Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Units in the War 1914-1919

GrandsonMichael

Hi Sue,

Sorry for the delay, I've been on holiday.

PM me your email address and I will send you the scanned pictures of the 11th Bn. men. There is no personal mention of your great-grandfather in the Burrows' book I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Michael

Many thanks for the pictures. Having recently read Capt V M Lunnon's account of the 11 Essex's training in Philip Warner's book on Loos, it's fascinating to see pictures of the Shoreham camp, the miniature rifle range & bombing training that he describes.

At the risk of pushing my luck, can I ask how much of the book deals with the 11th Essex? Is it too much of an 'ask' to scan the whole section? :unsure:

Sue

No problem Sue,

I'll contact you tomorrow.

Cheers,

Michael

• 1 month later...

I live in Western Australia, so not able to get into the archives etc for information. I am researching members of my wife's ancestry, the Harlocks. They are brothers (sons of William and Emma Harlock). They are (1) Henry John William Harlock, a Corporal in the RFA. (2) Herbert George Harlock a Private in the 4th and 3rd Essex Regiment and (3) Victor Stanley Harlock Private 5998231 1st Battn Essex Regiment. Victor is the one I am interested in obtaining information about. I know that Victor was in the 1st Battn Essex Regiment, as Herbert's papers contain a letter from the medals office to the CO of 1st Essex Regiment that Victor, being the brother of herbert had written to them asking that his brother be issued with a medal in 1925, so it is likely that Victor joined after WW1.

Can you please tell me where I can write, or look, to obtain details of Victor, his regimental history etc? Victor was born in 1903 in Beacontree Heath, Essex.

post-50293-1258561882.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Colin,

Sorry for this late reaction to your posting, I’ve been digging but haven’t come up with any information.

. I know that Victor was in the 1st Battn Essex Regiment, as Herbert's papers contain a letter from the medals office to the CO of 1st Essex Regiment that Victor, being the brother of herbert had written to them asking that his brother be issued with a medal in 1925, so it is likely that Victor joined after WW1. [unquote]

That is possible I suppose. But the Territorial Force War Medal was issued in 1920 so this inquiry was quite late, but perhaps his brother Victor only just heard of its existence. I’m afraid that I don’t have much information on the 1st Battalion The Essex Regiment during the post war period, other than that it served in Ireland in 1920/1921 and after that in England.

You could ask Ian Hook of the Essex Regimental Museum. You can reach him here: pompadour@chelmsford.gov.uk.

He might be able to tell you where the service record of Victor is kept, I think it might be with the Ministry of Defence. He might also have more specific information about the post war period.

Cheers,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Michael,

Could I request a look up & a posting of any information of interest please?

In volume 1, is there any mention of 18222. Pte. G Snell (George Ernest)? He served with the 1st Battalion from late 1915 (Egypt) until early 1919 (France/Germany). He was wounded twice (once in 1916 & again in 1917). His story as we know it so far is in the soldiers section of this forum. We are missing his War Service Record & a photo of him in uniform but hoping still to find these......... perhaps with your help?

Thank you. :D

Clive

Hi Clive,

Sorry, there is no mention of Pte. Snell in the official history of the 1st Bn. The Essex Regiment by Burrows.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for looking Michael.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Michael

Could i trouble you for any extra info on this chap please

BRIDGMAN, Gunner Arthur Henry.

Enlisted: London

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Husband of Kate. E. Bridgman (Nee Selwood who was born in Purton 1893, known as Kit), of 19, Queen's Rd., Kingston-on-Thames (Married 1914). Son of Mrs. Bridgman, of Kingston-on-Thames.

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

51323 "C" Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.

41738 9th (Service) Battalion, Essex Regiment.

British War Medal, Victory Medal.

Death / Burial / Memorial details.

Died of wounds received in France aged 27 on the 12th April 1917. Buried in DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN, Grave Reference: III. E. 24 (Pas de Calais, France).

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: Married to Purton Native. Name appears on a headstone in St Mary’s Churchyard, Purton. He is remembered on the headstone of John and Elizabeth Kate Selwood.

Best regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

I can find no mention of your man in Burrows, Volume 6, in which he writes about the 9th Bn. The Essex Regiment. Nor in the War Diaries of 1917. Neither are any casualties mentioned for the April 12, 1917. I wonder if he was wounded during the action on the 9th and 10th April 1917 and died of wounds on the 12th?

From the War Diary:

9th (S) Bn The Essex Regt War Diary

Report of Action

on 9th and 10th April 1917 against Germans

at FEUCHY CHAPEL

________

Reference Maps. Sheet 51b N.W. and S.W. and TILLOY 1/10,000.

At 2.40 A.M. on 9th the Battalion left the MUSEUM, ARRAS and proceeded overland as far as the entrance to the Tunnel at the PORT DE FER. The original plan that the Battalion should be clear of the exit of the Tunnel in BROAD WALK by ZERO - 10 minutes could not be carried out owing to troo congestion of troops of the 36th and 37th Brigades in the O.B. Trenches. Progress through the Tunnel proved to be much quicker than was expected, and the men were able halt for 1½ hours in LONDON CAVE before entering the O.B. lines. At ZERO the Battalion left the CAVE and took up the allotted positions, the two leading Companies being in the Front Line and "I" Trench. the other two Companies in the Support Line and INK Trench. These positions were reached with hardly any casualties, and the men were then accommodated in dugouts. The enemy barrage at this period was weak.

At 10.20 A.M. the Battalion moved forward to the Advanced Attack. , the 7th Bn Suffolk Regt on our right and the 5th Royal Berks Regt on our Left.

Movement was carried out in Artillery Formation until the line drawn between Point 37 (HENLEY LANE) and Point 40 (HAVANT LANE) was reached . Here the Battalion came under fairly heavy Machine Gun fire from HOTTE WORK and also from the direction of TILLOY, and the leading Companies extended. Shortly afterwards our advance was held up, and the men sought cover in shell holes. Owing to HOTTE WORK remaining in the enemy's hands our advance was in danger of being held up for a considerable time. 2" Trench Mortars were brought up by 37th Brigade, but before these guns could be brought into action, 2nd Lieut BARKER [inserted: of this Battalion] had led his platoon round to a flank and after throwing a few bombs had captured the garrison which numbered about 30.

Our advance then continued uninterruptedly until OBSERVATION RIDGE was gained.

Progress down the Eastern slopes of OBSERVATION RIDGE was somewhat slower owing to point blank fire from hostile guns in BATTERY VALLEY, but Lewis Guns were brought to bear on those guns which were active and gradually the advance went forward and finally captured nine 77 m.m guns with the remaining members of their crews left alive.

In BATTERY VALLEY progress continued to be slow some time – owing to our own barrage not having lifted in all places and also owing to fairly intense Machine Gun fire from the FEUCHY – WANCOURT LINE. Companies had become somewhat disorganised and touch lost in some cases.

C Coy under 2 Lieut F.C.W. BROWN with its right on the CAMBRAI ROAD was in touch with the 7th SUFFOLK REGT on the right. This Company advanced (together with about 1 Platoon D Company) by short rushes until dead ground was reached about POINT 05.

There the Company halted and reorganized before continuing to advance by short rushes. This Company did most excellent work and captured the FEUCHY CHAPEL REDOUBT without any support at all.

