Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photo

jim_davies

The below photo is of my great grandfather Sidney James Lee.

Don't know too much about his service. He was apparently in the Royal Artillery, "looked after horses (?)" and was definitely in Lahore, India in Dec 1916. In the local town's history of the war he's shown as "serving with HM Forces at the Outbreak of the War", which I think most be a mistake, as on his children's birth certificates, 1914 & 1916 his civilian employment is listed as his occupation.

Alie has kindly looked for his records at the PRO (or NA) but so far has drawn a blank. A while back I paid a researcher to look him up, but unfortunately the Dvr S.J. Lee, RFA he was able to find isn't the same guy.

I was hoping that his uniform might offer some clues to his service.

Any help or insight would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jim

post-1-1056307147.jpg

If you still live reasonably local to where yr Gt Gfthr lived, you could search for an Absent Voters List of March/April (?) 1918? Unfortunately not many of these appear to have survived, and possibly as commented on another thread, they exist only for towns/villages/hamlets that were part of a Borough as opposed to a District.

However if you can find the AVL there is a chance yr Gt Gfthr battery or some other detail will be included. AVLs that have survived are normally held in County Records offices rather than local archive centres.

Alternatively contact/visit the Royal Artillery Museum (Archives) at Woolwich. Look up website for details. From what I have gathered they are now unlikely to carry out a search on yr behalf - I dont know what access to records is possible, but it is worth a try.

All the best in yr pursuit.

As a point of interest, the leather bandolier that your Gt.grandfather is wearing is an obsolete (Victorian?) pattern for the "mounted infantry".

I don't know whether this is of any help.

Dave.

Thanks,

Signals-Unfortunately I only got interested in the family history and hence the Great War after immigrating to the US. I've tried to track down a AVL for Stamford but haven't had any luck. Not tried the County Records Office, but will do so.

When I first started looking at Sid's service I contacted the Royal Artilley Museum, they were able to provide general info, but nothing pertaining to Sid directly.

Dave-Everything helps ! Sid was certainly too young to have served during Victoria's reign (he was born 1891). Was it possible that garrison units were given old equipment ? I received the photo, from a great aunt (sid's daughter) so am fairly confident it's him. Unfortunately his medals are apparently held by another branch of the family, who aren't keen on sharing any info, even on which medals they are !

Jim

Jim,

Unfortunately, the issue of old or obsolete patterns of equipment was rather common. For everyone in the 14/15 time frame, and then to home service and reserve units later on.

He does appear equipped to be a driver. He is wearing spurs, pantaloons and what might be a crop(?), although it could simply be a regimental cane.

Joe Sweeney