Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John BOLTON, Pte 50324, 13th Royal Scots Fusiliers

Tom Lang

I am researching this soldier.

13th Battalion, R.S.F., was a Reserve Battalion and did not go abroad.

He is buried in Canterbury Cemetery, Kent.
Private J Bolton | War Casualty Details 368569 | CWGC

CWGC describe the Cemetery as:
"During both wars, there were extensive army barracks in Canterbury, which included the regimental depot of The Buffs.".

May I ask if anyone with knowledge of the Geography & History of this Cemetery, can help explain if a local hospital was in operation during WW1?

I assume that Private John BOLTON sustained serious wounds in France/Flanders, requiring his evacuation back to the UK, where he Died of his Wounds.

I'd like to find any medical records to explain his 'Admin' transfer to 13th R.S.F.

Kindest Regards,
Tom.

BOLTON John - Pte 50324 13th RSF - Canterbury Cemetery Kent England pic 1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

I assume that Private John BOLTON sustained serious wounds in France/Flanders, requiring his evacuation back to the UK, where he Died of his Wounds.

Both his MiC and Soldiers Died in the Great War show him as "Died" - so something other than "Died of Wounds (received in action)". That doesn't rule out death relating to a post operative infection or something contracted whilst in hospital subsequent to being admitted for wounds, but you'd most likely need something like his service records to confirm that or a helpful newspaper report.

Have you done a near number search to investigate the likely circumstances in which he gained the Royal Scots Fusiliers number 50324? It's unlikely it was an administrative transfer on medical repatriation to the UK.

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin

Pte Bolton was formerly 160 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1st Battalion entered theatre 19 December 1914.

There is a fragment on FMP list of sick and wounded no date suffering from bronchitis. Most of the other men on the list are suffering from malaria so I guess at some point he was evacuated from Salonika.

Looking at Peter’s suggestion:-

50346 Hunt transferred to 2/4 Royal Scots 6th June 1917

50305 posted 1/5 20/11/1917 (Palestine)

50350 Marsh transferred to  2/4 14.6.1917

The two men posted to the 2/4 had previously been posted to the 5th Labour Battalion attached to the Ladd ranges. After the posting to the 2/4 they were moved on to the Labour Corps.

As Pte Bolton in the U.K. you could obtain a death certificate from GRO but I suspect it was complications from the influenza pandemic given his previous diagnosis.  I don’t know if @Matlock1418 can find a pension record or if it helps.

11 hours ago, kenf48 said:

As Pte Bolton in the U.K. you could obtain a death certificate from GRO but I suspect it was complications from the influenza pandemic given his previous diagnosis.  I don’t know if @Matlock1418 can find a pension record or if it helps.

You called? ...

Sorry, in haste ... WFA/Fold3 have a number of pension records - the main pension index card indicates: 9.7.18. Tubercule of lung contracted or commencing on active service.

Widow Flora, b.23.10.91, 2 Barrack St, Hamilton  A Standard 13/9 pw [for an <45 widow of a Pte] from 20.1.19  and a £5 Grant

Hope that helps

M

Edit: For most E&W deaths D. Certificates [Digital] can now commonly be obtained almost instantly for £2.50 - no more waiting for a PDF or paper copy.

BOLTON, JOHN     27  
GRO Reference: 1918  S Quarter in CANTERBURY  Volume 02A  Page 997  

Digital copy is available for him

Further edit [to keep it all in one place]: From another PIC - Widow remarried becoming PATERSON and seems to have moved to the USA [card details apparently Copied from P,10 OS Index 16.12.27]

Edited by Matlock1418
further edit

• Admin
8 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Hope that helps

Thanks, certainly does. So cause of death was tuberculosis not wounds.

@Tom LangThe Kentish Gazette (FMP) reported military funerals of men who were interred at the Cemetery and died at the Canterbury and Kent Hospital Canterbury. Unfortunately Law of S*d means he is not there though you may care for a deeper browse if you subscribe.

Many thanks for all the replies.

