Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glasnevin volunteer training corps

TD60

Neil

A couple of questions for you

I've only given the volunteers a passing interest but do I recall seeing in the East Kent Gazette that men who succeeded at the tribunals were forced to join them (or was it the Special constabulary?)?

Secondly, were they accommodated in the TF drill halls?

Mick

Michael,

I'm not really sure what you're point is here, but at no time were the Irish Association of Volunteer Training Corps in cahoots with any political organisation, Nationalist or Unionist. Graham.

Graham,

I'm not making a point. Unionist, or unionist, does not refer to a political party in this context. At the time, as I'm sure you know, there were those in favour of home rule and those in favour of maintaining the union, whether members of a political party or not. My point, if there was one, is that these men were supporters of the establishment.

Thank you very much for the excellent information. From Irish Times reports in 1916 I can say that, as well as the units mentioned in your list, there was also a Rathmines corps, attached to B Company and a Royal College of Science platoon of B Company (referred to in the report as "the Veterans proper").

There was a recent suggestion, referring to a photograph on sale at an auction in Dublin, that the the Veterans' Corps were parading with rifles (real or imitation) in 1913. Do you think this is a mistake?

Annie,

Thanks very much for your useful link, which I will follow up.

Michael

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works or anything .... but this is a quote from Steve's website !!

Officers Killed - Ireland 1916

1st (Dublin) Battalion, Associated Volunteer Training Corps

Sub-Commandant F.H. Browning

Frank Browning was President of the Irish Rugby Football Union but had also been instrumental in the formation of the the Irish Rugby Volunteer Training Corps when the war began. They drilled at Lansdowne Road and were known as the 'Gorgeous Wrecks' on account of the red 'GR' armlets they wore. Many members transferred into the 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Browning died on the first day of the Easter Rising as he and a contingent of the IRVTC returned to Dublin after a day's manoeuvres outside the city. They were marching down Northumberland Road when they were sniped at from No. 25. 13 men were wounded, 4 of them fatally. Those who died were Frank Browning, Thomas Harbourne, James Nolan and John Gibbs. A fifth man, George Hosford, died later in the week. At a quick look, I can't see any of these men on the CWGC database.

All this comes from an article in the Sunday Tribune about 10 years ago.

This man, Frank Browning, was not, and never had been, in the Army. He was 2 i/c, under a Major, of a civilian volunteer unit called the 1st Dublin Battalion of the Irish Association of Volunteer Training Corps. The volunteers were men below or above military age, or unfit for service. They carried out military manoeuvres in training, and carried rifles. There is some doubt about whether they all wore uniforms, or civilian clothes with arm-bands. They did have a cap-badge, with the letters “G.R.” on it. Browning was killed, with several of his men, in the Easter Rising in Dublin, 1916.

Annie

Thanks, Annie,

That comes from a thread (Cap badge) which I started recently, with a photo of Frank Browning, and I wrote the last part of the quotation above. I was trying to see if anyone could identify the cap-badge. Browning was wearing army uniform with a Sam Browne belt. The badge is indistinct, but I hoped that some of the experts could identify it.

Michael

post-7376-1177021393.jpg

Michael,

My apologies as I was under the impression that you thought the V.T.C. to be in one of the political camps, whereas they were only civilians doing their bit. As you will see from the Regulations posted no oath was taken by members of the V.T.C. until 1916.

The Veterans Corps parading in Dublin in 1913 could possibly be right, as there was another organisation called the "Veterans Reserve", which later went onto become the National Reserve, which during the Great War become Supernumary Companies of Territorial Battalions on mainland Britain. Considering Ireland didn't have the Territorial Force, then it's possible that the Veterans Corps may be based upon that former organisation.

Seeing the photo would have been a much better option as if they were to be seen wearing the VTC grey/green uniforms then it would almost certainly be 1915, as this was the special colour of uniform adopted by the V.T.C. who were banned from wearing khaki. I've attached a coloured print from an article I did many years ago on the V.T.C., which gives you an idea on the colour and style of the uniform.

Sadly there isn't much information relating to Irish VTC badges and I would imagine that in later years those who were in it got rid of them at the best possible oppotunity. I've only ever owned one Irish VTC lapel badge and I managed to swap it for a 1st V.B.,Northumberland Fusiliers officers belt buckle, which shows how much it was worth.

