Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military foot police

paul allen

Any information regarding 1036 L. CPL. J. HAWKES M.F.P would be appreciated, or if you could point me in the right direction that would be great

kind Regards

paul

Welcome to the forum.  
 Joseph Hawkes first went overseas 5/10/14 until 10/1/15, he was awarded the 1914 Star, British War and Victory medal trio.  
 Find My Past have a single sheet record from a Courts Martial where Joseph was  involved in the capture of a deserter from the Inland Waterways section of the Royal Engineers on the 17th October 1917 at Richborough.   
Looking at men with near numbers it looks like he joined the MFP in 1909 - Forum member @Provost may be able to provide more information/ correct me if I’m mistaken.  

Edited by GWF1967

Morning

Adam Llewellyn mentioned his wounding in this thread, last but one post.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Welcome to the forum.  
 Joseph Hawkes first went overseas 5/10/14 until 10/1/15, he was awarded the 1914 Star, British War and Victory medal trio.  
 Find My Past have a single sheet record from a Courts Martial where Joseph was  involved in the capture of a deserter from the Inland Waterways section of the Royal Engineers on the 17th October 1917 at Richborough.   
Looking at men with near numbers it looks like he joined the MFP in 1909 - Forum member @Provost may be able to provide more information/ correct me if I’m mistaken.  

Many thanks for the information and advice. Been collecting for years, but since retirement would like to learn more.

Cheers Paul

Evening Paul,

Joseph Hawkes was born c1882 in Highworth near Swindon. He joined the Army on 21st July 1904 at Guildford a labourer aged 22 years 4 months, serving with the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt 2nd Bn No 8121. On 26th Feb 1909, he transferred to the MFP under No 1036.

He married Ethel Louise Andrews in January 1911 at Folkestone - they had five children between 1912-17. 

Awarded 1914 Star, War and Victory.

Allotted the new No 7681263.

Discharged at Aldershot on 20th July 1925 - King's Regs Para 363 (xxi), rank Corporal, character - Very Good.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Richard

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Evening Paul,

Joseph Hawkes was born c1882 in Highworth near Swindon. He joined the Army on 21st July 1904 at Guildford a labourer aged 22 years 4 months, serving with the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt 2nd Bn No 8121. On 26th Feb 1909, he transferred to the MFP under No 1036.

He married Ethel Louise Andrews in January 1911 at Folkestone - they had five children between 1912-17. 

Awarded 1914 Star, War and Victory.

Allotted the new No 7681263.

Discharged at Aldershot on 20th July 1925 - King's Regs Para 363 (xxi), rank Corporal, character - Very Good.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Richard

That's brilliant , thanks for taking the time out to get me some information. 

Much appreciated

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just an add on to this. Highworth was the regional registration point for BDMs including Swindon up until 1899, so he could have been born in Swindon, then a growing Railway town attracting men from all over.

Not overly helpful

Grant