A Coy had become very reduced in numbers owing to many men having become separated from their Company. This Company with a few men from D Coy entered TILLOY LANE and worked up the trench as far as the FEUCHY CHAPEL ROAD. Here it was found that the Germans had commenced a tunnel under the road, and after several casualties had occurred to men who had attempted to cross the road in the open, further progress down the trench was delayed until a passage through the Tunnel had been made

2nd Lieut PETERS then led a bombing attack up the trench , but could get no further than the edge of the enemy's wire and after his party had suffered heavy casualties and he himself had been wounded, he was forced to retire and erected a bomb-stop about 50 ' from the enemy wire. Much good work was done here by individual snipers and Lewis Gunners.

B Company on the left and in touch with the 5th Bn Royal BERKS REGT had found it extremely difficult to advance from BATTERY VALLEY owing to enemy sniper and Machine Guns. They were finally reinforced by 2 Platoons D Company but were unable to advance much beyond a line 100' W of the CHAPEL ROAD

It was then about 5 o'clock. About 6.30 the leading Battn of the 37th DIVISION (8th Bn E. LANCS REGT) came up to us, but owing to the almost untouched state of the wire in front of the Enemy Front Line, no further action was attempted before dark.

Shortly after dark Companies reorganized, took up defensive positions and Cab the ground won. About midday on the 10th operations were resumed. The Battalion attacked on the front from CAMBRAI ROAD to TRACK at POINT 5H, the 7th Bn. NORFOLK REGT on our left and the 5th Bn ROYAL BERKS cooperating by an attack from the NORTH.

The wire Enemy wire still being almost undamaged an attack over the top was impossible, but bombing attacks up the communication trenches were completely successful and the enemy front & support trenches were occupied with but few casualties.

About 80 prisoners were taken by the Battalion during the course of the two days operations.

Our casualties were slight and were as follows.

Killed 1 Officer 32 Other Ranks

Died of Wounds - 5 ,, ,,

Wounded 2 ,, 124 ,, ,,

Wounded at duty 2 ,, __ ,, ,,

Missing __ ,, 2 ,, ,,

Total 5 Officers 161 Other ranks

G.A.L. Graham Lieut

a/Adjt. 9 Essex Regt

Cheers,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michael

I'm new to this forum (and a complete novice on researching the Great War). Hope that I'm respecting the protocol of this board by wondering if I may draw your attention to another thread.

I wondered if you could possibly help me with the location of the 2nd bn Essex Regiment in April/May 1915 and November/December 1918, please?

My great uncle, Harry Mead, served in the 1st Essex pre-war and in the 2nd Essex during the war. He is the topic of my post at

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=140617

but I've summarised the details of that thread below...

According to the 1911 census, my Walthamstow-born great uncle Henry ("Harry") Mead was a 23-year-old telegraphist in "B" Company of the 1st Bn. Essex Regiment, White Barracks, Quetta, Baluchistan, India under the command of Major General Sclater (Captain George Newcombe Algernon Wood, Lieutenant Frederick Arthur Hamilton, Lieutenant James Fenton).

Sometime later he transferred to the 2nd E.R. I believe that he could be 'Private 8417 H. Mead'

8417 Mead transferred to Class B reserve from 2nd Essex on 8th February 1914. He landed in France on 24 March 1915 and served as a reinforcement with the 2nd Essex. He was reported wounded twice during the war: on 15th October 1915* in the Essex Chronicle and on 6th December 1918 in the War Office Weekly List.

*The 15th October lists was an amalgamated list of 2nd Essex men who had been wounded in April and May 1915 but not previously reported.

I was just trying to build up a picture of where he may have been at the time.

Thanks so much for your help.

Bob

If you care to PM me your e-mail address I will gladly send you copies of the war diaries for the months you mention.

Sure Michael will add Burrows info whan he gets a mo. He has also transcribed the 2nd Diaries so will probably add those too !!!!

Glyn

Bob

If you care to PM me your e-mail address I will gladly send you copies of the war diaries for the months you mention.

Sure Michael will add Burrows info whan he gets a mo. He has also transcribed the 2nd Diaries so will probably add those too !!!!

Glyn

Appreciate that very much. It will be a fascinating read.

I can't PM! I keep getting the message "You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board" whenever I click on a member's name. I've emailed board admin about it.

In the meantime, I've put my email address in this post

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t&p=1342171

Hope that I'm allowed to do that.

Cheers!

One more post and you will be able to pm away to your heart's content Bob.

Hi Bob,

Re the War Diary of the 2nd Bn. The Essex Regiment, here are the relevant entries:

Thu., Apr 1, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Relieved in the trenches by the Monmouths.

Casualties 1 Killed: Arthur Walter Petchey.

--- signed L.O.W. Jones, Capt commanding 2/ Battn The Essex Rgt

Fri., Apr 2, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Sat., Apr 3, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Sun., Apr 4, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Mon., Apr 5, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

3.15 p.m.

Some houses at the back of “A” Coys’ billets were shelled, 2 cows being slightly wounded.

Releived Monmouths in the trenches in the evening. A quiet but wet relief.

Casualties NIL

Tue., Apr 6, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Very quiet but the wet hindered the work on the new left communication trench.

Casualties 2 Killed

1 Wounded

Wed., Apr 7, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

5 pm

Very quiet but wet. The German artillery sent over some few rounds at nothing in particular and our field guns replied. Pechell bridged the WARNAVE.

Casualties

2 Killed, 1 wounded

Thu., Apr 8, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

A very quiet day on the whole; though the German artillery was active in the afternoon they did not shell our trenches. Capt Binsteed was killed while looking out at the observation hole half way up the back wall of Central Farm.

Casualties NIL

Fri., Apr 9, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

8.30 AM

We exploded a mine near a German barricade at Le TOUQUET opposite the Lancs. Fus. while our artillery shelled the houses and trenches. The Monmouths relieved us in the trenches. The left communication trench through to the LRB trenches.

Casualties

2 Killed, 2 wounded

Sat., Apr 10, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Sun., Apr 11, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets. Lieut A.E. Maitland rejoined from hospital.

Mon., Apr 12, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Tue., Apr 13, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Relieved Monmouths in the trenches by daylight for the first time since the original communication trenches were flooded. A quiet relief by [but] later the Germans were firing more than usual, and a few rounds were fired by field guns.

Casualties

NIL

Wed., Apr 14, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

A quiet day.

Casualties

1 wounded

Thu., Apr 15, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Fairly quiet but a little more sniping. Some Germans were seen from Central Farm to be digging in a shallow trench behind their front line. The artillery were informed and fired a few rounds at them we hope with good effect.

Casualties 2 wounded

Fri., Apr 16, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Not very much sniping but the Germans sent over about 30 grenades in the afternoon, and 1 or 2 unlucky shots caused us [crossed out: the] 10 casualties, 3 killed and 7 wounded.

We replied with rifle grenades and the artillery fired a few rounds of shrapnel.

Casualties 4 Killed

9 wounded

Sat., Apr 17, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Relieved in the trenches by the Monmouths, a quiet relief.

Casualties

2 wounded

Sun., Apr 18, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Mon., Apr 19, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Tue., Apr 20, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

Wed., Apr 21, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Relieved Monmouths in the trenches, a quiet relief. Sounds of mining reported under 2 trench

Casualties.

3 wounded

Thu., Apr 22, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

7.15 AM

King’s Own exploded a mine north of Le TOUQUET. During the rest of the day the artillery on both sides was very active; the Germans firing 48 5.9’’ shells around about the Railway Barricade held by the King’s Own immediately on our right.

Casualties. 2 wounded

Fri., Apr 23, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

A lot of sniping in the early morning. Later, the artillery on both sides was active, the Germans shelling the Church in Le Bizet.

Casualties, 1 wounded

Sat., Apr 24, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

7 am

Little Willie put some shells round the cross roads barricade and beyond. One hit the parapet of the communication trench but in no case was any damage done. Otherwise very quiet. but sounds of mining were reported to have been heard in B 5.

Casualties 2 wounded

Sun., Apr 25, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

The Artillery of both sides fired at each other a certain amount, but we were not involved. Relieved in the evening by the Monmouths.

3 machine guns opened fire at one time but no damage was done.

Casualties 2 Killed, 1 wounded.

Mon., Apr 26, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets.

1 wounded

Tue., Apr 27, 1915 LE BIZET, FRANCE

In billets. Received orders at 8 p.m. to be ready to move next morning and later 1 p.m. was the time given by which we were to be ready.

1 wounded

Wed., Apr 28, 1915 LE BIZET & EN ROUTE, FRANCE

12.30 p.m. We received orders to move. The Battalion moved off at 2.15 p.m. from LE BIZET and marched via ARMENTIERES – PONT-DE-NIEPPE – NIEPPE – BAILLEUL to billets in open country about ½ mile N. of BAILLEUL arriving about 6.30 p.m.

Orders of march Lancs Fusiliers, East Lancs, Essex in Brigade, and A. B. C. and D Coys and Transport in Battalion.

The remainder of the Brigade followed later in the evening.

Thu., Apr 29, 1915 NEAR BAILLEUL, FRANCE

Remained in billets. Warned to be ready to move off at 5.0 am the following day.

Fri., Apr 30, 1915 EN ROUTE & IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

Moved off at 8.30 a.m. Route BAILLEUL – LOCRE. – Road junction M.17.c. – Zevecolen [original typo] towards OUDERDOM. We arrived at some huts about ¼ mile before OUDERDOM about 12.15.

2.30 pm shelled with small H E: 1 man badly hit and several others slightly. 2.45 p.m. Received orders to [crossed out: move] be ready to move by 5.0 p.m. Moved off 5.20 pm

The Battalion relieved the KOYLI and Q.V. Rifles, the whole Battalion with 1st line of transport being up with 1 guide [inserted: the] Three Battalions of our Bde. who were taking over trenches were all marched up together. We met plenty of transport which resulted in frequent checks. The Germans kept up a heavy artillery fire meanwhile and we had at 20 casualties

Lieut. R. Peerson killed.[Roy Pierson]

The trenches we took over were 900 x in front of the support trenches and 1500x from the reserve company with French, Ghurkas and British troops scattered about between Reference Map 28 (Ypres) our line of trenches extended from the farm in Square C 15 c (exclusive) to in front of farm in square C 15 d exclusive. The Moroccan Brigade were on our left. We were warned late at night that the Sirhind Brigade might possibly make an attack next day, and [inserted: be] crowded up into our trenches preparatory to the assault.

Casualties 3 Killed, 24 wounded.

Cas. month

K 1 + 16 – w. 48

Sat., May 1, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

1.30 p.m.

Notified that attack would take place by French on our left and by SIRHIND Bde., that latter would jump off from our trenches & that our wire was to be cut by 3 p.m.

2 p.m.

According to instructions received 12th Bde. proceeded to H.Q. SIRHIND Bde. and saw Gen WALKER. Informed him that instructions had been received for ESSEX to advance & occupy captured trenches if required. Gen WALKER stated that he did not think he would require the Bn.

2.15 p.m.

Heavy shelling by our field guns.

2.45 p.m.

Very heavy shelling by both sides.

3. p.m.

Attack by SIRHIND Bde. not pressed no advance being made beyond our trenches. Lt. T A C Brabazon wounded. 2nd Lt. P. J. Barrell killed.

Casualties 15 Killed, 14 wounded.

Sun., May 2, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

5 p.m.

Enemy attacked with gas some 60 0r 70 feet high of a greenish yellow colour was seen all along the front of the trenches held by 12th Bde. The gas appeared to be in front of the trenches held by the Lanc. Fus on the right and by [crossed out: ??????? ] this Bn. on the left. – Our trenches were held by B and D Cos and one platoon of A Company. - this garrison was driven from the trenches, in spite of having respirators, with the exception of Capt. Pechell and 12 N.C.O.’s & men of B Company. –this party stuck it out till the trenches were reoccupied. –

The names of the N.C.O.’s and men who stayed with Capt. Pechell are – C.S.M. Tipler (killed). – C.Q.M.S. Turl. – Sgt. Cumbers – Sgt Barker Pte. Brown – Maynard – Howes – Read – Curtis – Finch – Pte Scrutton ( A Co ) – Pte Briggs. –

When B & D Companies retired 2Lt. Irwin, who was in charge of the right Support consisting of 3 platoons of A Company were some 450 yds back, rushed his men in the face of a heavy shrapnel fire through the gas & reoccupied the right end of the trench.

C Company under Lt Atkinson moved up from reserve some 1500 yards back & in spite of a heavy shrapnel fire & machine gun fire re-occupied the left trench of the front trenches. – Both the French and our own artillery kept up a magnificent covering fire on the enemy’s trenches and absolutely prevented him from leaving them - after the trenches had been re-occupied the enemy ????? his trenches opposite our right but was driven each ?????? a hostile aeroplane also came over flying too & was brought down by the battn. but unfortunately fell just in his own lines. – One company 1st 2nd Monmouthshire Regt were sent up to occupy right support trench as the Bn had not enough men to do so. – a large number of men were arriving; they had been gassed & were admitted to hospital.

Casualties

23 Killed

67 wounded

175 missing

Officers wounded [ Capt Read Lt Howard – Round – Lt. Maitland – Lt Cagney ]

Gassed 1 [2Lt Rowley

Missing 2 [2Lt Wilmot & Cadic (probably gassed

Mon., May 3, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

C – in – C. sent congratulations to 12th & 10th Bde. for their good work on the 2nd instant

7.30 p.m.

- Attack reported developing against 11th Bde – Some shelling.

Casualties – 3 wounded.

--- signed L.O.W. Jones, Capt commanding 2/ Battn The Essex Rgt.

Tue., May 4, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

Heavy bombardment by Germans in early morning, but no attack – Good work done by our guns on enemy’s parapets, especially No. 459 By who shelled a trench in front of our right & some houses from which the enemy sniped – observation for this By while shelling the above mentioned trench were? done by Lt Atkinson in the trenches with great success.

Casualties 1 Killed 9 wounded

Wed., May 5, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

9.45 a.m.

Smell of gas and white cloud like a fog. Probably decomposed gas came from the direction of ST JEAN. Probably an attack on other side of salient.

A comparatively quiet day but intermittent bombardments.

Casualties 1 Killed, 5 wounded.

Thu., May 6, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

A very quiet day as far as the Bn was concerned – but a good deal of shelling elsewhere.

Casualties 1 Killed.

Fri., May 7, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

3.15 a.m.

Heavy shell & rifle fire to out right – Received orders from 12th Bde. to send up amn. [ammunition] to Monmouths & and to ask R. ??? to assist. – All orderlies & headquarter party were sent up with the amn. (16 men with 12 bandoliers each). – Monmouth reserve of amn. had been struck by shell & burnt.

Casualties 2 Killed, 2 wounded.

Sat., May 8, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

7.10 a.m.

Very heavy bombardment [ inserted: with high explosives] by the enemy all along the front of 12th Bde. & to the right. This bombardment was kept up till about 3.30 p.m., but although heavy all the time was terrific between 7.10 and 9.10 a.m. – In spite of heavy bombardment no attack of any importance was made on the 12th Bde.

In the evening it was reported that line of the Bde. on right of 12th Bde. was broken – This proven to be more or less true & some of the enemy got to WEILTZE. – but were counter attacked & driven out again.

Casualties 3 Killed, 20 wounded.

Twenty two Germans left their trench a [as] if to attack A Co. – they were all killed

Sun., May 9, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

Fairly quiet morning. Report that trench on our left would attack at 2 p.m.

1.40 p.m.

French bombarded the Germans on our left.

2.30 p.m.

Germans began to bombard all along our front & to the right with heavy guns & high explosive

3.30 p.m.

A lull in the bombardment by no attack.

4 p.m.

Rifle fire to the East.

5 p.m.

French again bombarded the German trenches . – German bombardment died down.

Received orders that we were to be releived by SOMERSET L.I. and go into the reserve trenches at LA BRIQUE.

A trench mortar station in A Company’s trench fired a bomb today into a cottage opposite the trench & exploded a cylinder of asphyxiating gas

Casualties 3 Killed, 1 wounded

Mon., May 10, 1915 RESERVE TRENCHES, LA BRIQUE, BELGIUM

2.30 a.m.

Bn. settled in billets bivouacs in reserve trenches.

8.30 p.m.

Move off to relieve HANTS in Div. Support trench from FARM 500 yds W of WIELTJE to the road which runs E and w 800 yds N of FARM.

Casualties 8 wounded

Tue., May 11, 1915 DIV. SUPPORT TRENCHES NEAR WIELTJE, BELGIUM

Fairly quiet day

3 wounded.

Wed., May 12, 1915 DIV. SUPPORT TRENCHES NEAR WIELTJE, BELGIUM

Quiet as far as the Bn. was concerned.

Casualties 2 Killed, one wounded

Thu., May 13, 1915 DIV. SUPPORT TRENCHES NEAR WIELTJE, BELGIUM

4. a.m.

Germans started heavy bombardment with heavy artillery all along the front from SHELL TRAP FARM (about 1000 yds N of WIELTJE (sheet 28), southwards.

5.30 a.m.

Some Cav. retired on [crossed out: ???]right.

(Cav. were holding line from ST JULIEN – WIELTJE road southwards)

Line from SHELL TRAP FM to Cav held by 11th Bde.

5.40 a.m.

Lull in bombardment.

5.53 a.m.

Bombardment commenced again.

Body of men, some or so seen retiring back from ridge about 100 yds S of [crossed out: She] SHELL TRAP FARM.

7 a.m.

C. Company ( Lt. Atkinson) ordered to advance on SHELL TRAP FARM and support it or retake it if found to be in enemy’s hands – A Co. ordered from reserve trench to take C Co’s place in support trench

C. Co. moved off.

7.35 a.m.

Leading section of C. Co. reached the ridge – FARM ground to be in [crossed out: ????] Attack held up by moat round farm into which several men. – Enemy eventually driven out of farm by fire. – C Co had carried out the advance & attack in good order under heavy artillery & rifle fire – A machine gun was splendidly brought into action by Sgt Couzens. (Lt Atkinson wounded).

8.20 a.m.

Following message received from G.O.C. 11th Bde. (under whose the Bn. were). “ Retake at once front line from SHELL TRAP FARM to FORTUIN – WIELTJE ROAD”. shell trap farm having been already retaken by C. Company. The commander of the Bn. was ordered to attack as follows – A Co [inserted: LT IRWIN] to retake trenches between FORTUIN – WIELTJE and ST JULIE – WIELTJE roads. with its left on road junction 500 yds NE of point where WIELTJE – ST JULIEN and FORTUIN – WIELTJE join.

B Co (Capn Pechell) were ordered to prolong the line to the left with their right on the road junction mentioned above.

D Co ( Lt. Smith-Masters) were ordered to side slip up the support trench to the position which B Co were going to vacate and follow up as reserve in rear of B. Company.

It was thought that when B and [crossed out: D] A Cos has retaken the trenches D could be diverted half left & retake the remainder of the trench to left of B Co., assisted by B on the right & C on the left (SHELL TRAP FARM)

8.30 a.m.

A and B. Cos moved off – The attack by these two companies was splendidly carried out with great dash & determination – They were subjected to a very heavy artillery fire both high explosive & shrapnel, and on reaching the ridge to heavy machine gun fire – they never faltered in spite of fairly heavy casualties – The ground very near to the ridge was covered in quick time – the last 350 yds being covered at the double. – On arrival in the trench it was found to be blown almost to pieces & could only be held in places – It was also found that on the left of B Company the E. LANC REGT were holding the ridge, D Co were therefore ordered to dig in in rear which they did making use of the numerous shell holes.

10.15 a.m.

The Bn. was settled in the trench & were clearing the parts which had been blown in

The Battn were relieved in the trench by KING’s OWN on the right & by the reserve Company of the EAST LANC. at SHELL TRAP FARM and withdrew to the DIV. Support trench vacated in the morning and re organized, section & Companies having got rather ???? in the attack .On the arrival at the support trench , wet & very cold, the Bn. had the pleasure of finding that their packs & great coats had been ransacked & many things taken – presumably by the troops sent to occupy the trench [crossed out: while the] when the Bn. moved out.

The following message was received in the evening –

ESSEX

General DE LISLE commanding 1st Cavalry DIV. wishes to convey his thanks to the Essex Regt for their gallant and prompt assistance this morning. The Cav. Division’s opinion is voiced by the whole of the 4th DIV.

[ crossed out: Message re situation received from 11th Bde.]

Casualties

37 killed, 94 wounded, 49 missing

Fri., May 14, 1915 DIV. SUPPORT TRENCHES NEAR WIELTJE, BELGIUM

Message from 11th Bde. re situation yesterday. Yesterday attacks were made on HANTS and RIFLE Bde both being beaten off. Left Co E LANCS shelled to pieces & SHELL TRAP FARM taken Counter attack by ESSEX restored situation and ESSEX also retook trenches on our right evacuated by cavalry.

Message from Brigadier 12th Bde. to C.O. –

“Just a line to tell you how delighted I am that the old corps have done so splendidly, everybody is talking about it.”

Message from Brigadier 11th Bde to C.O.

“Before handing over to G.O.C. 12th Bde. I want to express to you my great appreciation of the splendid work by you and my old friends the Essex Regt. They saved the line twice.”

A quiet day. – 2/Lt Millard joined

Casualties - NIL

Sat., May 15, 1915 DIV. SUPPORT TRENCHES NEAR WIELTJE, BELGIUM

Quiet day.

Casualties – NIL.

Sun., May 16, 1915 DIV. SUPPORT TRENCHES NEAR WIELTJE, BELGIUM

9.15 p.m.

Releived in support trench by 2 Cos. R. DUBLIN FUSILIERS and [ inserted: on relief] marched to VLAMERTINGE CHATEAU & bivouaced [inserted: in the bushes around the grounds arriving 2 – crossed out: p.m. – a.m. 17th.

Casualties – NIL.

Mon., May 17, 1915 NEAR POPERINGHE, BELGIUM

2 p.m.

Left for billeting area just N. of POPERINGE.

4. p.m.

Arrived in area & billeted in farm round DROOGENTAK FARM on POPERINGE – WOESTEN ROAD. Lt HORNE joined with draft of 35.

Casualties NIL

Tue., May 18, 1915 NEAR POPERINGHE, BELGIUM

12 noon

2 Lt Furlinson & 2 Lt Fraser joined

2 p.m.

Major Gen Wilson commanding 4th DIV arrived & saw the Bn and congratulated them on their ????? work of the last 16 days. He stated that the Bn had done good work all through the war, but has surpassed itself during the lat 16 days-

Casualties - NIL

Wed., May 19, 1915 NEAR POPERINGHE, BELGIUM

In billets. A continuous drizzle during the greater part of the day.

Thu., May 20, 1915 NEAR POPERINGHE, BELGIUM

In billets. 2/Lt H ???????? rejoined the Battalion. 1 Coy signals and Medical Officer of 5th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers attached to the Battalion. One platoon being attached to each Company.

Fri., May 21, 1915 NEAR POPERINGHE, BELGIUM

In billets. Received orders to relieve 1/Bn East Lancashire Regt on the following evening.

Church parade 5.30 p.m.

Sat., May 22, 1915 VLAMERTHINGE, BELGIUM

The Battalion left billets at 10 a.m. en route for the Chateau at VLAMERTINGHE, arriving there soon after 12 noon, and bivouaced in the grounds in the same place as when going to billets on 17th May. The first Coy moved off for the trenches at 7.40 p.m. the remaining companies following at 5 minutes interval. The first Company passed Irish Farm about 9.35 p.m. when a heavy rain and thunderstorm commenced. During the relief heavy artillery fire took place some little distance to our left on the line held by the French.

Casualties. 1 Missing

Sun., May 23, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

On the whole a very quiet day. The enemy shelled the Trenches in the morning. Lieut H.B. Bavin was killed and 2/Lt V. Millard wounded.

Casualties 1 Killed 2 wounded. 4 missing.

Mon., May 24, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

2.45 a.m.

The Germans commenced loosing off gas all along the line from our trenches to the right as far as we could see. This was accompanied by a very heavy bombardment of the trenches, a large proportion of stink shells being used especially on rear of the trenches. A number of men of two regiments on our right and of one regiment in the support line on the right retired past Bn. HdQrs, the majority being without rifles. We stopped some of these men, but they could not be got forward. They reported all the line to the right was gone, but we soon heard that the situation was not as bad as was reported. { crossed out: We saw no men of the King’s Own who were ????????????????????????????????????????????] The shelling continued to be very heavy until 5.- a.m. when it began to slacken. The Companies in the trenches about this time reported that SHELL TRAP FARM and the hedge on its left was occupied by the Germans. We were first warned that we might have to retire on to the Divisional Support line and Trench Switch in the evening, but later we were told it was definitely decided that we were going to counter attack with 3 Bns of French helping us. By 1 p.m. the amount of shelling was again normal and we heard that the trench from the right of the King’s Own round by SHELL TRAP FARM and southward for some distance was in the hands of the Germans. About 5.-0 p.m. we received orders to retire at dusk after the King’s Own through the South Lancs in Div Support and Trench Switch to the trenches behind the Canal Bank. This was however, altered at the last moment and A,B & C Coys occupied Divnl 2nd Line while “D” Coy held the Divnl Support line in support to Trench Switch. The Companies were settled by 2.0 a.m. 25th May.

Casualties 16 Killed, 55 wounded, 21 missing.

Tue., May 25, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

A quiet day on the whole. 2/Lieut. Searles joined the Battalion in the morning. And was posted to “A” Coy, being transferred to “D” Coy in the evening when 2/Lt. J.W.S. Symons joined the Battalion and was posted to “A” Company. Lt. A. C. Talbot rejoined.

Casualties 3 Killed, 10 wounded

Wed., May 26, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

On the whole a fairly quiet day with the usual amount of shelling. Irish Farm was shelled at intervals during the day. We received orders to take over the remainder of the Trench Switch from the King’s Own, to fill in our old trench east of the Estaminet and to fill in a trench near FORWARD COTTAGE.

“D” Coy relieved the Company of the King’s Own at 10 p.m. We then held the whole of the Trench Switch in TURCO FARM to C.21 central, with “A” Company in Divisional 2nd line, in support. “A” Company went out at dusk covered by a bombing party and succeeded in filling in 200 x of their old trench without any trouble although Germans had been reported seen in the east end of the trench. “D” Company went out and commenced filling in the trenches round FORWARD COTTAGES. Both these parties came in just before stand to.

1 Company 6th Northumberland Fusiliers (55 strong), arrived and was distributed among the Battalion.

Casualties 7 killed

Thu., May 27, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

A quiet day. “D” Coy asked to be allowed to send out a party to FORWARD COTTAGE to try to capture a German, but when it arrived the Germans had gone. Lieut A. C. Talbot wounded. Casualties 1 wounded

Fri., May 28, 1915 IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

A fairly quiet day. Relieved in the evening and went back to the Canal Bank, with the exception of “C” Coy, who remained in the trenches on the left next to the French.

The Battalion was settled down by 1 a.m. 2/Lieut Sacré joined.

Casualties 1 wounded.

Sat., May 29, 1915 IN BILLETS & IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

A quiet day.

2 Killed, 12 wounded

2/Lieutenants Winn, Hopkinson and Smelt joined the Battalion

Sun., May 30, 1915 IN BILLETS & IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

A quiet day. “A” Company relieved “C” in the trenches.

Casualties – NIL.

Mon., May 31, 1915 IN BILLETS & IN THE TRENCHES, BELGIUM

A quiet day. “A” Coy were relieved by a Company of the Warwicks.

Casualties – NIL.

and:

Fri., Nov 1, 1918 HASPRES, FRANCE

Parades and Trianing. One Coy. employed in Salvage work.

Casualties :- 1 O.R. to England for Commission. 11 Ors evacuated.

Sat, Nov 2, 1918 HASPRES & VILLERS-EN-CAUCHIES, FRANCE

Battalion moved by march route from HASPRES to VILLERS-EN-CAUCHIES

Casualties :- 2nd. Lt. G.D. KNIGHTto F.A., 1 O.R. reinforcement, 7 O.Rs evacuated. Capt. H.L. GIBSON joined.

Sun, Nov 3, 1918 VILLERS-EN-CAUCHIES, FRANCE

Cleaning up billets and their vicinity. Training and parades.

Casualties :- 6 Ors reinforcements. 3 O.Rs to F.A.

Mon., Nov 4, 1918 VILLERS-EN-CAUCHIES, FRANCE

Cleaning of billets and billeting area. Training and parades.

Casualties :- 6 Ors reinforcements 3. O.Rs to F.A. 2 Ors evacuated.

Tue., Nov 5, 1918 VILLERS-EN-CAUCHIES, FRANCE

Training and parades. Ceaning of billets.

Casualties :- 2/Lt. H.J. STRIDE to F.A. 2/Lt C.J.D. WEST to F.A. 5 O.Rs reinforcements 7. Ors to F.A.

Wed., Nov 6, 1918 VILLERS-EN-CAUCHIES & ARTRES, FRANCE

Battalion moved by march route from VILLERS-EN-CAUCHIES to ARTRES.

Casualties :- 5 O.Rs to F.A. 3 O.Rs reinforcements.

Thu., Nov 7, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Cleaning of billets. Salvage work. Training and parades.

Casualties :- 1 O.R. to F.A. 7 ORs evacuated.

Fri., Nov 8, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Parades. Helping of civilian populace by Company finding fatigues and working parties.

Casualties :- 2/Lt. J.H. HARRIS attached 12th T.M. Batty. 2 ORs to F.A.

Sat, Nov 9, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Training and parades. Work of aiding civilians continued.

Casualties :- 3 OR reinforcements. 2 ORs to F.A. 3 ORs from F.A. 2 ORs evacuated.

Sun, Nov 10, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Voluntary Service for C-of-E. Voluntary Service for Nonconformists

Casualties :- 3 ORs reinforcements. 7 ORs evacuated.

Mon., Nov 11, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Brigade Ceremonial Parade. Educational classes begun.

Casualties :- Lieut. D.G. BOND to F.A. 1 OR to A.P.M 4th Div for imprisonment.

3 ORs to F.A.

Tue., Nov 12, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Baths and haircutting by Companies.

Casualties :- 1 OR to F.A. 1 OR from F.A. 4 Ors evacuated.

Wed., Nov 13, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Company parades and training. One Coy employed in assisting civiliansin repairing their homes. Casualties :- 3. Ors to F.A.

Thu., Nov 14, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Battalion parade and training. Cleaning of billets.

Casualties :- 2/Lt H.W.R. MOULDING transferred to England. 12 Ors reinforcements. 1 OR to F.A. 1 OR from F.A.

Fri., Nov 15, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Cleaning billets. Training and parades.

Casualties :- 2 Ors reinforcements. 6 Ors to F.A. 1 OR from F.A. 3 Ors evacuated.

Sat, Nov 16, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Brigade ceremonial drill parade during morning.

Casualties :- 1 OR to F.A.

Sun, Nov 17, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Brigade Church Parade of Thanksgiving held in the factory occupied by the Battn., at 11.30 hrs the senior Chaplain officiating.

Casualties :- Capt H.L. GIBSON to England. 2/Lt G.D. KNIGHT from F.A. 2 Ors to Base, medically unfit. 2 ORs to F.A. 2 Ors evacuated.

Mon., Nov 18, 1918 ARTRES, FRANCE

Training and parades. Educational classes.

Casualties :- 4 Ors reinforcements. 5 Ors evacuated.

Tue., Nov 19, 1918 ARTRES & ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion moved by march route from from ARTRES to ST. SAULVE.

Casualties :- LT. H.S. CHALK and 2/Lt. W. CHILVER joined for duty. 5 Ors reinforcements. 4 Ors to F.A.

Wed., Nov 20, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

A Divisional parade took place in the Aerodrome at SAULTAIN during morning. Division inspected by Divl. Commander.

Casualties :- 4 Ors to F.A.

Thu., Nov 21, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Cleaning billets and billeting area. Educational classes daily 1140 – 1240 hoursinstead of in the evenings.

Casualties :- 2/Lt L.N. LAGDEN transferred to England13/11/18 and struck off strength. 1 OR to F.A.

Fri., Nov 22, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Training and parades. Educational classes.

Casualties :- 2/Lts. T. GUPPY and V. MULLINGERjoined for duty. 7 Ors reinforcements. 1 OR to F.A.

Sat, Nov 23, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion Ceremonial Parade 0900 – 1000 hrs. Cleaning up and improvement of billets

Casualties :- 2/Lt F.A. BASSETT to F.A. (Accidental injury). 2/Lt CJD. WEST from F.A. 7. ORs reinforcements.

Sat, Nov 24, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Church parade at 0930 hrs. Inspection of Battalion in full marching order by Commanding Officer at 1130 hrs.

Casualties :- 1 O.R. reinforcement 1 OR to F.A.

Mon., Nov 25, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades and Training. “ A” Coy on 50 yds range

Casualties :- 2/Lieut M.C. HURST joined for duty. 1 OR reinforcement. 2 Ors to F.A. 2 Ors evacuated.

Tue., Nov 26, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades. “ B” Coy on 50 yds range.

Casualties :- 2 ORs reinforcements. 3 ORs to F.A. 2 ORs from F.A.

Wed., Nov 27, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

“ C” Coy on 50 yds range. Remainder of Battn Training and parades.

Casualties :- 2 ORs reinforcements. 3 ORs to F.A. 2 ORs from F.A.

Thu., Nov 28, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

The Army Commander inspected the Division at the Aerodrome at SAULTAIN at 1030 hrs.

Casualties :- 2/Lt H.G. GRIGGS joined for duty.

2/Lt J.H. HARRIS rejoined from T.M. Battery.

Fri., Nov 29, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

All Companies on the Rifle Range.

Casualties :- 2/Lt H.J. STRIDE joined for duty. 5 Ors reinforcements.

Sat, Nov 30, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Cleaning billets and billeting area. Scrubbing floors of billets. Educational Classes.

Casualties :- 2/Lt H.J. STRIDE trenasferred to England 21/11/18 and struck off strength. 5 Ors to F.A. 1 OR. Reinforcement.

(Signed) A.E. MAITLAND

2/12/18. Lieut-Colonel

Commanding 2nd Bn The Essex Regiment.

Sun., Dec 1, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion Churh Parade at 0930 hrs. Inspection of Battalion in full marching order by Commanding Officer at 1130 hrs.

3 Ors reinforcements. 1 OR from F.A. 5 Ors to F.A. 4 Ors evacuated.

Afternoon :- Foorball match on Hom Ground v 406 Renfrew R.E. Coy. (12th Bde Senior League). Score - Essex 8 goals – Renfrew Coy nil.

Mon., Dec 2, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades & Training. “ D” Coy on 50 yds range. Educational classes.

1 OR reinforcement. 2 ORs to F.A.

Tue., Dec 3, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades & Training. “ A” Coy on 50 yds range. Party of 1 Officer & 35 ORs proceed to ARTRES for salvage work. Educational classes.

Afternoon – 12th Bde Senior League Football match (Home). 2nd Essex 4 & 2nd Lanc Fuslrs. 2

1 OR to F.A. 1 OR from F.A. 1 OR evacuated.

Wed., Dec 4, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

“ B” Coy on 50 yds range, remainder of Battn Parades & Training. Educational classes.

