Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

searching Pte D J Jones

robert jones

My  Grandmothers address book has a Soldiers name Pte D J Jones 61756, 2nd Batt SWB 29th Div Receipt Camp BEF France, I think he is one of the men that was billeted at our house at Colwyn Bay in   WW1, I have failed to find any record of him on Ancestry or Find my Past, anyone got idea's, I do have a possible photo from the time of him and two others standing on our doorstep, would appreciate any help thank you. Rob.

I would suggest looking for men with service numbers either side, of the same regiment, but don't use a name, just regiment and a number close to your man and see what is there.

Although it could be that he was sent to France then posted into a battalion in need of replacements so his "home" history has been lost

29th Div Receipt Camp BEF France

Checking 

1 hour ago, robert jones said:

Div Receipt Camp

Is that Div Rest Camp?

Edited by charlie962

Unfortunately, we do not have a lot to go on, and no records are coming to light.

It looks like that service number, if correct, was issued towards the end of 1917.

Could he have ended up in France at an Infantry Base Depot, and to have been compulsorily transferred to another regiment, being renumbered in the process?

3 minutes ago, BarbaraG said:

Long shot but found this Medal Index Card for James JONES on Ancestry.

Thanks for that but the man in question is 61756 South Wales Borderers, not Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

You mention a photo. Are they in uniform, and if so could you post it. 
A inform expert my be able to give some pointers. 

Please find photo, the Lady is my Grandmother the little boy my Father he was born 1907, it is difficult timage.jpeg.767feca2927fada43cb6d91f77e2db15.jpego date the photo,

6 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Thanks for that but the man in question is 61756 South Wales Borderers, not Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

I was not aware that two people could have the same service number, also could Recept Camp be short for Reception Camp.

This is close with the number. 

Medal card of Jones, John
Corps Regiment No Rank
South Wales Borderers 61735 Private
Royal Welsh Fusiliers 93935 Private
Date: 1914-1920

Cap badge, although not marvellously clear, does appear to be a reasonable match to SWB

3 hours ago, robert jones said:

I was not aware that two people could have the same service number

They can indeed. There's a list here of 21 men with that number, and that's just the ones who won a campaign medal:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1262/?count=50&f-Self-Military-RegimentNumber=61756+&f-Self-Military-RegimentNumber_x=1

14 hours ago, robert jones said:

image.jpeg.767feca2927fada43cb6d91f77e2db15.jpeg

Lee Metford rifles and 1917-ish SWB number suggests new recruits on their way to France.  "29th Div Receipt Camp BEF France" seems likely to be 29 IBD (later in 1917 D IDB) at Rouen.  29 Div included 87 Inf Bde which included 2 SWB.......but from there? 

Edited by TullochArd