Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/Badge Identification

AndiW

I’m wondering if anyone can help identify regiments from uniforms? I’ve researched my family history and particularly those who served in WWI - I’ve now been passed some family photos but with no names. I’m hoping to try and identity who they are. Apologies that photos, obviously, are not great quality but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Photo 3.jpeg

Photo 4.jpeg

Photo 5.jpeg

Photo 6.jpeg

Photo 11.jpeg

Photo 10.jpeg

Hi @AndiW and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance you can post each one individually at the highest quality you can manage - that will maximise the chances of the forum uniform guru's being able to pick details out. Posted individually then the forum can handle attachments up to 14Mb in size. From a personal perspective if you could number them that would help make comparison easier as I believe you have pictures of the same individuals.

The man standing on the left as we look at it in your second picture and the subject of the first to me even with the low level of detail look facially to be the same

The third and fourth picture could also be the same - a lance corporal in the third and a corporal in the fourth.

The fifth amd sixth pictures could also be the same man - on his upper right arm in the sixth picture it looks like he is wearing the Red Cross of the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Cheers,
Peter

The top photo of the gentleman with the cross belt and riding spurs would suggest to me he is horse mounted - also he is wearing a white lanyard. This would point to me at either being Royal Horse Artillery or a horse mounted Artillery unit. Also a possibility of being in a Cavalry  unit also.

The man on the bottom is a medic or medic qualified and this suggest RAMC. Scan the photos in individually and the cap badges and other insignia may become apparent.

Best wishes 

Paul

1 hour ago, AndiW said:

Thank you - here are individually uploaded photos 

again not great quality 

Andi

IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5380.jpeg

IMG_5381.jpeg

1. Royal Army Medical Corps.  2. Royal Army Medical Corps and Royal Engineers.  3. No idea.  4.   Army Service Corps.       Pete.

3 hours ago, AndiW said:

Thank you - here are individually uploaded photos 

Andi,

Looks like we lost two - possibly you reached the overall size limits on your attachments to any one post.

Cheers,
Peter

Can I suggest we stcik with them in the order they were originally posted to try and minimise the opporunity for confusion. I've taken the liberty of numbering them in that order fpr ease of reference :)

Smallpicturepanelv1sourcedGWFownerAndiW.png.04d6661a21e7264b92d40504c1b10e65.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owner.

So where I believe we've got to so far is:-
Picture 1. Possibly the same as the man on the left in photo 2 @PRC
...................Horse mounted going from cross belt and spurs - possibly Royal Horse Artillery, horse drawn artillery or cavalry @C Coy 2 Royal Irish Rifles
...................(Hope I've understood this correctly) Not Royal Artillery but Royal Engineers in a mounted role @max7474
Picture 2. Possibly the same as the man in photo 1 @PRC
....................Royal Army Medical Corps and Royal Engineers @CorporalPunishment
Picture 3. Possibly the same as the man in photo 4 @PRC
Picture 4. Possibly the same as the man in photo 3 @PRC
...................Army Service Corps @CorporalPunishment
Picture 5. Possibly the same as the man in photo 6. @PRC
...................Royal Army Medical Corps @CorporalPunishment
Picture 6. Possibly the same as the man in photo 5 and wearing the Royal Army Medical Corps Red Cross on his upper right sleeve. @PRC
....................Medic or medically qualified. Suggests RAMC. @C Coy 2 Royal Irish Rifles

Here's the bigger version of Picture 5 with the RAMC capbadge for comparison.

Picture5withRAMCcapbadgeandRedCrossindicatorv1.png.c165ef6014dd18c039f08e445a52a23e.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owner.

@AndiW - if we can have the higher resolution versions of pictures 1 and 6 it might be possible to have a good stab at working out if some of them are the same individuals, which in turn may help with identifying units.

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you for all your help - I’m definitely not tech savvy but will try and look at the original photos to see if I can id same person. Unfortunately I’ve been called away on a family emergency so won’t be home until Monday. I really appreciate everyone’s help and input 

@AndiW

Hope things go ok.

I had wondered of picture 3 and 4 were the same man, but with the bigger pictures to go on I'm not so sure. A lot in common, and much of the difference can be explained by angle and that one is relaxed and the other a more formal portrait but earshape, both inner and outer, casuses me to have doubts. And unless the man in picture 3 suffered damage to his left ear and picture 3 was taken later, then not the same person.

Picture3and4headcropcomparisonv1.png.ed60df96836ad2c00e4d2f02d170c707.png

Cheers,
Peter

32 minutes ago, PRC said:

@AndiW

Hope things go ok.

I had wondered of picture 3 and 4 were the same man, but with the bigger pictures to go on I'm not so sure. A lot in common, and much of the difference can be explained by angle and that one is relaxed and the other a more formal portrait but earshape, both inner and outer, casuses me to have doubts. And unless the man in picture 3 suffered damage to his left ear and picture 3 was taken later, then not the same person.

Picture3and4headcropcomparisonv1.png.ed60df96836ad2c00e4d2f02d170c707.png

Cheers,
Peter

I think your instincts were right Peter and that 4 is just a more mature 3 after seeing some service.  He appears to be ASC and wearing collar badges.  They were one of the support corps one occasionally sees wearing collar insignia before it was officially approved for the whole army circa 1922/24.  He has the same pointed chin, nose, mouth and eye sockets, and the ear aspect looks to be just because his head is turned.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 27/01/2024 at 11:27, FROGSMILE said:

I think your instincts were right Peter and that 4 is just a more mature 3 after seeing some service.  He appears to be ASC and wearing collar badges.  They were one of the support corps one occasionally sees wearing collar insignia before it was officially approved for the whole army circa 1922/24.  He has the same pointed chin, nose, mouth and eye sockets, and the ear aspect looks to be just because his head is turned.

Hello and thanks for all your help and advice

Having looked at the original photos, I probably agree

Picture 1 and Picture 2 obviously have the same gentleman (possibly with brother and sister?)

Picture 3 and 4 could be the same gentleman after a  few years service in 4

Picture 5 and 6 are the same gentleman

I also had a further photo which actually had a name on the back so I have been able to find him within the family tree so with the information you've given me I am going to look on the records for that side of the family to see if I can find matches with regiments.  It would be one step nearer to identifying them.

Thank you for all your help and if I find out more I'll let you know

Andrea

PS here is the family member I was able to research.  He was Pte Thomas Ayrton, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Service No 15319.  He was the adopted son of my Great Grand Aunt and lived on Sheffield Road, Barnsley in 1911 working as a Pump Tenter at the Colliery.  He was killed in action on 27th February 1916 in France and is commemorated at the Loos Memorial Panel 46 - 49. I also found a report relating to his death - if anyone can provide any further insight into this incident, that would be appreciated. image.jpeg.5e693ca4f547efc38b94994e6f10b751.jpegimage.jpeg.226241ad55c33abf98d1712fda7725be.jpeg