Afternoon :- Recreational training.

10 O.Rs . reinforcements. 1 OR from F.A. 1 O.R. to F.A. 1 OR. evacuated.

Thu., Dec 5, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

“ B” and “ C” Coys on 50 yds range, remainder parades & Training. Educational classes.

Afternoon:- Recreational training & sports.

13 ORs reinforcements. 2 ORs from F.A.

Fri., Dec 6, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades & Training. ” A” & ” D” Coys on 50 yds range for Bullet & Bayonet Course. Educational classes.

Lieut D.G. BOND transferred Eng (Sick) 26/11/18 and struck off strength. 1 OR reinforcement. 5 Ors to F.A. 1 O.R. evacuated.

Sat., Dec 7, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion Ceremonial Parade. Cleaning of billets and equipment. Educational classes.

Colour Party (2 Officers & 3 N.C.Os) proceed to Depot in England to act as escort for Regimental Colours.

6 OR reinforcements. 4 Ors to F.A. 4 Ors evacuated.

Afternoon : 12th Bde Junior League Football match. (Home). 2nd Essex 10 v Bde HQ & T.M. Btty nil.

Sun., Dec 8, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Church Parade at 1115 hrs.

3 ORs to F.A. 2 Ors evacuated.

Afternoon:- 12th Bde. Senior League Football match (Away). 2nd Essex 10 v Bde HQ & T.M. Btty nil.

Mon., Dec 9, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades & Training. « C » Coy on 50 yds range. Educational classes.

Afternoon :- Recreation & games.

1 O.R. reinforcement. 1 O.R to F.A. 1 OR evacuated.

Tue., Dec 10, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

All Companies on Rifle Range. Educational classes.

3 Ors. Reinforcements. 1 OR to F.A. 1 OR from F.A. 1 OR evacuated.

Wed., Dec 11, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Presentation of Medal Ribands by Corps Commander

2 ORs to England as Coalminers. 2 ORs reinforcements. 2 ORs to F.A. 2 O.Rs from F.A. 1 OR to Transporation Depot.

Thu., Dec 12, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades & Training. “ A” Coy on 50 yds range. Specialised & Educational classes.

5 ORs reinfcts. 2 ORs to F.A. 3 O.Rs evacuated. 3 O.Rs trnsfd to T.M. Btty.

Afternoon :- 12th Bde Junior League Football match (Away). 2nd Essex 2 v 2 Lancs Fuslrs. 1.

Fri., Dec 13, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Bathing by Companies. Educational classes.

Afternoon :- Recreational training and games.

5 O.Rs reinforcements. 2 ORs from F.A. 2 ORs evacuated.

Sat., Dec 14, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Cleaning & scrubbing of billets and equipment. Educational classes.

Afternoon :- Football. Div. League. 2nd Round “ Lucus” Cup (Away).

2nd Essex 3 v 29/Bde R.F.A. 2.

2/Lt. F.A. BASSETT Transfd to Eng (Sick) 3/12/18. 1 O.R. reinforcement. 1 OR from F.A. 2 ORs evacuated.

Sun., Dec 15, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion Church Parade at 1100 hrs.

Afternoon:- 12th Bde Senior League Football Match (Away). 2nd Essex 5 v 12 F.A. 1.

4 OR to Eng. for demobilization (coalminers). 1 O.R from F.A.

Mon., Dec 16, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades & Training. Specialist classes. Educational classes.

“ B” Coy proceeded to 4th Div. Reception Camp ANZIN to meet and escort Colour Party.

3 O.Rs reinforcements.

Tue., Dec 17, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

“ C” Coy on 50 yds range. Lewis Gun class on short range. Specialist classes. Remainder of Battn parades & training. Educational classes.

Capt R.E.G. CAROLIN joined for duty. Lt. H.T. WASHINGTON to F.A. 2 ORs reinforcements 2 ORs. evacuated.

Wed., Dec 18, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades & Training. “ D” Coy on 50 yds range.

Afternoon :- 12th Bde Senior League football match (Away). 2nd Essex 7 v Bde HQ & FMB. Nil.

2 ORs to F.A. 2 O.Rs evacuated. 32 O.Rs Band personnel joined from England.

Thu., Dec 19, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Parades and Training. Cleaning of billets. Educational classes.

Afternoon :- Recreational training and games.

3 ORs reinforcements.

Fri., Dec 20, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion Route march. Recreational training. Educational classes.

1 OR reinforcement. 2 ORs to F.A.

Sat., Dec 21, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battn. Ceremonial Drill Parade. Scrubbing & cleaning of equipment & billets.

Educational classes. Recreational training.

1 OR to F.A. 1 OR from F.A.

Sun., Dec 22, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Church parade at 0930 hrs.

Afternoon :- Divl. League Football. 3rd Round “ Lucus” Cup. (Away).

2nd Essex 2 v 2nd Seaforths 1.

3 ORs reinforcements. 1 O.R. to F.A. 8 ORs (coalminers) to England for demobilization.

Mon., Dec 23, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Training and parades. Battn Cross-country run. Educational classes.

1 OR to F.A. 1 O.R reinfct. 1 O.R. evacuated.

Tue., Dec 24, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Cleaning of billets etc. Bathing by Coys. Recreational training & games.

7 ORs reinfcts. 1 O.R. demobilized. 1 O.R evacuated.

Wed., Dec 25, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Church Parade at 0900 hrs.

3 ORs to F.A.

Afternoon :- Platoon football final. Sports.

Thu., Dec 26, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion Treasure Hunt. Afternoon :- Bn ??ist Drive.

1 O.R. demobilized. 1 O.R evacuated.

Fri., Dec 27, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battn. Route march. Educational classes. Recreational training.

1 OR evacuated.

Sat., Dec 28, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battn Ceremonial Parade. Cleaning of billets & scrubbing equipment.

Educational classes.

2 ORs demobilized. 1 O.R evacuated.

Sun., Dec 29, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Battalion Church Parade. Inspection of Coys by Commanding Officer. Educational classes.

3 O.Rs to F.A. 1 O.R evacuated. 1 OR reinfct.

Mon., Dec 30, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

“ A” Coy on 50 yds range. Remainder of Battn. training & parades. Educational classes.

Afternoon :- Bde Boxing Competitions.

1 OR to F.A.

Tue., Dec 31, 1918 ST. SAULVE, FRANCE

Training & parades. “ D” Coy on 50 yds range.

1 OR reinforcemt. 1 OR to F.A. 5 ORs evacuated.

I haven't proofread 1918 yet, so there could be some transcription oopses in it. I'll check the official history by Burrows later for you.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Bob,

Re the War Diary of the 2nd Bn. The Essex Regiment, here are the relevant entries:

Thu., Apr 1, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

Relieved in the trenches by the Monmouths.

Casualties 1 Killed: Arthur Walter Petchey.

<snip>

and:

Fri., Nov 1, 1918 HASPRES, FRANCE

Parades and Trianing. One Coy. employed in Salvage work.

Casualties :- 1 O.R. to England for Commission. 11 Ors evacuated.

<snip>

I haven't proofread 1918 yet, so there could be some transcription oopses in it. I'll check the official history by Burrows later for you.