Graham.

Neil

A couple of questions for you

I've only given the volunteers a passing interest but do I recall seeing in the East Kent Gazette that men who succeeded at the tribunals were forced to join them (or was it the Special constabulary?)?

Secondly, were they accommodated in the TF drill halls?

Mick

Mick,

Yes as far as I can tell they were given the use of the Territorial Force Drill Halls. In Ashford they regularly paraded alongside members of the 2/5th and 3/5th Buffs (second and third line T.F). I am sure the all volunteer companies did the same throughout Kent. I think it is fair to describe the volunteers as the Great War's Home Guard. Their roots in 1914 were the Volunteer Training Corps (VTC) these were civilian para-military units raised in towns and villages throughout the county. By early 1915 the VTC's in Kent had come together to form one organisation - the Kent Volunteer Fencibles. This new force didn't last very long because the authorities recognised that these men could be put to good use guarding the Medway defences and such like. The Kent Volunteer Fencibles was split in two - North Kent companies were formed into volunteer battalions of the West Kent's and South Kent Volunteer Fencibles were formed into volunteer battalions of our beloved Buffs.

The best way to describe the Volunteers is to compare them to the Second World War Home Guard (Local Defence Volunteers).

The following is my own work for kentfallen.com (soon to come online). Feel free to use it Mick (the information was taken from the Volunteer List 1918) -

On 6 August 1914 a letter appeared in the Times Newspaper signed by Mr Percy A Harris advocating the forming of a Kent Volunteer Training Corps (V.T.C). At the end of the month the War Office veteod the raising of volunteer military units, but gave sanction to organise "Civilian" Volunteer Training Corps. These "training" units quickly sprang up all over the country and began to recruit for the overseas armies. The Kent Volunteer Training Corps was created and a County Commandant appointed (Lord Harris). By the end of 1915 the Volunteer Act 1915 was passed in parliament which awarded military status and rank to those who volunteered for service in the VTC's. Most volunteers were too old to serve overseas, others were from reserved occupations whose indespensible bussiness or employment absolutely prevented them from joining the Territorial Force. Lord Harris the County Commandant from Throwley near Faversham took charge of the volunteers and called it the "Kent Volunteer Fencibles". Their capbadge was based upon the Invicta Prancing Horse with the letters K.V.F on the top. In August 1916 the War Office, taking the matter more decidedly in hand decided to absorb the Volunteer units into the formal County Infantry Regiment structure. Four "volunteer" Infantry battalions were formed from the Kent Volunteer Fencibles into volunteer Buffs infantry battalions -

Incidently Mick, if ever you're near Throwley Faversham you can go and have a look at Lord Harris grave and memorial. Lord Harris was deeply involved with both The Buffs and the Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles. The Harris family have a plaque in the church itself that commemorates the family war dead - quite a few. Next to the Harris family plot in the churchyard are a few RFC headstones from pilots who died in accidents serving at Thowley airfield during the Geat War. Whilst your in Throwley why not have a look at the old airfield? I can give you directions and provide some photos of remains etc... I've spent hours walking the area... Better still we could perhaps meet up?

THE ROYAL WEST KENT VOLUNTEERS

1st (Volunteer) Battalion, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Drill Hall, Tonbridge, Kent

Hon Commandant - Lieutenant Colonel The Earl of Amherst (Captain, Retired pay)

Commanding Officer - Major J Rowlandson (Brevet Colonel Retired Pay)

Captain J.W Little (Second in Command)

Captain R.A Webb (Medical Officer) (Royal Army Medical Corps (V)

Captain D Laing

Captain S.G Hallum

Captain A.R Soames (Adjutant)

Hon Colonel R.K Bevington

Captain C Smith

Chaplain Reverand R.A Bull M.A

Lieutenant T.W Webb (Quartermaster January 1917)

Lieutenant H Reece (Quartermaster April 1917)

Lieutenants

Morgan F.B

Gabriel B

Russell H

Winterton E.K.J

Kennington C

Beecheno G.H (Machine Gun Officer)

Cochrane A.H.D

Second Lieutenants

Handcock E.W

Chamberlain J

Darling A.M

Mason H.P

Sidebottom W.H

Busk J.L

Budden M

Stone N.R

Regard M.C.J

Smith A.W

Locket G.C

2nd (Volunteer) Battalion, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Old Palace, Maidstone, Kent

