Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cases accepted by the CWGC, NAM and JCCC 'War Detectives'

thetrenchrat22

Today, i have received news that the following have been accepted and now they have their names back 

ID Number Details Date of Submission
449 14/149 Private George Galloway, 14th Bn, York and Lancaster Regiment. 4th June 1916 - Achiet-Le-Grand Communal Cemetery Extension, France - IV.Q.10 20th June 2018
522 46625 Private Charles Ernest Lane, 1st/4th Bn York and Lancaster Regiment, 2nd November 1918 - Auberchicourt British Cemetery, France - IV. B. 1. 19th November 2018
523 235973 Lance Corporal Thomas Gustafson, 1st/4th Bn, York and Lancaster Regiment, 13th October 1918 - York Cemetery, Haspres, France - D. 9. 24th November 2018
525 39816 Private George Montague Price, 5th Bn South Wales Borderers, 2nd October 1917, Chester Farm Cemetery, Belgium, 3.G.16 13th December 2018
526 225665 Lance Corporal Arthur James Dowding, 1st Bn Monmouthshire Regiment, 3rd October 1918, Bellicourt British Cemetery, France - 6.G.3 27th November 2018

The rededication services for Galloway, Lane and Gustafon will take place over the week commencing 15th April 2024 and Price & Dowding the week commencing 1st July 2024 

Submitted by you? Well done. 

11 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Submitted by you? Well done. 

Gareth, Thank you and submitted by me. 

Well Done Alan. Great work.

Well done.

Alan - great work - keep it up!

Thank you all.  I wasn’t expecting all 5 in one go, even more so I wasn’t expecting the cases of Dowding and Gustafson to be accepted because of the rank and i didn’t nearly submit them.  

well that’s all of my 2018 cases all  done now. 

Alan

Well done, 

so an average of 5 years.

how long did it take you, when first looked at a unknown grave to the submission date.

I wonder how long the CWGC NAM and JCCC sat on them, before being looked at and how long it took to come a decision to pass it along the next step of the process 

Will

Edited by Chesterboy

Well done, always nice to learn about..

Wondering how much detailed feedback you got on the positive identifications for named commemoration

[and/or possibly equally/perhaps more helpfully if any detailed feedback on any that were possibly negative ??]

???

M

• 2 months later...

I see today, the CWGC are reporting on there website 'FIVE FIRST WORLD WAR SOLDIERS GRAVES REDEDICATED IN FRANCE.' 

The graves of these men came to light after researchers submitted evidence to CWGC hoping to have identified them. After further research carried out by CWGC, the National Army Museum and JCCC, these findings were confirmed.

Again no public acknowledgment and the JCC have not asked if my details can be forwarded to the modern next of kin of these families.  

TR

If your research led to the identification of one or more of these graves then congratulations for your great work.

I know that the Regimental Association of the Yorks & Lancs were delighted that the graves of five of their men were identified and sent representatives to attend the rededications.

I have pdf copies of the service booklets so if you would like copies then pm me your email address.

Mel 

thank you for your reply, as I was unable to attend I was asked if I wanted copies of the service sheets to be sent to me, so I said yes.  

I wonder what statement the war detectives have put on their facebook page and the reactions, comments by the public 

Alan 

2 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

I wonder what statement the war detectives have put on their facebook page and the reactions, comments by the public 

I think we can likely guess.:(

:thumbsup: :) Well done on your discoveries and subsequent efforts - Even if not this mortal coil your reward will be in heaven [Perhaps you will meet those lads - oh, the tales they perhaps might tell]

:poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy::poppy:

M

40 minutes ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

They make no mention of any researcher but many comments thank them for the continued work in finding these lost souls.

• Admin

Achiet le Petit 

IMG_0543.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpeg

Has the Colonel got enough badges?

54 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Has the Colonel got enough badges?

:D

I think it's a single French para wings badge that is balancing out the rack of Britsh medals [or otherwise he is successfully working hard to stand upright]

M

Edited by Matlock1418