Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut George Rendle 4th East Yorks KIA with 10th Batt memorial plot question

wulsten

Looking at this officer 2nd lieu George Rendle remembered on the Tyne Cot memorial who is recorded Kia with 4th Batt East Yorkshire, however at time of death prior to 1/10/18 he was attached to the 10th Battalion who were attacking the line at ploegsteert wood.

The exhumation record states cemetery for reburial the Stand  cemetery extension, map ref given for exhumation 36 b3 d 9.9. No remains found, would the cross found be a memorial cross made by comrades as similar in the article by Tom Tulloch-Marshall article wfa October 2022.

Do I have the map ref correct see photo and interestingly all othe officer killed in same action are buried in Nieppe British cemetery close by

doc2154709.JPG

[Armentières Salient].jpg

IMG_20240129_161548.jpg

Edited by wulsten

8 minutes ago, wulsten said:

No remains found, would the cross found be a memorial cross made by comrades as similar in the article by Tom Tulloch-Marshall article wfa October 2022.

Along with the note "MEMORIAL PLOT" ... That would be my interpretation.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Along with the note "MEMORIAL PLOT" ... That would be my interpretation.

M

Yes, both soldiers in the record have different map refs so although states memorial plot would these be isolated memorials

5 minutes ago, wulsten said:

both soldiers in the record have different map refs so although states memorial plot would these be isolated memorials

Hard to say as only RENDLE most clearly has "Memorial Plot" - but isolated memorials were not unknown and the COG rather reads as such given the different refs.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
tweak

17 minutes ago, wulsten said:

map ref given for exhumation 36 b3 d 9.9.

17 minutes ago, wulsten said:

Do I have the map ref correct

I am not familiar with the geography of the area but perhaps try 36.b.3.d.9.9 in TrenchMapper

Exhumation and intended reburial need not necessarily be close to each other

21 minutes ago, wulsten said:

The exhumation record states cemetery for reburial the Strand  cemetery extension

However as "No remains" found he is consequently commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/830506/george-rendle

M

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

I am not familiar with the geography of the area but perhaps try 36.b.3.d.9.9 in TrenchMapper

However as "No remains" found he is consequently commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/830506/george-rendle

M

It would make sense I suppose if George Rendle was not recovered after the action from 28th September having a memorial made as the other officer's have known graves

If you put the map reference 36.B.3.d.9.9 (with the original dots) into TrenchMapper, it gives Rue du Sac, very near the Maple Leaf BC cemetery as marked on ma_004470. To see that in TrenchMapper, right click, choose Map ID Jump with ma_004470.

That is annotated with cemeteries and is marked Sir Herbert Ellissen on the reverse. To see the relevance of that, see Help->Knowledge Centre->Body Density Maps.

Also see ma_000080. That does not have AAM or Sir Herbert Ellissen marked but shows cemeteries.

See also m_5_000758. That is marked AAM and shows his blue pencil markup as per the help page.

As these are 1:40,000 maps, to avoid TrenchMapper changing the map, pan in small amount. You can always jump back with 36.B.3.d.9.9.

Howard

Rue du Sac.jpg

Edited by Howard
Forgot the map

11 minutes ago, Howard said:

If you put the map reference 36.B.3.d.9.9 (with the original dots) into TrenchMapper, it gives Rue du Sac, very near the Maple Leaf BC cemetery as marked on ma_004470. To see that in TrenchMapper, right click, choose Map ID Jump with ma_004470.

That is annotated with cemeteries and is marked Sir Herbert Ellissen on the reverse. To see the relevance of that, see Help->Knowledge Centre->Body Density Maps.

Also see ma_000080. That does not have AAM or Sir Herbert Ellissen marked but shows cemeteries.

See also m_5_000758. That is marked AAM and shows his blue pencil markup as per the help page.

As these are 1:40,000 maps, to avoid TrenchMapper changing the map, pan in small amount. You can always jump back with 36.B.3.d.9.9.

Howard

23 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

M

It would make sense I suppose if George Rendle was not recovered after the action from 28th September having a memorial made as the other officer's have known graves

Howard, thanks for reply, I must admit I find trench mapper hard to navigate, however you have confirmed that the location on my photo from McMaster is correct