Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Deacon.

Dave66

Evening all,

I don’t normally dabble in medals, but today I came across a pair to William Deacon, the thing that swayed me was the fact his AB64 was included. As I’m not a seasoned collector, I have a couple of queries that I’d be grateful for some clarification….His M.I.C. Is below, courtesy of Ancestry

Firstly, the War Medal is inscribed……4612 Pte W Deacon W.York.R….The Victory Medal is the same number but the Regiment is now the West Riding Regiment…is this normal?

Secondly, his AB64 only covers a period from April 1919 onwards when he re-enlists in the Russian relief force, was it common practice to issue a new book?

Thanks all,

Dave.

IMG_5669.jpeg

quote - "Firstly, the War Medal is inscribed……4612 Pte W Deacon W.York.R….The Victory Medal is the same number but the Regiment is now the West Riding Regiment…is this normal?"

No, this is abnormal. The MIC doesn't help with the missing X and dots code so I would suggest that it was human error.

Thank you both for your replies,

I presume human error was quite common back in those days, but out of interest, what should they have been stamped with??

I’ve added a couple of pics below of the stampings, look ok to me but what do others think. The acting corporal bit is interesting, ties in with the AB64….’Att 53 ROYLi from DOWWRR”, but no date given…..also states he was awarded two wound stripes and three blue chevrons.

Dave.

IMG_5671.jpeg

IMG_5672.jpeg

Dave

I too know little about medals so this is speculation. I think the inscription on the VM looks a bit odd somehow (can’t explain why) leading me to wonder if it had been skimmed and reinscribed perhaps to replace a lost one? 
Is it possible to post a shot of the face of the VM? The rim around the edge would appear narrower had it been skimmed . As mentioned above, this could be complete tripe! 
Simon

Here you go….thanks Simon.

Dave.

IMG_5674.jpeg

Thanks Dave, when I get home I’ll  have a look at mine, the rim does look narrow but I have a vague memory they had a narrow rim to begin with so perhaps this takes us nowhere.

just checked against an odd one I had...looks ok, pic below.

Thanks for the thoughts, the more the merrier.

Dave.

IMG_5704.jpeg

3 hours ago, mancpal said:

Dave

I too know little about medals so this is speculation. I think the inscription on the VM looks a bit odd somehow (can’t explain why) leading me to wonder if it had been skimmed and reinscribed perhaps to replace a lost one? 
Is it possible to post a shot of the face of the VM? The rim around the edge would appear narrower had it been skimmed . As mentioned above, this could be complete tripe! 
Simon

Funny that you should say that. I was initially thinking the same about the BWM. The lettering looks a little bit as if it has been engraved rather than impressed but it is probably ok as photographs can be deceptive. I am certain that I have at least one medal in my collection that sports different regiments on the BWM and Victory so it did happen. As Daves medals sport the same service number (4612) I would suspect that they should both be to the W. York.R. Interesting that he re-enlisted into the Royal Fusiliers.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/4688366:5119?tid=&pid=&queryId=7b95db7e-9f75-4d53-9716-4d0d6622f611&_phsrc=NXb2093&_phstart=successSource

impressed naming looks ok to me, 

my only suggestion being, they should be the same regiment, the only change would have been rank, but that mainly between the star and a pair.

He did actually end up with more numbers.  from his MIC

4612 W Yorks presumably renumbered

266880 W Yorks

204932 W Riding 

from his pension index card

204932  W Riding

266880 W Yorks

129989 Training Reserve

TR/5/93343

Born 1899, registered address 32 Somers Street, Park Lane, Leeds

20/12/1919 was the start date of his pension award

presumably went to France after May 1915 and renumbering when they became 146th Bde (West Riding Division)

3 minutes ago, chaz said:

impressed naming looks ok to me, 

my only suggestion being, they should be the same regiment, the only change would have been rank, but that mainly between the star and a pair.

He did actually end up with more numbers.  from his MIC

4612 W Yorks presumably renumbered

266880 W Yorks

204932 W Riding 

from his pension index card

204932  W Riding

266880 W Yorks

129989 Training Reserve

TR/5/93343

Born 1899, registered address 32 Somers Street, Park Lane, Leeds

20/12/1919 was the start date of his pension award

presumably went to France after May 1915 and renumbering when they became 146th Bde (West Riding Division). the way to check would be to find another soldier that changed at the same time.

Thanks all,

I had a really good look at the numbering under a strong glass and all looks ok to me, similar to another I have. His 129989 number is the one featuring in his AB 64, he gives his birthday as 1st March 1900, and the somers street address is that of his mothers.

Given he only re-enlisted in April of that year, only 8 months later he was pensioned off, any indication as to why?, no ancestry at the moment, I usually save a few projects up then have a mad binge.

his AB64 is below.

Dave.

IMG_5729.jpeg

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5731.jpeg

IMG_5732.jpeg

IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg