Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert McSeveney R Innis Fusiliers MCG

Alan Platt

Hi,

I have recently discovered that my relatives served during WW1 and thankfully all survived the war.  Here is what I have been able to discover:

Pte Robert McSeveney served in the Royal Innis FusilIers and then the Machine Gun Corps.  I believe he enlisted underage.

Grateful if anyone could fill in the gaps or confirm the above.

Regards

Alan

Your information appears to be correct - MIC FREE off Ancestry - He first went to France on 18 Nov 1915 with the 10th Bn. R Innis Fus.

Transferred to army reserves 5 March 1919:

McSeveney.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thank you Ivor.  I am guessing he must have lied about his DOB or the information i have is incorrect as it says he was born in 1902 which means he was only 13 on enlistment.

According to what i think is the correct record he was born on 11 Jul 02 in Gartsherrie, Lanarkshire and died on 30 Jan 49 as is buried in Macosquin Church of Ireland Church near Coleraine in Northern Ireland.  There are quite a few McSeveney from Scotland and here in Northern Ireland.

Regards

Alan

The only man of this name born in Ireland from 1890 to 1905 is this. He also is in 1911 census for Ireland, still at Parkmore, Antrim. It is just off the Antrim Coast road, half way from Larne to Ballycastle

mcs.jpg.601717b15fb5ec19f5db1548cadf70ab.jpg

4 minutes ago, Alan Platt said:

According to what i think is the correct record he was born on 11 Jul 02 in Gartsherrie, Lanarkshire

Why do you think that. ?

Have you the Birth Cert,

and do you know for sure who his parents were?

I don't believe this record is him.  He did marry Catherine/Kathleen McAllister in Coleraine on 7 Oct 26.  His marriage cert says he was a widow and that his father was Alan McSeveney who was a labourer.

He was my Great Grandfather and I am only going on the scant info I have. The info from his marriage certificate which I have is all I have to go on I am afraid. I was never able to find a birth certificate to confirm. Regards Alan

Thanks, you are sure that this is him ?

mcs-mar.jpg.4b4b1c415d8891f1c48cf3029c601c3c.jpg

Back to his birth, I see you have an Ancestry Tree, but another tree shows

• The Robert born 11 Jul 1902 had parents and wife
  • Father    William McSeveney (1859-1930)
    Mother    Agnes McGrady (1867-1933)
    Spouse    Alice Mary Thomson (1901-1988)
  •  
  • The only Robert shown on Scotlands People is born 1905. The above robert is not given

Robert born 11 Jul 1902

There is a certain knack to getting these things, but this is that man, and he is not your man and I think you can forget him

mcs-1902.jpg.031f68b3f0419a9f4e3d3023a0106565.jpg

So do you know when he died, or what he did after the 1926 marriage

The Robert McSeveney who died in Coleraine on 28 Jan 1949 was 51 - born c.1897 - source GRONI:

McSeveney.png

48 minutes ago, corisande said:

The only man of this name born in Ireland from 1890 to 1905 is this. He also is in 1911 census for Ireland, still at Parkmore, Antrim. It is just off the Antrim Coast road, half way from Larne to Ballycastle

The man born in Co. Antrim in 1889 on the 1911 census aged 21: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Red_Bay/Parkmore_or_Agaulane/114957/

This must be his wife's death

mcs-wife.jpg.41976db0c23f7b4c1f157d47fcd32649.jpg

And his first marriage

mcs-ma2.jpg.2b7050ea099a9d35295a5b0f17df364d.jpg

Which seems to lead me to this couple Allan & Lizzie (nee Neilly) . Allan is a Carpenter in first marriage in 1921. Though not necessarily this child # but from death age it could be

mcs-1899.jpg.84f17b332d8282caed3c83eeb9ae9a85.jpg

This is the happiest I am with as his birth (so far :))

It was filed and indexed as "Seveny"

mcs-1895.jpg.b910069d3873fbaca5e11165b31f89b3.jpg

Which ticks all the boxes (except for the age at death)

Just now, Ivor Anderson said:

Ballymena 1901

I cannot find him in 1911

mcs-cen-1901.jpg

4 minutes ago, corisande said:

I cannot find him in 1911

I can now, they are at Westbrook Terrace ,Coleraine,

mcs-cen-1911.jpg.6328b89a413e74875bac82fa546f4aff.jpg

It certainly hangs together

• Born 1895 to Allan, a Carpenter
  • 1901 census his father Allan, a carpenter
  • 1911 census the family move to Westbrook Terrace , Coleraine. Father Allan, a carpenter. Robert is a Painter
  • married 1921 in Coleraine . He was a painter with father Allan, a carpenter
  • married 1926 . Father Allan, at  Westbrook Terrace ,Coleraine,

3 minutes ago, corisande said:

It certainly hangs together

• Born 1895 to Allan, a Carpenter
  • 1901 census his father Allan, a carpenter
  • 1911 census the family move to Westbrook Terrace , Coleraine. Father Allan, a carpenter. Robert is a Painter
  • married 1921 in Coleraine . He was a painter with father Allan, a carpenter
  • married 1926 . Father Allan, at  Westbrook Terrace ,Coleraine,

Looks very likely. Poss died in Coleraine on 28 Jan 1949 with age incorrectly given as 51?   Aged 20 when he entered France in Nov 1915.

Thank you so much for your time and all this information which I will process. The entry in relation to my Great Grandmother is brilliant as I born in 66 and have memories of going to her house.  

As you highlight the Scottish line on my Ancestry tree appears to be completely wrong and your information is correct.  I am extremely grateful for this as trying to research this side of my family had hit a brick wall.  Obviously I was following the wrong trail (Scotland instead of Ballymena)  Yep it would appear age incorrectly given as 51 and entering France in Nov 15 at the age of 20 much better (if there is such a thing) going to war.

I had an issue trying to find a grave for my granny who died in 1950 and got a death cert but despite extensive research with council and church records never discovered it.  

Once again thank you for the information and hopefully some of his military records will turn up.