Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Willy Hüse 2 Genesenden Komp. What's his story?


depaor01

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Revisiting parts of my collection that remain unresearched but acquired years ago. This man seems to have been in a "convalescent company" and has extensive documentation which I'd love to understand. What was a convalescent company? 

Better scans to come. Meantime here's a postcard to his mother and the covers of his militärpass and soldbuch.

Dave

20240207_212531.jpg.893759795dbbcf7f2cd048be7d88be55.jpg20240207_212548.jpg.4203acecb14a5e6daeccd8637ea769f4.jpg20240207_213553.jpg.bacb1ffb4c1c2bab1f9d8f19e7f5df72.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, depaor01 said:

What was a convalescent company? 

A depot company where soldiers could recover after illness or wound before returning to the front. Members would be on light duties till deemed fit for active service.

Charlie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Charlie.

Any chance of anyone decoding the postcard and also the following pages? There seems to be a Militarpass within another one with (rusty) staples keeping it all together. I wonder what an archivist would do with the staples. They're original but rusty. Leave? replace? preserve??

I see the words Babenhausen and reference to the Champagne campaign. Little else.

Anyway here goes:

1.jpg.0817262b62e7db877eca4332267559f9.jpg2.jpg.1c77c7a3631a2cb4c9c79f7ebf8d182e.jpg3.jpg.1b522dffa72de2c58395b0070f6dd73e.jpg5.jpg.0a46b1a7fa365b16b3ad5187b47b3609.jpg

Edited by depaor01
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Postcard:

Liebe Schwägerin,

komme zu Neujahr komme ich auf Urlaub. Frohes Fest wünscht allen,

Willy

So a postcard to his sister in law announcing he will get leave for New Year and wishing a merry Xmas.

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

His name is Huse not Hüse btw.

1st Photo

11. Besondere Militärische Ausbildung: Mit Gewehr 98 - Particular military training: with rifle 98.

12. Bemerkungen: Führung gut, Strafen _____ - Comments: Character good, Punishments _____
 

Coesfeld 8th October 1917

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2nd Photo

2. Genesungs Kompagnie, Ersatz (Bataillon)/(IR)138

diente ab 6.10.15 bei nebenstehender Kompagnie und wird mit dem 10.8.17 gemäß Verordnung des Stellvertretenden Generalkommando XXI Armee Korps von 31.7.17 Abteilung R I No.3776/6218 auf Zeche Zollverein Caternberg entlassen.

Führung - gut

Strafen - Keine

Für die Richtigkeit _________ Major

2nd Convalescence Coy, Ersatz Bn IR138

served from 6.10.15 with the Company named in the adjacent column and will be released to the Colliery Zollverein in Caternberg from 10.8.17 in accordance with the order of Dept R 1  No. 3776/6218 of the Substitute GHQ XXI Army Corps from 31.7.17 .

Character -good

Punishments - Nil

for the accuracy ______ Major

 

 

Edited by charlie2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks gentlemen for those.

Error in his name noted, but I can't change the title!

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Photo 3

11. Kompagnie Infanterie Regiment von Horn (3.Rheinisches) Nr. 29

War vom 15.1.15 ab bei nebenstehenden Truppenteil und wurde am 19.1.15 bei Souain-Perthes durch Gewehr Geschoss rechte Hand verwundet. Dem Garnison Lazarett in Babenhausen (Hessen) überwiesen.

Gefechte: Stellungskämpfe in der Champagne 15.-19.1.15

Was with the adjacent notated unit from 15.1.15 and was wounded near Souain-Perthes in the right hand. Transferred to the Garrison Hospital in Babenhausen (Hessen).

Battles: Static Warfare in the Champagne 15th-19th Jan. 15

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could it be that you haven't put all pages here? There seem to be gaps...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Could it be that you haven't put all pages here? There seem to be gaps...

Scanned one badly! I'll continue when I get scanner access again and will fill in the gaps.

