Guest keep fit.

:)

Hello susan here again.

James brown sent me an e.mail in response to a question i asked about my

ancestor who died in russia 1919.

I do not know how to get back to him.

so i am writing this new message.

I am interested in the war CD you have.

As my ancestor was one of them who died on the 10th of august.

Does the CD have a list of names.

Hope James sees this new message.

Susan.

Susan,

If yr refering to the Soldiers Died CD, there are several fatalities in the Russian theatre for 10 Aug 1919. If you post yr ancestors name/details on this thread someone will look them up for you.

Susan,

I just saw yr earlier post stating yr relative was 46/Royal Fusiliers.

Three men from this Bttn died on 10 Aug 1919 - all killed in action in Russia:

They were:

1) 129843 Private Peter Welsh Richardson

born and resident Blairgowrie (or Plaigowrie), enlisted Perth (place of enlistment when this general is not always exact as often someone may have enlisted at a recruiting rally but place given on Soldiers Died is the local Regimental depot).

He was formerly S/28151 Seaforth Highlanders.

2) 129780 Sergeant Harry Jackson

born and resident Aston, enlsited Tower of London!

He was formerly 31012 Grenadier Guards - if this is yr relative the Guards archives may have a copy of his Guards service file as they kept their own copies unlike other Regiments.

3)131804 William Brown

born and resident Andover, enlisted Winchester

He was formerly 21022 RMLI - again all RMLI attestation papers survived and are available at the PRO/NA at Kew.

As a matter of interest there are another 19 men from the 45 Bttn that died in Russia on 10 Aug 1919.

I hope this info helps.

Guest keep fit.
Susan,

I just saw yr earlier post stating yr relative was 46/Royal Fusiliers.

Three men from this Bttn died on 10 Aug 1919 - all killed in action in Russia:

They were:

1) 129843 Private Peter Welsh Richardson

born and resident Blairgowrie (or Plaigowrie), enlisted Perth (place of enlistment when this general is not always exact as often someone may have enlisted at a recruiting rally but place given on Soldiers Died is the local Regimental depot).

He was formerly S/28151 Seaforth Highlanders.

2) 129780 Sergeant Harry Jackson

born and resident Aston, enlsited Tower of London!

He was formerly 31012 Grenadier Guards - if this is yr relative the Guards archives may have a copy of his Guards service file as they kept their own copies unlike other Regiments.

3)131804 William Brown

born and resident Andover, enlisted Winchester

He was formerly 21022 RMLI - again all RMLI attestation papers survived and are available at the PRO/NA at Kew.

As a matter of interest there are another 19 men from the 45 Bttn that died in Russia on 10 Aug 1919.

I hope this info helps.

Thank you everyone who has helped with my question about the Royal Fusiliers in Russia.

The info from the war CD gave me the info i needed.

My ancestor was Sergeant Harry Jackson from Aston Birmingham.

How come he was a sergeant so young?

Have any of you visited Archangel.

A few of the same messages may appear here as i have already written this once but i dont know where it went.

I pressed add reply.

I have now pressed add quote.

Susan xxx.

Susan,

You say Harry Jackson was young to be a Sergeant but I could not find his age on the CWGC website. The youngest Sergeant I have researched was a 21 yr old but I am sure there were younger.

My supposition with Harry is that if he had been a Guardsman then he was very good with drill and was also of a large stature. Consequently he was confident when dealing with others and this was identified as a leadership quality.

This is purely speculation on my part.

As already mentioned, the Guards archives at Wellington Barracks are likely to his service file for his time with the Guards.

Guest keep fit.

Signals.

I agree Harry Jacksons age does not appear on the CWGC site there was not much info about him on the site.

I only knew he was the correct person because my father has his medal.

Harry was born in 1900.

Where are the wellington barracks?

Susan xxx.

Wellington Barracks is near St. James Park in London. The archives are open one day a week, but to visit you have to make a prior appointment. The office is usually manned between 11am and 3pm on a Tuesday only but I would try phoning between say 11:30 and 2pm to be on teh safe side. The contact is Major Eastwood - 020 7414 3221. they are very busy with requests but if you say he is a fa,ily relation and you are interested in finding out more about him etc, I am sure they will help as much as possible. I think I included his Guards service no. on my earlier post - be sure to have this available when/if you phone.

Let me know how you get on.

Guest keep fit.

Signals.

I have been in touch with majar Eastwood at wellington barracks.

I will be sending him all the details i have on harry jackson.

He will do all he can to help.

He also said it may take a while as one of thier collegues has just died and they are busy dealing with it.

Will let you know when i have some details.

Susan.

Hi Susan

Click on my name and it will take you to My Controls.

You can email me from there.

James Brown

Sad news about their colleague ... one Capt. Mason. He helped me out about 6/7 months ago with some details. However I am pleased Majpr Eastwood will help you out ... another really nice, helpful guy.

The Soldiers Died CD new is £220+ vat I think. Yep "ouch". Soimetimes second hand copies go on ebay for about £50. If you need look uyp some one on teh forum will always help you out.

Keep "us" posted on how you get on and what you find out about yr relative.