Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

mordac

Hi Garth,

Thanks very much for all the information - much more than I expected.

When I have had time to fit it all into my database I will reply properly with the information that I know about all these people.

Regards Ken.

Hi Ken:

Just had a quick look at the nominal roll for the 16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish). There are 22 McKay/MacKay's listed. I guess that's not surprising. ;)

The 13th Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada) honour roll, which list those KIA or missing, have four on their list.

Garth

Hi Garth,

I am aware of all 5 in the 13th Battalion but only 9 of the 16th Battalion.

Could you please give details of the 16th Battalion men.

Regards Ken.

When I have had time to fit it all into my database I will reply properly with the information that I know about all these people.

Hi Garth,

Regarding the P.P.C.L.I. Men you gave me, here is some information for you.

Pte 14 John Mckay Died of Pneumonia in Hospital In Quebec 13/09/14. He was born in England in Hackney, London.

Cpl 579 Later Lt. Mackay Mackay (yes this is his correct name I looked him up on the Scottish Births pay for view website). He was wounded 28/04/15 (Newspaper Date) and Died of wounds 27/08/18. He was born in Scotland in Melness, Tongue, Sutherland.

884 Pte Neil Mackay Wounded 08/05/15. Transferred to Canadian Army Medical Corps.

1735 & 21647 Thomas & James Mckay are new to me and I have no other Information on them.

51321 Pte Daniel Joseph Mackay was wounded 06/05/15 and discharged soon after.

104435 Pte Malcolm Angus Mckay was aslo new to me.

105762 Cpl David William Mckay was wounded 15/09/16 & 27/09/18.

411110 Pte Walter Mckay was also new to me.

475927 Pte James Edward Mackay was promoted to 2/LT. Ox & Bucks Light Infantry 26/01/16. Later Captain. Was Mentioned in Despatches 30/05/18. Was awarded Italian Silver medal for Gallantry 29/11/18. and Military Cross 01/01/19, He was born in Ontario.

769531 Pte Thomas Mackay was K.I.A. 30/09/18. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland.

I hope the above is of some interest to you, and again the info you gave me was much appreciated.

Regards Ken.

Hi I am looking for any information on that i might be able to find on my grandfather - Robert Clarke Rowland Reg #411127. I know he was with the PPCLI at some point during the early part of the war and that he won his Military Cross with the 44th Bn., Manitoba Regiment and then won his second Military Cross east of Inchy on or about September 27th, 1918 again while with the 44th Bn but this time they were attached to the New Brunswick Regiment.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting, from his attestation here, it looks like he served 9 months with PPCLI in 1915. But his number would indicate enlistment into 38th Royal Ottawa Battalion, as a Captain. Then he enlisted again into 160th Overseas in 1916, as a Lieutenant. Hmmm . . .

If you haven't already, you should order his service papers from the National Archives of Canada, here

You can also read the 44th Battalion War Diaries online, here

Have fun! Welcome to the Forum!

Peter in Vancouver

Hi I am looking for any information on that i might be able to find on my grandfather - Robert Clarke Rowland Reg #411127.

Hi Rhr01:

Welcome to the forum. :D Here's your grandfather's record with the PPCLI:

411127 Pte. Robert Clarke Rowland

Original Unit - 1st University Company (38th Battalion Draft)

Joined PPCLI in the field - July 28, 1915

Struck off strength - February 14, 1916

Subsequent service - Lieutenant, CEF

Garth

Could you please give details of the 16th Battalion men.

Hi Ken:

I'll have something for you on the 16th Battalion McKay/MacKay's in a couple of days. Also came across 14 men from your clan in the 44th Battalion, 5 in the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifle, and 9 in the 102nd nominal rolls. Have you got these guys in your database?

Garth

Also came across 14 men from your clan in the 44th Battalion, 5 in the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifle, and 9 in the 102nd nominal rolls. Have you got these guys in your database?

Hi Garth,

Regarding the 44th Battalion I am aware of 2 men with the numbers 229409 & 234451.

The 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles 1 Officer (Captain Donald Roy Mackay).

The 102nd Battalion 2 men with the numbers 249330 & 703620.

Any information on any of the others would be most welcome.

Regards Ken.

I know he was with the PPCLI at some point during the early part of the war and that he won his Military Cross with the 44th Bn., Manitoba Regiment and then won his second Military Cross east of Inchy on or about September 27th, 1918 again while with the 44th Bn but this time they were attached to the New Brunswick Regiment.

Hi Rhr01:

Sorry, I was asleep at the switch last night when I posted the PPCLi information about your grandfather. I also have the 44th Battalion's official history. Here's your grandfather's record with the 44th Battalion:

411127 Captain Robert Clarke Rowland

Original unit - 38th Battalion

Disposition - demobilized August 26, 1919

Theatre of service - France

His Military Cross and bar are mentioned in the 'Honors And Award' section, however no details or dates are provided. If you can provide me with some dates for these awards I'll look through the history and see if I can provide you with additional information.

Garth

Any information on any of the others would be most welcome.

Hi Ken:

OK, I'll collect the information on your men and post them the 'Mackay/Mckay' thread you started in:

The soldiers and armies of the Great War -> Soldiers -> Mackay / Mckay, Medal Index Cards

Garth

P.S. - Does this mean I'll receive membership in the clan McKay with full clan privileges? :lol:

Garth, thanks for the info!

I have an old photcopy from his record of service (dated 1931) that shows the Military Cross was Gazzetted on 2-12-18 and it states that the award was for conspicuous gallantry and determination in an attack on a village capturing 3 machine guns and inflicting heavey casualities on the enemy before being driven back by artillery fire. - It doesn't say what date or what village.

