Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Elder Dempster Fleet in the War 1914-1918

I've recently acquired a copy of The Elder Dempster Fleet in the War 1914-1918, published by the company in 1921.

As well as descriptions of some of the major incidents involving the company and its fleet, there is a Roll of Honour of employees who died during the war. This is set out in two parts - those who did not die on one of the vessels lost, and the crew casualty lists for the 36 vessels lost. There is also a list of employees who were honoured (including foreign awards and mentions or commendations in the London(?) Gazette).

The crew lists give the date of sinking, name and the rank of the crew members. The other list gives names, the department in which the person worked and a date and country of death.

The vessels concerned are:

SS Falaba

SS Ilaro

SS Yola

SS Mendi

SS Memnon

SS Aburi

SS Abosso

SS Addah

SS Elele

SS Eloby

SS Karina

SS Akassa

SS Sapele

SS Umgeni

SS Apapa

SS Asaba

SS Agberi

SS Estrella

SS Indore

SS Burutu

James

• 1 year later...

Hello, in first time I´m sorry for my bad english. I´m spanish and I´m making a research about an egyptian collection that arrive to Tenerife (Canary Is) on 1908. The collection came here at board of SS Addah and I´m looking for the full information that I can. I know that SS Addah was a streamer that did travel Liverpool to Oprobo, and it stop in Tenerife. I know that it was sunk in 1917. I´m very grateful for the information you can give me.

• 10 years later...
Guest Claireabella39

Hi, I know it's been years since you posted this, but I was wondering if there was an image of the SS Agberi in the book.  If there isn't, it will save me a trip to the library in Liverpool. Thanks.

C39

I too have seen the book he refers to, here in the Southampton Maritime Collection. I would be surprised if there wasn't a copy in Liverpool (home to much of Elder Dempster's fleet). If there isn't a pic of the AGBERI there then there are other reference books on the Company. If you don't find one there is always the possibility of seeing a sister ship of the same build/year/tonnage. This detail can be found by searching the Lloyd's List for the names shown above. Liverpool, like Southampton, has a Maritime Collection of reference books.