Hon Commandant - Lieutenant Colonel H.D.A Breton (Colonel Retired Pay)

Commanding Officer - Lieutenant Colonel A.C Borton (From Cheveney, Yalding and father Lt Col of A.D Borton VC)

Second in Command - Captain C.B Mercer

Captain W.C Price (Adjutant) (1st Garrison Btn, Middlesex Regiment)

Lieutenant E Waters (Assistant Adjutant)

Lieutenant E.H Epps (Quartermaster)

Lieutenant M Packer (Asst Q.M)

Captain E.J Wood (Medical Officer) (Royal Army Medical Corps (V)

Lieutenant E Henriques (Asst Medical Officer) (RAMC(V)

Captains

Hepworth H.J

Nash J.W

Boucher F.C

Rhodes F.W

Bryan F.J

Lewis A.T

Macartney J.H

Smith A.W

Lieutenants

Day W.H

Eager G

Amies E.H

Fearnley P

Moffett R

Cobb R

Stigant H.E

Hubble T.W

Waters E (Assistant Adjutant)

Milnes C

Youngman J.H

Soffe R.G

Clarke J.G

Second Lieutenants

Nash J.C

Allenby R.B

Nye T.W

Ritchie F

Crawford W

Arnauld F.W.T

Phillips W

Brice W (St J)

Dunstall H.H

Finnis J.T

Hubble E (Late Lieutenant R.West Kent's)

Smith J.G.L

3rd (Volunteer) Battalion, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Drill Hall, Parish Lane, Penge, Kent (now London)

Hon Commandant - Lieutenant Colonel C Child

Commanding Officer - Major P Dawson

Second in Command - Captain A.L Carpenter

Captain F.E Florance (Adjutant)

Lieutenant R Tylor (Quartermaster)

Lieutenant R.A Doble (Quartermaster 1918)

Captain R Wilkinson (Medical Officer) (RAMC (V)

Lieutenant H.W Thomas (Medical Officer)

Chaplain - Reverand G.F Cartwright

Captains

Glanvill C.R

Young F.W.R

Bacon A.R

Le May H.H

Michael C.E

Rowe J.C

Hills C.D

Baker M

Lieutenants

Wilson W.J

Palmer W.J

Sentance R.H (Machine Gun Officer)

Dale E.T (Adjutant)

Mackenzie H.D

Roberts E.J

Eyre H

Burrows E.P

Galloway E.A

Second Lieutenants

Ovenden H

Elgood C.A

Purvis J

Pulman H.P

Pettigrew W.C

Sheppard C.V

Stone W.B

Coulson H

Livermore E.G

Perkins H

Showers F.T

4th (Volunteer) Battalion, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

"Trevethan", Bexley Road, Erith, Kent (now London)

Hon Commandant - Lieutenant Colonel Sir D.D.T O'Callaghan KCVO (Major General Retired Pay)

Commanding Officer - Major C.H Gray

Second in Command - Captain C.P Taylor

Lieutenant F.H Frost (Adjutant) (17th London Regiment)

Lieutenant Paler C.J (Quartermaster)

Captain Brown H (Medical Officer) (Royal Army Medical Corps (V)

Captains

Cannon T.N

Dodd E.T

Wright F.W

Dines H.R

Astell H.W

Lieutenants

Maybey H.D

Jowett H.A.D

Baily H.D

Cope S.F

Paton C.J (Assistant Adjutant)

Glanfield C.F

Gibson A

Second Lieutenants

Bex A

Hobbs E.J

Sorrell C

Passmore F.W

Key G.C

Stace W.H.S

Mitchell H.J

Bowers J.L

Muller H (Late Captain West Riding Regiment)

Furlong F.O

Holland W

Howard H.C

Stewart A Mel

THE BUFFS VOLUNTEERS

1st Volunteer Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

70 Marine Parade, Hythe, Kent

Hon Commandant - Lieutenant Colonel Rt Hon Earl Beauchamp KCMG

Commanding Officer - Brigadier General W Tylden

Second in Command - Captain G.C Elliott

Captain F.B Whatley (Adjutant)

Captain C Twopeny (Assistant Adjutant)

Captain J.T Blount (Quartermaster)