I now have more digging to do.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

On 09/02/2024 at 17:56, Matlock1418 said:

<snip>

Widow Flora, b.23.10.91, 2 Barrack St, Hamilton  A Standard 13/9 pw [for an <45 widow of a Pte] from 20.1.19  and a £5 Grant

<snip>

<snip>

Edit: For most E&W deaths D. Certificates [Digital] can now commonly be obtained almost instantly for £2.50 - no more waiting for a PDF or paper copy.

BOLTON, JOHN     27  
GRO Reference: 1918  S Quarter in CANTERBURY  Volume 02A  Page 997  

Digital copy is available for him

Further edit [to keep it all in one place]: From another PIC - Widow remarried becoming PATERSON and seems to have moved to the USA [card details apparently Copied from P,10 OS Index 16.12.27]

<snip>

Thank you @Matlock1418, but...

I have searched ScotlandsPeople and cannot find any marriage record.

This leads me on a wild goose chase to find his widow. I have searched for marriages with Paterson and Bolton (Flora) but come up with no records.

Re the GRO reference and Digital Death Certificates; I tried this, but each time I ended up on the Passport Office Application...

Can you provide a specific link to the £2.50 instant Certificate?

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

15 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

Can you provide a specific link to the £2.50 instant Certificate?

I'm not sure I can instantly/directly provide a link. in that you have to find the death entry first and select the little round button to the left of the requisite entry and up pops the three options Certificate, PDF & Digital below the entry - then take it from there [Providing you are registered with GRO]

image.png.aae26de489216c121769e47b8493bf67.png

I start at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp 

Should take you to the right place to start - but if not then make sure you have selected Search the GRO Online Index(es)

M

Edit: I suppose this might work - I don't know how it might look to you [possibly not filled in like I originally saw]

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_ew_death_quoted.asp?APPLICATION_ID=5T6E7381A7I39PC8307S4IY4EZYZ5CKRG51&iImageAvailable=1&IDistrict=CANTERBURY&ISurname=BOLTON&IForename=JOHN&IAge=27&IQuarter=3&IVol=02A&IPage=997&IRUI=5T6E7381A7I59CC125734IX4DT1NN7B4GJH

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

I'm not sure I can instantly/directly provide a link. in that you have to find the death entry first and select the little round button to the left of the requisite entry and up pops the three options Certificate, PDF & Digital below the entry - then take it from there [Providing you are registered with GRO]

image.png.aae26de489216c121769e47b8493bf67.png

I start at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp 

Should take you to the right place to start - but if not then make sure you have selected Search the GRO Online Index(es)

M

Edit: I suppose this might work - I don't know how it might look to you [possibly not filled in like I originally saw]

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_ew_death_quoted.asp?APPLICATION_ID=5T6E7381A7I39PC8307S4IY4EZYZ5CKRG51&iImageAvailable=1&IDistrict=CANTERBURY&ISurname=BOLTON&IForename=JOHN&IAge=27&IQuarter=3&IVol=02A&IPage=997&IRUI=5T6E7381A7I59CC125734IX4DT1NN7B4GJH

Thanks M.

I keep getting confused when all links take me to the Passport Office (attached screen snippet).

I tried to login but my password was rejected (haven't logged on here for a while).

I used the link 'Forgot Password' and got the (long-winded) message that I might receive a reply in 'about 2 hours'!

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 140841.jpg

1 minute ago, Tom Lang said:

and got the (long-winded) message that I might receive a reply in 'about 2 hours'!

Once you are in should only take you minutes to order - and seconds to receive!

M

I'll let you know. Many Thanks!

On 12/02/2024 at 14:26, Matlock1418 said:

Once you are in should only take you minutes to order - and seconds to receive!

M

I finally managed to succeed - took a while. My previous 'account' no longer worked it's been a while), so I had to register again.

Finally got there, and attached (courtesy of GRO) is his 'digital' Death Certificate.

I'll have to dig deeper for a marriage to Flora.

It is also shown that his place of death was 'Military Hospital U. D.'

Do you have any idea which Military Hospital that might have been?

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

GRO Full Cert snippet 1.jpg

I found the marriage record.

John Bolton, age 27, a Private in the 4th Battalion, RSF, married Flora Kinloch Brown, age 26, on 1 Apr 1918, at 2 Barrack Street, Hamilton Lanarkshire. (courtesy ScotlandsPeople)

4th Battalion RSF arrived Marseilles from Egypt 17 Apr 1918. (courtesy TNA)

So I assume that he was shipped home 'Wounded' prior to his marriage in Hamilton on 1 Apr 1918.

