Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Shoebridge 1st Bn East Kent Reg

strongbow

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me with information surrounding the death of my relative, who is commemorated at Tyne Cot.

SHOEBRIDGE, John, Died: 2-Aug-1918Private, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment), 1st Bn., Age: 44, Service# G/10434, Location: Panel 17., Son of Edward Shoebridge, of Rotton Row House Cottage, Lewes; husband of Isabella Shoebridge, of 16, Bates Road, Brighton.

Many thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, strongbow said:

The Buffs (East Kent Regiment), 1st Bn

War Diary currently available for free download at TNA [after free registration]

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017175

M

Edited by Matlock1418
currently

I can’t add much but he has a medal roll index card indicating his entitlement to the BWM and VM. This indicates his first service in a theatre of war was after 1/1/16.

Simon

• Admin

10438 enlisted under the Derby or Group Scheme on the penultimate day of the 10 December 1915.

Mobilised to the 3rd Battalion on 12 July 1916.

10433 mobilised to the Buffs the same day bu posted to the MGC

pte Shoebridge would appear to have been mobilised on 12 July  1916 minimum of 12 weeks training (bearing in mind the TR on the 1st September 1916).  Possible to BEF around October.

2 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Mobilised to the 3rd Battalion on 12 July 1916

Called up rather than mobilised. aged 40.

He has a surviving service record showing he first went to France 16/12/16. He returned to England Dec 1917 then back again to France July 1918, shortly before he was posted missing. 

British Red Cross and International Red Cross enquiries have him as C Company at the time he went missing.