Captain H.R.J Willis

Captain R.M Bourne

Captain I.P Hodgson

Captain F.B Hulke

Captain A.M Evanson

Captain C Dixon

Lieutenant W.R Richardson

Lieutenant A.R Bowles

Lieutenant E.D Fitzgerald

Lieutenant W.P Matthews

Lieutenant C.C Flashman

Lieutenant H Stainer

Lieutenant A.E.R Kennedy

Lieutenant W.R Mowll

Lieutenant A.K Mowll

Lieutenant L.B Watson

Lieutenant J Richardson (Medical Officer RAMC(V)

Second Lieutenant S.B Hulke

Second Lieutenant Lord W.H Northbourne (Hon Colonel 3rd Home Counties Brigade RFA)

Second Lieutenant E Lawrence

Second Lieutenant R.W.A Pryer

Second Lieutenant W.T Barron

Second Lieutenant G Wilson

Second Lieutenant C.G Molyneux

Second Lieutenant J.H Lewis

Second Lieutenant A.G Cook

Second Lieutenant E.M Birch

Second Lieutenant W.R Wood

2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Drill Hall, St Peters Lane, Canterbury, Kent

Commanding Officer 1916 - Major J.C Tattershall

Captain C.H Aitkin (Second in Command)

Captain F.W Wacher

Captain C Terry

Captain H Kitto

Captain C.W.G.H Wheler (Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles) (Adjutant)

Captain W.H Hamilton (Quartermaster)

Captain H.O Preston (Medical Officer) (RAMC(V)

Lieutenant J Sanderson

Lieutenant F.M Carson

Lieutenant W Muggeridge

Lieutenant D Grant

Lieutenant J.E Riordan

Lieutenant P.A Ellis

Lieutenant A.H.W Ingram

Second Lieutenant E.C Harris

Second Lieutenant W.L Pickford

Second Lieutenant L Greensted

Second Lieutenant C Wacher

Second Lieutenant S.A Robertson

Second Lieutenant E.H Wix

Second Lieutenant C.G Neame

Second Lieutenant E Hardy

3rd (Volunteer) Battalion,The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

The Banks, Broadstairs, Kent

Hon Colonel - Lt Col Vicount Northcliffe of St Peter's

Commanding Officer 1916 - Major General C.F Browne CB, DSO

Commanding Officer 1917 - Major H.T Guillick

Captain A.W Matthews (Second in Command)

Captain C.S Reed

Captain T Horne

Captain B.M Cushing

Captain E.K Rowe

Captain J.G Smith (Adjutant)

Captain S Shea (Quartermaster)

Captain A F Street M.D (Medical Officer) (RAMC(V)

Lieutenant A.H Cox

Lieutenant G.T Rogers

Lieutenant W.F.G Saull

Lieutenant G.M Norton

Lieutenant J.J Cornelious (Assistant Adjutant)

Lieutenant P.L Webster

Lieutenant J.H Robinson

Lieutenant J.A Forde

Second Lieutenant A.L.S Champion

Second Lieutenant H.E.E Jeston

Second Lieutenant W Coleman

Second Lieutenant G.E Venner

Second Lieutenant C.M Poole

Second Lieutenant C.R Beaumont

Second Lieutenant W.J Gardner

Second Lieutenant A.J Thyne

Second Lieutenant A.J.W Smith

Reverand C Moor (Chaplain)

4th Volunteer Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Drill Hall, Ashford, Kent

Hon Colonel - Lieutenant Colonel Vicount Goschen (From Hawkhurst)

Commanding Officer 1916 - Major H.E.Twisleton Wykeham- Fiennes

Commanding Officer 1917 - Major W.R Fitzhugh

Captain L.H Browning (Second in Command)

Captain J Lintott (Adjutant) (Royal Sussex Regiment)

Lieutenant W.E Sawbridge Earl-Drax (Assistant Adjutant)

Lieutenant F Strouts

Lieutenant F.R.B Hinde (Medical Officer) (RAMC(V)

Reverand G.L Thorp (Chaplain) (Late Captain Glos V.Art)

Captain A.J Burrows

Captain A Morely

Lieutenant G.W Perkins

Lieutenant H.E Ward

Lieutenant W.L.C Turner

Lieutenant H.S Norton

Lieutenant S.C Rogerson

Lieutenant A.J Houghton

Lieutenant E Cameron

Lieutenant F.G.J Ford

Lieutenant F.D Morford

Lieutenant E Finn

Lieutenant T.B Cheeseman

Lieutenant E.C.C Holder

Second Lieutenant E.H Humphries

Second Lieutenant J.M.A Poncia

Second Lieutenant F.C Giddy

Second Lieutenant C.W Noakes

Second Lieutenant R.H Rumens

Hi Michael !

