Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happens to

qahtan

What happens to all the old medals like my fathers Albert Medal that is in the Guards Museum in Birdcage Walk London UK. he died in 1943.

Had my Father been alive a few years back he could have changed the Albert Medal for the George Cross, or so I understand.

What would have happened to the Albert Medal had my Father done this. his name and number are on the back of the Albert Medal. Curious. thanks....... qahtan

Any one know the value of the Albert Medal.?????

Though the statutes for the George Cross stated that awards such as AM,King Edwards Medal for Mines/Industry,EGM,Etc were to be exchanged for the GC,In effect very few were actually physically returned,the GC was presented & The recipients names included on the GC rolls & The Nominal Letters Exchanged for GC,Most However hung onto their original award & such groups are sometimes seen with both awards included.

The Value of the Albert Medal,would depend on the Class[Gold Or Bronze] & The Citation [Obviously those with a Military Connection & therefore other Medals in tow,would command a premium over a Solitary Civilian award from Peace time,One For the R101 Disaster would have a "Value" far in excess of a"Normal" Life Saving action} As a Starting Value I would suggest somewhere around £3000,obviously spiralling as the Details become apparent

Thank you for the information.

My Fathers AM was in bronze, and was awarded for saving lives from an burning amunitions truck in France. There are also 3 other medals, plus I have his Old Contemptables lapel pin. qahtan

What happens to all the old medals like  my fathers Albert Medal  that is in the Guards Museum in Birdcage Walk London UK. he died in 1943.

Had my Father been alive a few years back he could have changed the Albert Medal for the George Cross, or so I understand.

What would have happened to the Albert Medal had my Father done this. his name and number are on the back of the Albert Medal. Curious. thanks....... qahtan 

Any one know the value of the Albert Medal.?????

Obviously with such a good pedigree you would have{or have had} a very nice Military Albert Medal,in a Group,I would expect an Auction Estimate to be somewhere around the £4000 Mark,similarly an insurance figure of @ least half as much again,but with such rare items it would be a Sellers Market with no doubt a number of interested parties jostling to own such a rare group

Thank you, now if I had the Medals I would keep it as I now have two Grandsons.

But the medals are now in the Museum in London, when times were tough Dad pawned them, and the Guards retrieved them before WW11.

I did about 10 years ago ask the Guards if there was any chance that I could have the medals and they kindly said that they would prefer them to stay with the Guards where they could be seen by all. So that was that, but is nice to know about them, I do have a set of miniatures of them. qahtan

Whitehall, August 28, 1918.

The KING has been pleased to award the

Albert Medal in each of the following cases in

recognition of gallantry displayed in saving

or endeavouring to save life:—

Private James Dunn, Cbldstream Guards.

At a railhead in France, on the evening of

the 12th June, 1918, several trucks loaded

with heavy ammunition caught fire, causing an

explosion. (Several men were wounded, and

some lay underneath the burning trucks. Dunn

at once rushed forward, regardless of his own

safety, and carried two of the wounded men

to a shelter trench close by, where he rendered

them first aid. He then returned to the assistance

of the other wounded men, when a second

explosion took place. Notwithstanding this,

and also the very grave danger of further explosions,

he continued to assist the wounded

and to help to rescue those who were lying

helpless under the burning trucks. His

bravery, coolness and prompt action undoubtedly

saved several men from being burned

to death.

Whitehall, August 28, 1918.

uote=qahtan,Apr 18 2005, 07:23 PM]

Thank you for the information.

My Fathers AM was in bronze, and was awarded for saving lives from an burning amunitions truck in France. There are also 3 other medals, plus I have his Old Contemptables lapel pin. qahtan