He died 9 Jul 1918 in a Military Hospital in Canterbury, and his wife Flora reported his death the next day.

I suppose he was returning to his Battalion, got to 'the southern coast' port, took ill again; was sent to a Military Hospital in or near Canterbury where he died.

He was transferred to 13th RSF for 'Admin' purposes.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

1918 04 01 marriage at Hamilton BOLTON JOHN age 27 and BROWN FLORA KINLOCH age 26 snippet.jpg

WO-95-2896-3_Page_003.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang

1 hour ago, Tom Lang said:

It is also shown that his place of death was 'Military Hospital U. D.'

Do you have any idea which Military Hospital that might have been?

Would be the hospital in that urban district council area. As @kenf48 suggested earlier it's likely to be the Canterbury and Kent Hospital, although worthwhile checking to see if there was an Isolation Hospital as well. I think there was one at The Mount Hospital, Stodmarsh Road, Canterbury. https://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.ExploringKentsPast.Web.Sites.Public/SingleResult.aspx?uid=MKE17399

48 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

So I assume that he was shipped home 'Wounded' prior to his marriage in Hamilton on 1 Apr 1918.

Nothing found so far to suggest he was wounded and when Ken did a near number search he found a couple of men who transferred into the 2/4th Battalion in June 1917. That Battalion was in Ireland until it was disbanded in May 1918. That was probably when he was transferred to the 13th Battalion.

It's unlikely that Tuberculosis was only discovered either just prior to death or as part of any post-mortem. However in my experience men were normally discharged quite quickly after diagnosis, so he may have been mis-diagnosed previously - TB can present in a number of ways. The 13th according to the Long, Long Trail was "Formed in Deal, Kent, on 27 April 1918, to replace 11th Bn. Moved to Sandwich in July 1918 and remained there". That would suggest hospital treatment in Canterbury was a distinct possibility.

Given his civilian occupation was Coal Miner according to that wedding register entry, breathing difficulties, etc may have been assumed to have been caused by that and so the T.B. was missed. Either way he would have been likely to have been medically repatriated to the UK.

Cheers,
Peter

On 09/02/2024 at 17:02, kenf48 said:

Pte Bolton was formerly 160 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1st Battalion entered theatre 19 December 1914.

There is a fragment on FMP list of sick and wounded no date suffering from bronchitis. Most of the other men on the list are suffering from malaria so I guess at some point he was evacuated from Salonika.

Looking at Peter’s suggestion:-

50346 Hunt transferred to 2/4 Royal Scots 6th June 1917

50305 posted 1/5 20/11/1917 (Palestine)

50350 Marsh transferred to  2/4 14.6.1917

The two men posted to the 2/4 had previously been posted to the 5th Labour Battalion attached to the Ladd ranges. After the posting to the 2/4 they were moved on to the Labour Corps.

Hello Ken,

Do you mean "2/4 Royal Scots" OR 2/4 Royal Scots Fusiliers?

I'd also be interested to learn of the source of your info - please!

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

18 hours ago, PRC said:

Would be the hospital in that urban district council area. As @kenf48 suggested earlier it's likely to be the Canterbury and Kent Hospital, although worthwhile checking to see if there was an Isolation Hospital as well. I think there was one at The Mount Hospital, Stodmarsh Road, Canterbury. https://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.ExploringKentsPast.Web.Sites.Public/SingleResult.aspx?uid=MKE17399

Nothing found so far to suggest he was wounded and when Ken did a near number search he found a couple of men who transferred into the 2/4th Battalion in June 1917. That Battalion was in Ireland until it was disbanded in May 1918. That was probably when he was transferred to the 13th Battalion.

It's unlikely that Tuberculosis was only discovered either just prior to death or as part of any post-mortem. However in my experience men were normally discharged quite quickly after diagnosis, so he may have been mis-diagnosed previously - TB can present in a number of ways. The 13th according to the Long, Long Trail was "Formed in Deal, Kent, on 27 April 1918, to replace 11th Bn. Moved to Sandwich in July 1918 and remained there". That would suggest hospital treatment in Canterbury was a distinct possibility.

