Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner John James “Jack” Longhurst - 109738, 155th heavy bty, royal garrison artillery

ykf519

looking for any information possible for this family member. mostly would like to know where exactly he all served and where he died. 

Gunner John James “Jack” Longhurst - 109738, 155th heavy bty, royal garrison artillery

born: december 2 1897

died: february 8 1917

burried in guillemont road cemetery: 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56045656/john-james-longhurst

we found “medal card” but doesnt really say much:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6544586

thanks in advance for any help

Jon

1 hour ago, ykf519 said:

looking for any information possible for this family member. mostly would like to know where exactly he all served and where he died. 

born: december 2 1897

died: february 8 1917

burried in guillemont road cemetery: 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56045656/john-james-longhurst

we found “medal card” but doesnt really say much:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6544586

thanks in advance for any help

Jon

Hi Jon.

Welcome to the forum.

John Longhurst first served with the Royal Army Medical Corps under regimental number 7430, embarking for France on the 27/08/14. John was posted to No.11 Stationary Hospital. John then transferred to the Royal Garrison Artillery on the 27/07/16. 

No.11 Stationary Hospital were based at Le Mans 09/14 to 10/14; Orleans briefly in 10/14 then St Omer 10/14 to 05/18.

I attach John's Medal Index Card, 1914 Medal Roll and Victory Medal and British War Medal Roll.

Gunner

Images courtesy of Ancestry.

42B288DF-5D05-44C2-B080-11801AF4CA0E.jpeg

D0F31139-318A-4F4D-ADC8-7167837C7747.jpeg

77A030F8-463D-4BD0-9813-F429901C8911.jpeg

The Lines of Communication Troops War Diary for No.11 Stationary Hospital between 1st August 1914 and 31st December 1915 can be found at the National Archives, free to download once registered, by searching this reference WO 95/4103/1 and 1916 For 1916 at WO 95/4103/2 (leave the gap between WO and 9) For some reason I couldn't copy the link. 

The War Diary for Third Army, Army Troops which includes the 155th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery between May 1916 and November 1917, is at reference WO 95/397/4n pages 30 to 97. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to cover February 1917.

Edited by Gunner 87

If you haven't already got this I attach John's entry in the Army Registers of Soldier's Effects.

Courtesy of Ancestry.

44DA9168-4354-4010-9F0B-C1B99C3FA187_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

These are the pension cards held by Fold3. The last records John 'Died of ounds'

Gunner

4156A29F-6FD4-49B8-B1C0-94459A741FDC.jpeg

4B9A9F4C-C8A5-4C18-9E41-1E9099736C71.jpeg

A0492610-F7A3-4A34-84DA-2975ABB2339E.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

thank you for the info! is there any way to see specific areas or tenches he was a gunner in? even if not on the day he died. i have come to learn there are trench maps and trench coordinates sometimes available, but i am struggling to put it all together

we are going to france where the grave is soon and we want to have any other points of interest lined up

155 East Cheshire Heavy Battery RGA

8 February 1917 position Ginchy - Morval Valley (Sheet 57c SW. T9a.)

Snow & Frost. Some neutralising. Hostile aeroplanes active.

10-11am 4.2 How shelled battery. Gnr’s Flatman, Storrier, Longhurst and Frost fatally wounded. Corp. Newton plus one slightly wounded.

Rgds Paul

3 minutes ago, ororkep said:

10-11am 4.2 How shelled battery. Gnr’s Flatman, Storrier, Longhurst and Frost fatally wounded. Corp. Newton plus one slightly wounded.

Rgds Paul

amazing!!! how the heck did you get this?!? where can i access the document that says this and that sheet? thank you!!

• Admin
12 minutes ago, ororkep said:

Gnr’s Flatman, Storrier, Longhurst and Frost fatally wounded

Whilst he was fatally wounded by this shellfire, it seems he survived long enough to have died of those wounds whilst in the care of No 60 Field Ambulance, whose War Diary you can consult here if you so wish (it won't name him but it will give you an appreciation of their activities):

60 Field Ambulance | The National Archives

Regards

Russ

22 minutes ago, ykf519 said:

amazing!!! how the heck did you get this?!? where can i access the document that says this and that sheet? thank you!!

From the 155 Siege Battery war diaries available from the National Archives free of charge after free registration. (image courtesy of the NA)

155 Siege Battery_8 Feb 1917.jpg

• Admin
55 minutes ago, ororkep said:

Gnr’s Flatman, Storrier, Longhurst and Frost fatally wounded.

