Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Spoil Bank.

Martin Hornby

At the present time I am researching a Trench Raid that took place at the Spoil Bank on the night 8th-9th February 1917. The raid was just to the right of Spoil Bank on the south side of the Ypres-Comines Canal. The raid was conducted by troops from the 11th Bn, Royal West Kents. 2 raids were conducted on this night one first one being successful, the second failed to achieve its objectives. I would be greatful for any information forum members may have on these raids.

Martin Hornby :)

Martin, You wouldn't happen to know the identity of the German unit/units opposite the raiding parties by any chance? There is usually quite a bit of good information from the various regimental histories that might provide you some details of the raid.

Ralph

Hello,

The German units opposing belonged to the 208. Infanterie-Division (Spoilbank is north of the canal right?). The units involved could be Infanterie-Regiment 185 (in this regimental history no info about this raid can be found, although it is a unit from Baden so more could perhaps be found in Karlsruhe) or Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 65 (I don't have this history though).

Greetings from Flanders,

Jan

Thanks for the help chaps.

The trench raid took place on the night of 8/9th February 1917.

The location was to the right of the Spoil Bank, on the south side of the canal. The German Regiment was the 65th Reserve Infantry Regiment, of the 208th Bavarian Division.

Martin

Hello,

The 65th RIR belonged as said to the 208th Infantry Division (which was not a Bavarian unit). The regiment itself was from the Rhineland.

I could inform if I can get some copies from this regimental history if you're interested.

Greetings,

Jan

Martin, I checked my book list and it appears I have at least a partial copy of the 65th RIR in my collection. I will take a look for it tonight to see if I have any details on the raid and post my reply later this evening.

Regards,

Ralph

Martin, I located the book and found the section regarding the raids. Unfortunately it was short and not very informative but here it is anyway:

"In the night toward 9 February the English succeeded in digging out the garrison of a dugout under the protection of a fire bell. A similar attempt a few hours later at the left wing became thwarted by the alert trench garrison and timely placed barrage fire...."

This was taken from P. 55 of the book Das Reserve Infanterie Regiment 65 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918 von Landgerichtsdirektor Karl Liedgens, Hauptmann d.R. a.D.

Köln, 1938

There is a good map of the German position including names, machine gun posts and fire zones, strong points, etc. If you would like a copy I could scan it tomorrow and e-mail it to you, just let me know.

Regards,

Ralph

Ralph, I would very much appreciate a copy of the map. My E Mail address is listed in the Forum.

Thanks Martin