Given his civilian occupation was Coal Miner according to that wedding register entry, breathing difficulties, etc may have been assumed to have been caused by that and so the T.B. was missed. Either way he would have been likely to have been medically repatriated to the UK.

Cheers,
Peter

I'm examining your info and I'm grateful for your help.

One thing you said (referring to Ken's search) was "...a couple of men who transferred into the 2/4th Battalion in June 1917. That Battalion was in Ireland until it was disbanded in May 1918".

Are you referring to 4th Royal Scots Fusiliers or 4th Royal Scots?

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Trying to unravel 1/4th Bn or 2/4th Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers.

LLT:

1/4th Battalion
August 1914 : in Kilmarnock. Part of South Scottish Brigade, Lowland Division. Moved in August 1914 to Stirling.
May 1915 : formation became 155th Brigade, 52nd (Lowland) Division.
Sailed from Liverpool on 21 May 1915, going via Lemnos to Gallipoli, where the battalion disembarked at “V” and “W” Beaches of Cape Helles on 6 June 1915.
8 January 1916: the battalion was evacuated from Gallipoli. After a period at Lemnos, it landed at Alexandria in Egypt on 4 February 1916.
Moved to France with the Division in April 1918.

2/4th Battalion
Formed at Kilmarnock in October 1914 as a home service (“second line”) unit. Came under orders of 194th Brigade, 65th Division. Stayed in UK until the Division was broken up in March 1918. By summer 1915 was at Rumbling Bridge at Kinross; moved to Falkirk in November 1915 and merged with 2/5th Bn and 2/5th Border Regiment to form 13th Bn (not the same as the battalion shown as 13th below). Resumed identity in January 1916 and absorbed 2/5th Bn. Moved to Springfield Camp at Chelmsford in March 1916 and went on to Ballykinler in Ireland in January 1917. Moved in August 1917 to Oughterard in Galway and then in November 1917 to Dublin and thence the Curragh. The Bn was disbanded in Ireland on 15 May 1918.

This is difficult to follow. Notice 13th Bn mentioned in 2/4th's description.

Scratching my head...

So 2/4th Bn did not go to Salonika, that was 1/4th Bn.

Edited by Tom Lang

20 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

Are you referring to 4th Royal Scots Fusiliers or 4th Royal Scots?

Royal Scots Fusiliers as per the information you have copied https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-royal-scots-fusiliers-in-1914-1918/

Ken will need to clarify what he found when he did the original near number search as without subscription access I will struggle to find anything like that level of detail.

Cheers,
Peter

3 minutes ago, PRC said:

Royal Scots Fusiliers as per the information you have copied https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-royal-scots-fusiliers-in-1914-1918/

Ken will need to clarify what he found when he did the original near number search as without subscription access I will struggle to find anything like that level of detail.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks Peter.

• Admin

Apologies for causing confusion

Yes they are near numbers for the 2/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers

This is an extract of the Medal Roll for the 13th Royal Scots Fusiliers 14-15 Star:-

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 21.55.11.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry

and this is the 'fragment' on FMP;-

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 21.59.51.png

Image courtesy of FMP 

This record is not dated but we know the 1st Argylls landed at Salonica on 13 December 1915 and remained there for the rest of the war, given the large number of men on the list suffering from malaria it's fair to assume this fragment represents men reported to various record offices who were serving in that theatre.

We don't know if he was repatriated due to his 'bronchitis' which subsequently was diagnosed as TB but at some point in time we know he was sent home and transferred out of the Argylls.

I note a typo (or auto correct) in my previous post when I said these men were employed on the Lydd Ranges. These are on the Kent Coast and still used today, at least when I last rode by them a few years ago.

This is the AF 103B for  Pte 50346 Hunt:-

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 22.11.01.png

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 22.11.49.png

Image from FMP

50291 McCrory was posted to the 3rd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers Fort Matilda on the 16 August 1918 from the Labour Corps

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 22.27.36.png

Image from FMP

It would therefore appear we are looking at a transfer to the Royal Scots Fusiliers shortly before his death. It seems more than likely he was evacuated to the UK from the 1st Argylls and posted to the Labour Corps before what was essentially an administrative posting to the Royal Scots Fusiliers shortly before his death.  He was probably like Pte Hunt destined for the Curragh (a Home posting) but never made it and was posted to the 13th Battalion whilst sick/in hospital but without a service record we cannot be certain.

