Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Thomas Gordon Shaw RFC. killed in action 17 March 1918. Why no British War Medal?

rolt968

This is thw front of the medal rolls index card for 2/Lt Thomas Gordon Shaw, RFC (ancestry),:

TGShawMRIC.jpg.8627fe6319a86b406c988842ac38e459.jpg

Only the Victory Medal was awarded. However he was killed in action on 17 March 1918 near Bellicourt? (Casualty Card - RAF Museum). The MRIC has the wrong date.

There is a remarkabe number of records for T G Shaw since there are both RAF records (including a brief other rank's record) and army records (including an officer's record at TNA).

The MRIC seems a little confused or confusing. In addition to the wrong date of death, I don't know why his other ranks details appear since he did not serve overseas until he was commissioned.

• Can anyone please decipher the phrase beginning "No rank" in the Remarks box?

I haven't yet worked out exactly when he went to France. He joined 23 Squadron (incidentally another error - CWGC has it as 94 Squadron) on 9 February 1918.

• Could it be that although he was killed he had not been in France long enough to qualify  for the British War Medal?

RM

Edited by rolt968

Apologies - may be me mis-reading that MiC but the entry against the British War Medal line appears to be a standard ditto of the line above. Both medals were awarded, and as he died before the RAF came into existance the medal award was dealt with by the Army rather than the Air Ministry.

As an Army Officer he  or his next of kin would have had to apply for his medals. For men serving in the ranks any service medal entitlement would have been sent out automatically. For Officers commissioned from the ranks it's not uncommon to see the earlier other ranks service number shown - even when as here it then leads to a note "No rank service o\s".

Cheers,
Peter

4 minutes ago, PRC said:

Apologies - may be me mis-reading that MiC but the entry against the British War Medal line appears to be a standard ditto of the line above. Both medals were awarded, and as he died before the RAF came into existance the medal award was dealt with by the Army rather than the Air Ministry.

As an Army Officer he  or his next of kin would have had to apply for his medals. For men serving in the ranks any service medal entitlement would have been sent out automatically. For Officers commissioned from the ranks it's not uncommon to see the earlier other ranks service number shown - even when as here it then leads to a note "No rank service o\s".

Cheers,
Peter

Many thanks.

Now you say that, Peter, I can see that it could be ditto and also the bracket does look as if it covers both lines. The Medal Roll is a little ambiguous. It's one of those where neither the and or the or between  Victory Medal and British War Medal at the top has been scored out.

Also thank you for deciphering the "No rank" phrase.

RM