Gunners 71332 Flatman, 91641 Storrier and 93109 Frost were all indeed killed in action by this shell fire on the same day and are all buried together in Guards' Cemetery Lesboeufs - whilst Longhurst is buried in Guillemont Road Military Cemetery as a result it seems of him dying of wounds.

Russ

3 minutes ago, RussT said:

Gunners 71332 Flatman, 91641 Storrier and 93109 Frost were all indeed killed in action by this shell fire on the same day and are all buried together in Guards' Cemetery Lesboeufs - whilst Longhurst is buried in Guillemont Road Cemetery as a result it seems of him dying of wounds.

Russ

wow! why is longhurst in a different cemetery? because the others died right away and he died later? 

• Admin
8 minutes ago, ykf519 said:

why is longhurst in a different cemetery? because the others died right away and he died later

The others appear to have been buried more or less where they were killed and were then later exhumed and brought into the Guards' Cemetery during a grave concentration exercise afterwards.

As I described, given that Longhurst was evidently "treated" by 60th Field Ambulance but died whilst with them on the same day as the others, his body was evidently taken elsewhere which eventually became Guillemont Road Military Cemetery.

Russ

53 minutes ago, ororkep said:

Rgds Paul

is this the correct map?

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4181

IMG_1868.png

is there a way to find a trench map from february 8, 1917 from area of “valley ginchy morval”. i an trying to pinpoint where the artlery strike was.

• Admin

If you look in CWGC for the 3 men who were KiA, you will find the map references where they were originally buried, which won't be a million miles from where they were killed and, by extension, where Longhurst was wounded.

You can then insert that map reference into TrenchMapper to bring up relevant trench maps to explore the general locality etc.

Russ 

43 minutes ago, RussT said:

If you look in CWGC for the 3 men who were KiA, you will find the map references where they were originally buried, which won't be a million miles from where they were killed and, by extension, where Longhurst was wounded.

You can then insert that map reference into TrenchMapper to bring up relevant trench maps to explore the general locality etc.

Russ 

im trying to find on cwgc but im not getting hits. do i use names or numbers?

• Admin
6 minutes ago, ykf519 said:

im trying to find on cwgc but im not getting hits. do i use names or numbers?

Just use the numbers - "less is more"

• Admin

Flatman was exhumed from 57c.T.15.b.5.6

Storrier and Frost were exhumed from 57c.T.14.a.0.6

When plotted, I get this - the right-most marker is for Flatman.

Don't know why they were buried some distance apart - of course we have been assuming they were killed/wounded at the same place - but the records do not actually say that - the battery was shelled so they might have been e.g. manning different guns.

Not the best of maps.

Russ

Burials.jpg

24 minutes ago, RussT said:

Don't know why they were buried some distance apart - of course we have been assuming they were killed/wounded at the same place - but the records do not actually say that - the battery was shelled so they might have been e.g. manning different guns.

Not the best of maps.

Russ

Burials.jpg

you are amazing

30 minutes ago, RussT said:

None of those links are working for me Allan.

Suggest the OP simply types in the numbers into CWGC - it can't be easier.

Russ

please forgive me , which numbers can i type into it?

• Admin

I gave them in an earlier post - here they are again ....

71332 for Flatman

91641 for Storrier

93109 for Frost

Regards

Russ

• Admin

Stick the number in the field as shown here.

You can populate all the other fields if you really want to but there is no need !

Russ

CWGCx.png

51 minutes ago, RussT said:

Not the best of maps.

Russ

Burials.jpg

now i just need to figure out the trench map for this area for february 8 1917

according to the 60 field ambulance diary (someone mentioned Longhurst was treated by this) looks like they moved to trones wood dressing station on february 4. if longhurst was treated by them on feb 8 i guess that is where he was treated and likely died? this is close to guillemont road cemetary so makes sense why he ended up there as opposed to the others.

IMG_1869.png

1 minute ago, RussT said:

Stick the number in the field as shown here.

You can populate all the other fields if you really want to but there is no need !

Russ

CWGCx.png

thanks again. im new to all this

anyone know where i can find a trench map that shows 57c.T.14.a.0.6 and 57c.T.15.b.5.6 that is from approx february 8 1917? if not for that date then one that just shows that location? i have been looking for two hours and cant find one for that date