18 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Apologies for causing confusion

Yes they are near numbers for the 2/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers

This is an extract of the Medal Roll for the 13th Royal Scots Fusiliers 14-15 Star:-

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 21.55.11.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry

and this is the 'fragment' on FMP;-

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 21.59.51.png

Image courtesy of FMP 

This record is not dated but we know the 1st Argylls landed at Salonica on 13 December 1915 and remained there for the rest of the war, given the large number of men on the list suffering from malaria it's fair to assume this fragment represents men reported to various record offices who were serving in that theatre.

We don't know if he was repatriated due to his 'bronchitis' which subsequently was diagnosed as TB but at some point in time we know he was sent home and transferred out of the Argylls.

I note a typo (or auto correct) in my previous post when I said these men were employed on the Lydd Ranges. These are on the Kent Coast and still used today, at least when I last rode by them a few years ago.

This is the AF 103B for  Pte 50346 Hunt:-

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 22.11.01.png

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 22.11.49.png

Image from FMP

50291 McCrory was posted to the 3rd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers Fort Matilda on the 16 August 1918 from the Labour Corps

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 22.27.36.png

Image from FMP

It would therefore appear we are looking at a transfer to the Royal Scots Fusiliers shortly before his death. It seems more than likely he was evacuated to the UK from the 1st Argylls and posted to the Labour Corps before what was essentially an administrative posting to the Royal Scots Fusiliers shortly before his death.  He was probably like Pte Hunt destined for the Curragh (a Home posting) but never made it and was posted to the 13th Battalion whilst sick/in hospital but without a service record we cannot be certain.

Thanks for your detailed information.

But I'd like you to consider the timing of his marriage (in Hamilton, Scotland) and his death in a Military Hospital, in Canterbury, Kent, England.

Marriage Record:
-------------------
1 Apr 1918: John Bolton, age 27, a Private in the 4th Bn, RSF, married Flora Kinloch Brown, age 26, at 2 Barrack Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire. 
John's Usual Address: Lochend Cottage, Coatbridge (Presently at Kinross).

Flora's Usual Address: 2 Barrack Street, Hamilton.

4th RSF arrived Marseilles from Egypt on 17 Apr 1918.

Death Record:
---------------
9 Jul 1918: John died in a Military Hospital in Canterbury.
His wife Flora was "present at the death" and reported his death the next day.

His address on the marriage record shows (presently at Kinross).

They were married for 3 months.

The death record shows the cause of death as 'Tubercular Meningitis' (which I don't think he contracted in Hamilton.

His wife must have either travelled south to Kent with him, or travelled there and was present in the hospital when he died.

Just some more anomalies, but the picture is much better known than when I started, all that due to the GWF.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

1918 04 01 marriage at Hamilton BOLTON JOHN age 27 and BROWN FLORA KINLOCH age 26 snippet.jpg

1918 07 09 death BOLTON JOHN age 27 at Military Hospital Canterbury - GRO Cert snippet.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang

• Admin
18 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

But I'd like you to consider the timing of his marriage (in Hamilton, Scotland) and his death in a Military Hospital, in Canterbury, Kent, England.

4th RSF arrived Marseilles from Egypt on 17 Apr 1918.

The 1/4th arrived Marseilles on 17 April 1918.

The 2/4th was a Home service Battalion that served in Ireland on garrison duty until disbanded on the 15th May 1918

The 3/4th became the 4th (Reserve) Battalion. The 4th (Reserve) Battalion R.S.F. was based Kinross as part of the Forth Garrison and where it remained until the war ended.  (LLT)

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-royal-scots-fusiliers-in-1914-1918/

The men I found and the specimen record posted above for information were transferred into the 2/4 R.S.F. in June 1917.  We don't know how the number blocks were managed by the Record Office but one in the sequence was posted to the 5th Battalion.  In any event his number that in June 1917 he was transferred to a Home Service Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.  We don't know for certain where he was posted.