The Bar was Gazzetted on 15-2-19 and indicates that it was awarded for action "while leading his company" east of Inchy on September 27th, 1918 during which he was wounded and sent out but he returned at Sailly the next day bringing 6 pack mules loaded with ammunition through a heavy barrage.

That's about the only info I know, I also have his medals, a couple of his cap badges and insignia, a framed picture of him in his PPCLI uniform, his sword/scabard/Sam Brown and a couple of other momentos - but not a lot of detail about his actual life in the service - where, when, etc.

Where did you get the info on the 44th's officail history? Again all and any help/info is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Where did you get the info on the 44th's officail history? Again all and any help/info is greatly appreciated.

Hi Bob:

The book is 'Six Thousand Canadian Men: Being the History of The 44th Battalion Canadian Infantry 1914-1919' compiled and edited by E. S. Russenholt, printed by De Montfort Press, Winnipeg, 1932.

I spent some time going through the history for 1918 and found a couple of references about your grandfather. None pertaining to his Military Cross and bar. The first is September 25, 1918 (Canal du Nord) on page 186.

Garth

post-16-1077129397.jpg

Hi Bob:

The second is September 27, 1918 (Bourlon Wood, were your grandfather is wounded) on pages 190 and 191. I've combined the two pages.

You might want to follow the links in Broz's post and check the war diary for the 44th and order your grandfather's service records from the National Archives of Canada. I know you mentioned you have copies of his records obtained in 1931, but you might want spend the $20 and see if you can obtain further information.

Garth

post-16-1077093882.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Desmond6

SGT John McDowell who is in the machine gun coy. of the PPCLI Canadian Contingent is at present home on a short visit to his family who live at Kinhilt Street, Ballymena. For bravery in the field in the recent heavy engagement at Ypres in which the Canadians took part he has been recommended for the DCM and was granted special leave.

His brother, Private Hugh mcDowell of the R.Innisk. Fus. Ulster Division died from wounds recently in a French hospital.

Hope this is of some use .. did he ever get his DCM?

From files of Ballymena Observer June 23, 1916.

Hi Des:

Sgt. McDowell isn't listed in the PPCLI's nominal roll and he isn't listed in 'Mentioned in Despatches of the C.E.F.'

Doing a quick search of the National Archives of Canada's database, there are two McDowell's who might fit the date and country of birth profile:

441197 John McDowell (53rd Bn.) from Bond Bridge, Ireland. His attestation papers are here.

201434 William John McDowell (95th Bn.) from Straid, Antrim, Ireland. His attestation papers are here.

A complete NAC list with the name John McDowell can be found here.

Garth

Hi Des:

Do you know that old saying, never assume? Well, I assumed John McDowell remained a sergeant. Checking the PPCLI officer nominal roll there he is:

Name - McDowell, J. C.

Regimental number - 411155

Original Overseas unit - 1st University Company

Joined the PPCLI in the field - July 17, 1915

Regimental Record - Pte.—Sgt. (attached 7th Brigade Machine Gun Company), Lieutenant September 10, 1916 and seconded, Struck off service to Canadian Machine Gun Corps June 30, 1917, M.M.

From the National Archive of Canada:

Name - McDowell, John Chambers

Regimental number - A11155

Date of birth - September 27, 1892

Date of enlistment - May 27, 1915

NOK - Maggie McDowell (1 Windsor Ter., Ballymena, Ireland)

Check his attestation papers here.

It looks like he didn't get his DCM, but a MM instead.

Note - John McDowell enlisted with the 1st University Company and their block of regimental numbers was originally A10001 to A12000. These numbers were later changed to 410001 to 412000.

Garth

Guest Desmond6

Altogether now .... we love you Mordac, we do ....

Compiling all canuck pics from paper for you.

Once again ... well done

• 9 months later...

Dear Garth, We are looking for any info on our great uncle Sergeant John Macdonald , He was in the ppcli the Eastern Ontario Regiment and was a piper. He was killed in action on 17 sept 1916 and buried in Contay British Cemetery France.His service no was 860 and was awarded the D C M medal.Would you be able to look up ANY DETAILS OF HIS DEATH WHY AND WHEN he was awarded the medal ? hE WAS IN THE bOAR war 1899-1902 H e came from North Uist in the outer hebrides Scotland . Also any other facts you find out about him. If you need any more info please ask Yours sincerly Dave and Teresa Oliver

Dear Garth, We are looking for any info on our great uncle Sergeant John Macdonald , He was in the ppcli the Eastern Ontario Regiment and was a piper. He was killed in action on 17 sept 1916 and buried in Contay British Cemetery France.His service no was 860 and was awarded the D C M medal.Would you be able to look up ANY DETAILS OF HIS DEATH WHY AND WHEN he was awarded the medal ? hE WAS IN THE bOAR war 1899-1902 H e came from North Uist in the outer hebrides Scotland . Also any other facts you find out about him. If you need any more info please ask Yours sincerly Dave and Teresa Oliver

Dave and Teresa, Garth has retired from this Forum.

Try www.cefresearch.com

There are some PPCLI experts there.

• 18 years later...

On 23/12/2004 at 13:08, Guest Hootsmon said:

I have details you may be missing. PM me.

Edited by CPSH

CPSH: "Guest Hootsmon" posted 19 years ago, and the "Guest" in his forum name indicates that he is no longer an active member of the GWF.

15 hours ago, Moonraker said:

CPSH: "Guest Hootsmon" posted 19 years ago, and the "Guest" in his forum name indicates that he is no longer an active member of the GWF.

Ya I figured that was likely the case, but wanted to take a shot anyways. I've been researching the same gentlemen. Not related, save for regimental type history.