Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn. Glosters

Chunkeroo

thankyou chuckeroo for the kind offer!

one of my local men was killed with the 8th on 7/6/17

any information about this date in the diary?

by the way his name was pte j.w. shipley

thanks in advance

enoch

Hi Chuckeroo, :)

Thanks for the offer, I'm interested in a man who was K.I.A. on the 23-7-16. So any reference to that date would be great.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

Have typed out the diary entries from 19th to 23rd for you. No names of other ranks mentioned unfortunately, but at least you can pinpoint the action your man was involved in.

19/7/1916

MILLECOURT

10pm

Left Millecourt and moved into bivouac S. of Fricourt. Remained under cover on the 20th

20/7/1916

FRICOURT

9pm

Moved into the Old German Line close to BAZENTIN_LE_PETIT.

21/7/1916

BAZENTIN_LE_PETIT

10pm

Two companies (A + C) moved into BAZENTIN_LE_PETIT

22/7/1916

9.30pm

Relieved WORC. R (10th) in front line and prepared to attack the German Switch Line cutting through the north of HIGH WOOD and running S of MARTINPUICH with 10th R. War. And 7th S. Lancs. (1am) Attack failed our casualties being 1 officer killed, 5 wounded, 8 missing including the C.O. Lt Col de WIART gun shot wound in the neck. 186 casualties among other ranks.

23/7/1916

4am

Taken back to support line and remained there all day. Relieved at 7.30pm

Regards

Clare

Enoch

No mention of Pte Shipley by name but 21 Other Ranks were killed in action between 7/6/2927 and 10/6/1917. Extracts below.

Between 1/6/1917 and 5/6/1917 the 8th Battalion were in billets at ASCOT CAMP.

6/6/1917

ASCOT CAMP

Battalion moved off at 11.15am to staging area near LA CLYTTE and was equipped for action.

6-7/6/1917 Night

LA CLYTTE

Battalion moved off to take up position of assembly for attack. The IX Corps to which the 19th Division belonged took part in an offensive which had for its objective the capture of the MESSINES-WYTSCHAETE Ridge.

7/6/1917

WYTSCHAETE BEEK

Attack launched at 3.10am by 19th Division.

8.10am

Battalion attacked BLACK LINE in front of ONRAET WOOD & took its objective. Patrol pushed out & line in front of OOSTTAVERNE WOOD also held.

3.10pm

Further attack was launched against village of OOSTTAVERNE and ODONTO Trench. Battalion took its objective and consolidated position. The result of the day’s operations was hugely successful. During the operations Captain H B Hastings was killed, Lieut. W E Hawkins was mortally wounded. Captain J H Wright MC & 2/Lt R F J Foskett were wounded.

OOSTTAVERNE

Battalion held position of ODONTO Trench and consolidated objective. Patrols were sent out in the morning to deal with hostile snipers and approx. thirty German prisoners were captured. In the evening about 7.30pm S.O.S. signals were sent up on both flanks of the battalion but any attempted hostile counter attack was stopped dead by our artillery barrage. Battalion was relieved at night by the 7th Kings Own and the battalion took up a position in reserve on BLUE LINE which ran in front of GRAND BOIS.

10/6/1917

GRAND BOIS

Battalion remained in reserve. On night of 10-11/6/1916 battalion returned to billets at DE ZON Camp.

11/6/1917

DE ZON CAMP

Battalion remained in billets at DE ZON Camp. Result of operations 7-10/6/1917. Two hundred prisoners, eleven field guns and 20 machine guns were captured by the battalion. Casualties. 20 Officers killed, 2 Officers wounded. O.R. killed 21, wounded 83, missing 1.

Regards

Clare

Hi Clare, :)

Thank you very much for the information, it was of great interest.

Cheers

Tim.

thankyou clare for the information

enoch

Hi Chuckeroo,

have you anything for the battalion on or about the 13th April 1918 in the Battle of the Lys please.

Thankyou and best regards

John

• 4 months later...

Hi there

Can you let me know how many of the Bn were committed to the assualt at La Boiselle on 4th Jul 1916?

With thanx

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anything on 24491 Pte Samuel Woodward, KIA 30/7/1916? Or can you tell me what was going on at that time?

Likewise for 24398 Pte Stewart Talboys, KIA 30/5/1918?

They are on the war memorial in North Nibley, Glos, where I live .From my research so far they were both with the 8th Btn, Glos. Reg.

Thanks

John

Hi Chunkeroo,

Can you please look up Lt Arthur Charles Sotheron Estcourt for me.

I believe he was in the 8th Glos,but also attatched to the 57th TMB with who he was awarded the M.C. for La Boselle in July 1916.

Many thanks for your help.

Stu

• 1 month later...

Just bringing this back up to the top Chunkeroo.

Regards

John

Is there anything on 24491 Pte Samuel Woodward, KIA 30/7/1916? Or can you tell me what was going on at that time?

Likewise for 24398 Pte Stewart Talboys, KIA 30/5/1918?

They are  on the war memorial in North Nibley, Glos, where I live .From my research so far they were both with the 8th Btn, Glos. Reg.

Thanks

John

• 1 month later...

Chunkeroo

If you have anything from around Aug 7 1918 I'd like to see it. My distant relation Lt WV Smith (1838) was killed that day according to CWGC, although medal card records Aug 8 1917 as date of death. For background, Smith was 3Bn, att 8Bn, and had joined R Glos Hus as a private (I suspect before the war, from his 1838 number)

many thanks in advance

Phil