Thanks again.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Photo 4

Passnotiz für den Ersatz-Reservist Willy Huse hat infolge Mobilmachung vom 19. April 1915 bis 20. Juli 1915 bei der 9. Kompagnie, 3. Unter-Elsässisches Infanterie Regiment Nummer 138 gedient.

Ist am 20. Juli 1915 bei Augustow durch Gewehr Geschoss an linken Oberschenkeln verwundet.

Gefechte: 19-4.-20.7.15 Stellungskämpfe zwischen Augustow, Mariampol und Pilwitzki.

Your turn to translate and don‘t disappear this time like you did in another thread :D :)
Charlie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Your turn to translate and don‘t disappear this time like you did in another thread :D :)

Charlie

You're a hard taskmaster Charlie. 

That other thread "hasn't gone away you know :D", those letters are filed under "unfinished projects" and will be reappearing in due course.

The reason I haven't attempted this task is the writing is totally inscrutable to me. I still am in awe of your and AOK's deciphering powers.

Anyway translation is a doddle...

Pass for the ersatz reservist Willy Huse.  Served as a result of mobilization from April 19, 1915 to July 20, 1915 with the 9th Company, 3rd Lower Alsatian Infantry Regiment Number 138.

Was wounded in the left thigh by a rifle bullet near Augustow on July 20, 1915.

Battles: 19-4-20.7.15 Trench battles between Augustow, Mariampol and Pilwitzki.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, depaor01 said:

You're a hard taskmaster Charlie. 

That other thread "hasn't gone away you know :D", those letters are filed under "unfinished projects" and will be reappearing in due course.

The reason I haven't attempted this task is the writing is totally inscrutable to me. I still am in awe of your and AOK's deciphering powers.

Anyway translation is a doddle...

Pass for the ersatz reservist Willy Huse.  Served as a result of mobilization from April 19, 1915 to July 20, 1915 with the 9th Company, 3rd Lower Alsatian Infantry Regiment Number 138.

Was wounded in the left thigh by a rifle bullet near Augustow on July 20, 1915.

Battles: 19-4-20.7.15 Trench battles between Augustow, Mariampol and Pilwitzki.

You forgot his service in IR 29 and him being wounded in the Champagne in January 1915.

Anyway, there's also the photocard which shows him in the Ersatz-Bataillon of IR 29 (that should also be somewhere in his pass) and his time from January 1915 to April 1915 should be documented somewhere (probably in hospital?).

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AOK4 said:

You forgot his service in IR 29 and him being wounded in the Champagne in January 1915.

Anyway, there's also the photocard which shows him in the Ersatz-Bataillon of IR 29 (that should also be somewhere in his pass) and his time from January 1915 to April 1915 should be documented somewhere (probably in hospital?).

Jan

Not forgotten,  just haven't pieced it together. Champagne is one of the two words I could actually read!

Stand by lads

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Not forgotten,  just haven't pieced it together. Champagne is one of the two words I could actually read!

Stand by lads

Charlie has given you the transcription of the page:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Charlie has given you the transcription of the page:

 

Yes has all been noted. My point was the same one I made in post 3.

Edited by depaor01
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AOK4 said:

You forgot his service in IR 29 and him being wounded in the Champagne in January 1915.

Anyway, there's also the photocard which shows him in the Ersatz-Bataillon of IR 29 (that should also be somewhere in his pass) and his time from January 1915 to April 1915 should be documented somewhere (probably in hospital?).

Jan

Thanks for the postcard ID Jan.

Given the interest in this I'll post everything. @AOK4, here's the I.R. 29 entry you refer to.

From 20th January 1915 in Rez Lazarett Babenhausen until 1st April 1915 Transferred 14/4/1915 to J.R. 138

Conduct good, no punishments. (beginning to recognise this!)

Signed Kirchhof, Adjutant.

 

_img047copy.jpg.c4d1e8f7c7bbc8bfabed191c4560f3a9.jpg

...and mention of Gelsenkirchen in his entries for his time in the Convalescent Company:

_img048copy.jpg.8049960d8fb5404b1bf92fb6bb29bc6a.jpg

 

Edited by depaor01
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...