, for a price

Christine,

Thanks.

He is in the 1901 Census.

Lionel Edwin Austin Rolph

born: May 1892, Lakenheath Suffolk UK

Thetford Grammar School: Jan 1905 - Dec 1907

Residence: Lakenheath

Father: Edwin J Rolph, farmer

This is all I have at present.

Many thanks for anything else you can find.

The school has ordered the service records for our two Canadians from the National Archives of Canada. Is it possible to do the same thing in New Zealand?

Has anyone written about the Canterbury Mounted Rifles?

Best wishes,

David

Yes you can get a photocopy of his complete file, just quote the name and no. off the reference. Email

lynly.yates@nzdf.mil.nz.

one copy free to NZers per year. Not sure about overseas

There probably is a book about the regiment. Perhaps Robert Dunlop knows

The entry from the CD, supplied by Martin

Full name, Regimental number

David,

I checked the electoral rolls for the 1914 and 1919 elections, Riccarton electorate, and found nothing.

I checked our War Dead registrations and found him as number 10243, but I shouldn't think that would give you any more than CWGC.

No marriages 1910-1916

He sailed on the Manuka, February 8, 1917 and was in the Mounted Rifles Brigade

I checked the births in case there was a child, and came across a strange entry in 1913- handwritten in, not the normal typed list.

Edward Thomas Rolph no 2854 ( 1917)

This usually means a late registration which is added in by hand, and appears twice, once in the year it was registered , and once in the year it actually happened.

But the name ROLPH was listed in the RO section yet looked like RA. and there was no matching entry in for ROLPH in 1917.

This could be his child, but may be a RALPH child.

Get a copy of the will, and it should show whether there were offspring

The Upper Riccarton area of Christchurch was a horse racing area, with stables and horse farms.There is still a race course there He was obviously familiar with horses so joined a mounted unit

Christine,

Thank you very much for your efforts on our behalf. We now have more information than previously. Looks like we'd better try for the will and the service record. Will let you know how we get on.

Lakenheath was not, and is not, an area noted for horse racing but being a farmer's son Lionel would have been quite familiar with horses.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

David

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sarah gibson

I would be very greatful ir you could look up Clement arthur dartnall for me. His service number was 6/2590, and he died on 15/11/1918. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I would be very greatful ir you could look up Clement arthur dartnall for me. His service number was 6/2590, and he died on 15/11/1918. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2/Lt. Clement Arthur Dartnall M.M., was in the Canterbury Infantry regiment and he Died of Disease in New Zealand on 15/11/18.

He was the son of Henry and Sarah Dartnall of Christchurch and is buried in Featherston Cemetery, N.Z.

Dave.

The chances are it was the flu, in the epidemic, but the only way to be sure is to get a copy of his personal file, address above, which would be free if you are in NZ, or his death certificate, which would cost $30!

Any help would be appreciated on the following:

7/875 Trooper DANIEL MIDDLEMISS, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F.

Killled (or died of wounds?) Gallipoli, 28/08/1915. Next of Kin from NZ. Age 20

No other info known?

Thanks in advance

David

Canada,

(Really FAR from NZ!)