Thank you for your time, Michael. I know that you have in-depth knowledge about the Essex and appreciate your help.

'Clive' kindly told me that:

8417 Mead transferred to Class B reserve from 2nd Essex on 8th February 1914. He was reported wounded twice during the war: on 15th October 1915 in the Essex Chronicle and on 6th December 1918 in the War Office Weekly List. The 15th October lists was an amalgamated list of 2nd Essex men who had been wounded in April and May 1915 but not previously reported.

but looking at your diary, the 2nd E.R. seem mainly occupied by training, parades and recreation in Nov/Dec 1918 so I guess there must be some mistake about the War Office Weekly List on 6-Dec-1918.

Does Private 8417 H Mead appear anywhere in the 1st E.R (Quetta) or 2nd E.R. diary, please?

I guess that the chances of a photograph is just me dreaming... Wanted to see if he looked like me, poor chap!

The 6th December 1918 list covers casualties from October rather than November . The list has 25 names of men wounded. My money would therefore be on:

Fri., Oct 25, 1918

FRONT LINE, FRANCE

The Battalion took part in an attack on a large frontage. The Brigade attacked on a two Battalion frontage. 2nd Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers on right, 2nd Bn. Essex Regiment on left and 1st Bn. King’s Own Regiment in reserve. The Battalion formed up as follows: “B” Coy on left in J.30.d. “D” Coy on right in J.36.b. “A” Coy left support and “C” Coy right support, both Companies on a line diagonally through J.35.c.

At ZERO - 2 hours, “A” and “C” Coys came forward and got into position about 200 yards in rear of the assaulting Companies. Battalion Headquarters were at P.11.a.6.6. The objectives were (1) The trench line running across the road from P.30.b.7.7 to K.31.a.3.2 and (2) a line 200 yards E. of road from the HALT, K.20.d.8.1. –Cross Roads K.26.d.5.1. The attack was under an 18 pdr barrage which opened at ZERO. The barrage remained stationary for 9 minutes and then advanced. The attacking troops followed the barrage as close as was possible. The barrage fell directly on the trench line, and, had the trench been occupied, would have undoubtedly have done much destruction. The trench only contained one man. He was killed. A wide belt of entanglement of wire was about 20 feet in front of the trench, and was not cut by our Artillery. The attacking troops passed through the wire by the paths made by enemy carrying parties. Advancing towards the final objective (2) very little resistance was offered by the enemy, indeed, very few were encountered, and those were dealt with. The objective was reached, and consolidation was commenced. Patrols were pushed forwards to the VALENCIENNES – LE QUESNOY Railway, and posts established along it in K.27.a and d. At 1800 hours the enemy counter-attacked. The attack was local and lacking in enthusiasm, and was successfully repulsed with loss to the enemy. During the advance, some difficulty occurred in keeping direction owing to the heavy smoke from the barrage.

Casualties:- 1 O.R. killed., 25 O.Rs. wounded., 3 O.Rs. missing., 1 O.R. from F.A. 4 O.Rs. reinforcements.

See other post re photo. But it has no names!

Clive

(Happy New Year Michael!)

The 6th December 1918 list covers casualties from October rather than November . The list has 25 names of men wounded. My money would therefore be on:

Fri., Oct 25, 1918

FRONT LINE, FRANCE

The Battalion took part in an attack on a large frontage...

<snip>

See other post re photo. But it has no names!

Thank you, Clive, for posting the diary transcription. I have sent you a PM with my email address for the photo. Appreciate your help very much.

• 5 months later...

Help please

I am looking for detail from the Divisional History (perhaps John Wm Burrows, Service Battalions of The Essex Regt, The War 1914 - 1919) of a trench raid the 11 /Essex took part in on the evening of 28 June 1917.... close to Loos. It was undertaken in conjunction with the 2 / DLI.

I am particualrly interested in one soldier, John James (Jack) Fowle, who was killed either in the raid itself, or as a consequence of that raid when the German artillery fell heavily on the British positions. I have the war diaries of all the units that took part but just wondered if the Divisional History gave any different information?

If any one can help me (perhaps with a scan of the relevant pages of the Divisional History? if that is allowed?) then I shall be eternally grateful

Thanks very much indeed

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Burrows wrote the regimental histories, not the divisional history I'm afraid and there is no mention of your man in his Volume 6. Sorry.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael.... greatly appreciate your help. A pity that Jack Fowle is not cited, but I know the mention of a 'ranker' is most unlikely

What about the trench raid the 11 /Essex took part in on the evening of 28 June 1917?.... is that mentioned at all please?

Thanks very much for your help

Andrew

Andrew, if you PM me you email address, I'll send you the relevant pages from Burrows. He covers the raid fairly extensively as Lieut. F.B. Wearne was awarded the V.C. for remaining at his post even though he was severely wounded twice. When he was being taken away he was wounded for the third time and was killed.

Cheers,

Michael

• 7 months later...

hi micheal i wonder if you are still doing look up"s . my father pte frank melbourn 277317 6th essex 1917/18 was wounded, but im not sure if it was with the essex as he had been transfered from another regiment, and i wonder what and where he was and might off been doing at that period , if you have the time thank you, if your not doing look ups any more thats fine too i thought i .would ask. bert

Bert

277317 Pte Frank Melbourne, Essex Regiment, was reported wounded in the War Office List published on 14th October 1918. The date indicates that he was wounded some time in September 1918.A high number of the men in that list were 2nd Essex

He was ex London Regiment and others from the London regiment with service numbers close to his were posted to 2nd battalion Essex. At least one on the 2nd Essex casualties in that list was wounded on 2nd September 1918. Without service papers or medal roll this is a bit speculative, his Essex number indiactes he passed through a reserve battalion of the Essex and could have gone to almost any Essex front-line battalion afterwards. The relevant war diary extract for 2nd Essex shown below

Sun, Sep 1, 1918

FRONT LINE (ARRAS SECTOR), FRANCE

B. C. & D. Coys moved up to assembly positions at night. Casualties:- a/Capt. G. PARKER and 2/Lieut. E.A. LANE Killed 31.8.18. Lieut. A. SLOAN Wounded. 8 ORs. Killed. 14 ORs Wounded. 16 ORs to F.A. (N.Y.D.N. GAS) 4 ORs to F.A. 4 ORs Reinforcements.

Mon., Sep 2, 1918

Battalion assembled in depth by 4.0 am in P.13.d and attacked enemy trenches in P.14, P.15 at 5.0 am. Attack successful, but some confusion caused by other troops occupying same trenches.

Battn. Hdqrs. established at P.14.d.1.6. Estimated casualties 20 Killed 50 Wounded.

Tue., Sep 3, 1918

Battalion attacked village of ETAING with 2nd. Lancs. Fusiliers Very little opposition Very little opposition encountered, and Companies were established in trenches in P.4.a., P.4.c and P.4.d. Battalion relieved by 2nd Bn. King’s Royal Rifles.

Wed., Sep 4, 1918

MONCHY, FRANCE

Battalion moved after relief to trenches around ARRAS – CAMBRAY Road S. of MONCHY. Casualties for period:- 31st Aug to 4th. Septr. 24 ORs Killed 172 ORs Wounded, 48 Missing.

Regards

Clive