Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German model 1887 ammunition pouch

Shaun C Killeen

Hello and good day. I am looking for some information on a newly acquired piece to my collection. I love finding personalized pieces of equipment because it lends some hope to you being able to actually track where that item may have been. This ammunition pouch is in excellent condition as all the leather is intact with no broken eyelets for the studs. The leather is a little stiff but the tab on the front is flexible so opening the lid is no trouble. The insert is stiff but removable and I’m assuming that this was for the 11 mm black powder cartridge, holding a total of 20.  I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction on where I can look for information on deciphering the regimental numbers stamped inside the lid. It also looks to be signed in pencil by the owner. Thank you for any and all help that you may have and as always, be well and stay safe.
Cheers! 

si vis pacem, para bellum

IMG_2264.jpeg

IMG_2265.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

The soldier´s name was Fischer. He served with a company which was part of 2nd battailion Reserve-Infantrie-Regiment 54 according to the stamp. However there was no RIR 54, only a IR 54.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, Shaun C Killeen said:

this resource does seem to indicate a reserve infantry division in the roster with that number

Division? Yes.

Reserve-Infantrie Regiment 54? No.

As I wrote: There was no RIR 54.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Forgive my ignorance I am just merely looking for information as this part of the research is new to me