Sorry .... I knew I'd seen your name somewhere ???

I looked for that cap badge for many hours ! ( I was looking for a brass harp badge ! ;) )

I was also reading your thread "War memorial in Lansdowne Road, Anyone know what's happening to it?"

just now ... fascinating ... !!

Annie

• 2 weeks later...
Seeing the photo would have been a much better option as if they were to be seen wearing the VTC grey/green uniforms then it would almost certainly be 1915, as this was the special colour of uniform adopted by the V.T.C. who were banned from wearing khaki. I've attached a coloured print from an article I did many years ago on the V.T.C., which gives you an idea on the colour and style of the uniform.

Sadly there isn't much information relating to Irish VTC badges and I would imagine that in later years those who were in it got rid of them at the best possible oppotunity. I've only ever owned one Irish VTC lapel badge and I managed to swap it for a 1st V.B.,Northumberland Fusiliers officers belt buckle, which shows how much it was worth.

Graham.

The photo I mentioned showed men in civilian clothes, and was too faded even to see if they were wearing arm-bands. Your picture is very interesting, Graham, as the badges on the cap and collar look like the one on my other thread which has a grainy photo (see link in my reply to Annie of April 19th). Can you say what the design was?

Michael

post-7376-1178138980.jpgpost-7376-1178139027.jpg

Michael,

Sorry I'm unable to tell what the design of the cap and collar badges are, but it looks like a matching set. I've enclosed a photo of Newcastle V.T.C.'s Commandant, the Lord Mayor of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Alderman John Fitzgerald who was himself an Irishman. Plus a comic post card showing a VTC member in civilian attire with the red 'GR' arm band which was worn on all parades regardless of whether or not a uniform was possessed.

Graham.

• 12 years later...

This particular topic is perhaps ancient history to those who'd posted previously on the subject, but the following picture might be of interest to others?

Today when, ahem, working from home, I had occasion to visit the Phoenix Park. There's an adjacent war cemetry on Blackhorse Avenue.

Hosford's gravestone isn't the regular CWGC design, so it drew me to it.

Hosford_Glasnevin-Vols.JPG.96f0842322b78a0db88fa10ab13878cd.JPG

It's not the only atypical headstone design, but this grave was included in the military plot, buried alongside regular soliders. 

Edited by Airshipped
Spelling error

Since taking part in this discussion in 2005-2007, I have researched the topic and written papers concerning the Irish Volunteer Training Corps and the Battle of Mount Street Bridge in the Dublin Historical Record (the journal of the Old Dublin Society) 69 (2), 146-156, 2016, and the Irish Sword (the journal of the Military History Society of Ireland), XXXI (123), 75-86, 2017.

The V.T.C. members were not counted as members of the British armed forces. However, after the Easter Rising representations were made on behalf of the families of those members who had died by Sir John Maxwell, Commander of the Forces in Ireland. After initial reluctance, the War Office awarded pensions to the widows of those who had died, Frank Browning’s being at the level of an Army Lieutenant. Those who were injured were paid compensation.

Joseph Hosford was the last of the five who died to be killed. He had made it to the safety of the Barracks, and was taking part in the defence. He was shot through a window by a sniper on the Thursday of Easter week. The correct list of the V.T.C. members who were killed is: Frank Browning, Reginald Clery, John Gibbs, Thomas Harborne and Joseph Hosford.

I don’t think the question of the cap-badge was clarified. Here is a photo of that worn by Browning, who was (as previously mentioned) President of the Irish Rugby Football Union at the time.

Michael

Badge new_3.jpg

The following appear on Grave registrations for soldiers buried in Dublin confirming that IAVTC burials were not considered war graves.

HarbourneVTCNotAWargrave.jpg

HosfordVTCNotAWargrave.jpg

Edited by doyle3

It's interesting that this record says that Joseph Hosford died on "24.4.16". That was Easter Monday, the first day of the rebellion. According to the records I have seen, Hosford was killed on the Thursday, 27th of April, and his grave marker says 26th!.