Therefore my interpretation ofJohn Bolton's service is:-

In 1908/09 he enlisted as a regular soldier in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Paul Nixon's indispensable site tells us when the new series commenced number 2 joined on 16th June 1908 and 254 joined on 15th February 1909). https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/02/argyll-sutherland-highlanders-1881-1914.html

He was posted to the 1st Battalion which was in India when war was declared on 4th August 1914.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/princess-louises-argyll-sutherland-highlanders/

He returns to the UK with his Battalion and on 19th December 1914 accompanies the main body of the Battalion to France (medal roll). He remains with the Battalion which was posted to Salonica in December 1915 ('fragment' on FMP).

Repatriated to the UK on a date unknown, but self evidently after 1916. The likelihood is this was a result of sickness.

Without a service record this episode of his service is speculative but the usual course would be treatment, convalescence and Command Depot whilst on the strength of the Depot or Reserve Battalion of his Regiment for administration i.e. pay etc. Then when treatment completed medically boarded as to fitness to serve. Presumably Pte. Bolton's fitness category downgraded to garrison duty at home.  I imagine it was probably during this period he met his future wife.

On the 1st April 1918 the marriage certificate shows he was at Kinross and serving in the 4th (Reserve) Battalion.  Although the '(Reserve)' is omitted.

As Peter has already observed on the 27th April 1918 the 13th Battalion R.S.F. was formed in Deal, Kent. We know for certain he was serving in that battalion when he was hospitalised and died as a consequence of the progression of his T.B.

Without a service record we can only suggest he was posted from the 4th (Reserve) Battalion at Kinross to the 13th Battalion at Deal on or around yhe latter's formation.

4 hours ago, kenf48 said:

The 1/4th arrived Marseilles on 17 April 1918.

The 2/4th was a Home service Battalion that served in Ireland on garrison duty until disbanded on the 15th May 1918

The 3/4th became the 4th (Reserve) Battalion. The 4th (Reserve) Battalion R.S.F. was based Kinross as part of the Forth Garrison and where it remained until the war ended.  (LLT)

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-royal-scots-fusiliers-in-1914-1918/

The men I found and the specimen record posted above for information were transferred into the 2/4 R.S.F. in June 1917.  We don't know how the number blocks were managed by the Record Office but one in the sequence was posted to the 5th Battalion.  In any event his number that in June 1917 he was transferred to a Home Service Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.  We don't know for certain where he was posted.

Therefore my interpretation ofJohn Bolton's service is:-

In 1908/09 he enlisted as a regular soldier in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Paul Nixon's indispensable site tells us when the new series commenced number 2 joined on 16th June 1908 and 254 joined on 15th February 1909). https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/02/argyll-sutherland-highlanders-1881-1914.html

He was posted to the 1st Battalion which was in India when war was declared on 4th August 1914.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/princess-louises-argyll-sutherland-highlanders/

He returns to the UK with his Battalion and on 19th December 1914 accompanies the main body of the Battalion to France (medal roll). He remains with the Battalion which was posted to Salonica in December 1915 ('fragment' on FMP).

Repatriated to the UK on a date unknown, but self evidently after 1916. The likelihood is this was a result of sickness.

Without a service record this episode of his service is speculative but the usual course would be treatment, convalescence and Command Depot whilst on the strength of the Depot or Reserve Battalion of his Regiment for administration i.e. pay etc. Then when treatment completed medically boarded as to fitness to serve. Presumably Pte. Bolton's fitness category downgraded to garrison duty at home.  I imagine it was probably during this period he met his future wife.

On the 1st April 1918 the marriage certificate shows he was at Kinross and serving in the 4th (Reserve) Battalion.  Although the '(Reserve)' is omitted.

As Peter has already observed on the 27th April 1918 the 13th Battalion R.S.F. was formed in Deal, Kent. We know for certain he was serving in that battalion when he was hospitalised and died as a consequence of the progression of his T.B.

Without a service record we can only suggest he was posted from the 4th (Reserve) Battalion at Kinross to the 13th Battalion at Deal on or around yhe latter's formation.

Thank you Ken.

This is a thoroughly (now understandable - to me) succinct explanation, and clears my misunderstandings.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.