Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Battaliuon Royal Rifle Corps

draperju

Does anyone have access to the Battalion Diary for the 16 Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

I am looking into the circumstances of the death of Rifleman Percy Scott Milburm who died 2nd December 1917 and is buried in Passchendaele New British Cemetery.

Thanks

Draperju

Hi Draperju

I have the diary but as your bloke is an 'other rank' the likelihood of him getting a mention is remote, usually only officers were named. Also was he KIA or wounded on a day prior to his death? In the meantime I will look up what was happening around that date. As the diaries are at home and I am at work it will have to wait 'till this evening.

Bob

Hello mate, is your relative an original Church Lads Brigade lad as I have recently aquired a few photographs of other ranks in this Battalion. Let me know his service number and when I get a minute I will have a look. I am currently doing some research into a couple of soldiers in the 16th KRRC and will copy the war diary extract for the period if you need it.

Clive

Hi Clive, not sure if you are talking to me or Draperju. If its me I have the diary but I would like the photos. My Dad was CLB through and through enlisted Oct 1914 and one of the four originals demobbed in 1919. See my signature for his details. Have you seen the two threads running in the 'Soldiers' forum about the 16th? There are a number of photos posted there.

Hi Draperju

Attached is part of diary covering 7 Nov to 11 Dec 1917. I have had a check and the battalion was certainly in the line around the end of Nov to 2 Dec but no mention of KIA names, not even officers at this stage. At least you will be able to get an idea what was going on at the time. Do you know if he was in A Company as they seemed to bear the brunt of casualties at this time.

Bob

Just tried to attach the attachment, didn't do it, it must be too big. Let me know and I will send it to your e-mail address.

• 2 months later...

Would be interested to know if Rfn Henry Clare C/319 is amongst the photos and if anybody has the Btn War Diary covering 14-20 May 1916 when he was wounded. Might add some light on the circumstances.

Thanks

Mike, send me your e-mail address and I will send the relevant part of the diary. I suppose you realise that other ranks were hardly ever mentioned by name in the diary. It does however give a good idea what was happening at any given time.

Cheers

Bob

Bob, Thanks for the detail. Spot on. Rifleman Clare is actually named as one of the 5 wounded in a raiding party on 15th May 16. Will get back to you with the 10th Btn stuff and some pictures when I am back in UK next week. Also will sort that research for you.

Best regards

Mike

I am wodering if anyone has a picture of A/200268 Rfn Arthur Edward GAINS M.I.A. 12 October 1918.

Regards

John