Edited by Michael Pegum

always seems to be a bit of wiggle room in Irish records at times, possibly more so in the confused state of a rebellion/rising?

Hosford's death registration and probate give 26th April. The death registration has a correction re his age from 56 to 51 but mentions the body being buried in Rathmines Rectory.

HosfordDeathRegistration.jpg

HosfordProbate.jpg

My source for saying that it was on Thursday, the 27th, that Joseph Hosford was killed was an account by Henry Hanna (TCD 10066/192). He had been with the first group of the V.T.C. to approach Beggar's Bush Barracks, but he went home after they were fired on! His knowledge of what happened inside the Barracks was based on what others had told him, and his description of the shooting of Joseph Hosford is, in fact, imprecise as to the date, though the context implied the Thursday. He said that:

"One man, Hosford, was shot by a stray bullet from a sniper. He was standing up in the Barrack Room, putting on his coat to go on guard when he was struck in the body by an explosive bullet and he died in a few minutes".

The documents quoted above are more reliable, and it must have been on Wednesday, 26th April that Joseph Hosford died.

the rebellion handbook also has him killed on the Wednesday. 

https://archive.org/details/sinnfeinrebellio00dubl/page/264/mode/2up/search/Hosford

I've not read the Hanna document (or his book re the Pals at Suvla) yet. Strange that he didn't stay with the men in the barracks.

The rebellion handbook on page 22 mentions Robert Anderson as being the only outside casualty of the Wednesday. Next paragraph starts "Later in the week" with reference to Hosford. Not sure if this is suggesting the Thursday or is referencing the text/timing before Anderson's wounding.

The page 22 paragraph is interesting as it suggest the GRs had a "detention post" near to No 25 on the day the Sherwoods arrived.

SFRH_Hosford.jpg

Edited by doyle3

6 hours ago, doyle3 said:

I've not read the Hanna document (or his book re the Pals at Suvla) yet. Strange that he didn't stay with the men in the barracks.

He didn't go into the Barracks. When the first group to approach the gates was fired on, some of the others went to the back wall and climbed over, but Hanna just went home. I doubt if he was the only one.

6 hours ago, doyle3 said:

SFRH_Hosford.jpg

The entry at #40, concerning the administration of his will, said that he was an accountant. The cutting above says that he was in charge of the colour department at Brooks, Thomas & Co.(builders' providers, I think). He could have been both, of course. He left the equivalent of about £73,000, according to the British National Archives calculator.

On 30/03/2020 at 20:57, Michael Pegum said:

He didn't go into the Barracks. When the first group to approach the gates was fired on, some of the others went to the back wall and climbed over, but Hanna just went home. I doubt if he was the only one.

The entry at #40, concerning the administration of his will, said that he was an accountant. The cutting above says that he was in charge of the colour department at Brooks, Thomas & Co.(builders' providers, I think). He could have been both, of course. He left the equivalent of about £73,000, according to the British National Archives calculator.

I don't have to hand my copy of Richardson's 'According to their Lights' but, if I recall correctly, he drew on a few additional memoirs beyond the 'Sinn Féin Rebellion Handbook' etc. I believe he traced the background of the casualties in greater detail, but it could equally be the case that when it came to Hosford he was quoting from your articles! 

• 3 years later...

Joseph Hosford was my great-great-uncle, younger brother of my greatgrandmother Susannah Hosford, who married Thomas Fisher of Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow. The Fishers were C. of I. and had been settled in Merginstown House and Dunlavin since the 1690s. The Hosfords were Presbyterians from Bandon, Co. Cork, and according to tradition were Cromwellians, although I have not been able to confirm that. Both families were staunchly Unionist. Both Edward Fisher of Merginstown House and his younger brother Richard Fisher of Dunlavin (my direct ancestor) were compensated as 'suffering loyalists' after the 1798 rebellion. Joseph Hosford was born on December 28th 1864 and baptised on January 1st 1865 at the Scot's Church (Presbyterian), Bandon, the son of Samuel Hosford and his wife Ellen (McCarthy). The Irish Volunteer Training Corps was the equivalent of the Home Guard in WWII, recruiting volunteers who were either over or under military age or otherwise unfit for the Regular Army.

Edited by Miguel de Avendano
Correct date