Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th (Labour) bn, the King's (Liverpool)

Chris_Baker

Calling all Labour Corps experts (that's you Ivor! plus anyone else who can help)...

What can you tell me about the 10th (Labour) Bn, the King's (Liverpool Regiment)? Formation, locations, etc ... anything would be useful.

Also...a group of men seem to have transferred from there to the 76th Company of the Labour Corps in (first half?) of 1917. Any ideas on why, when etc would be good. These guys had Liverpool regiment numbers around 67000-68000 and were allocated Labour Corps numbers around 45000-45300.

Also...any location or movement info on the 76th Company.

Phew. Thanks in advance.

Chris

A bit of a mystery. I cannot trace a 10th (Labour) Bn King's. 10th King's was a TF bn and became 1/10, 2/10, 3/10. The only King's bns which were involved with Labour were the 23rd, 24th, and 27th, which were Works bns, with 23rd and 27th becoming 1st and 2nd Labour Bns, as part of Labour Corps in April 1917. 24th appears to have vanished fairly early on.

Certainly the pure infantry labour bns were transferred to the Labour Corps in April 1917, with each forming two Labour companies.

Maybe Ivor can solve this by tracking back from 76th Labour Company.

The only other possibility is that your men were transferred because they had been medically downgraded.

Charles

Hope this will help! Sorry there is no information regarding [Labour].

10th. [scottish] Kings Regt.

Unit was raised as 8th. [scottish] Volunteer Bn The king's [Liverpool] Regt in October 1900. Reorganized as 10 th [scottish] Bn of Regt on 1st April 1908.

4th. Aug 1914 South Lancs Bde, West lancs Div. - Aug. Edinburgh- was on Forth Defences. October at Tunbridge Wells.

2nd. Nov 1914 landed at Harve and 9th. Bde, 3rd. Div.

6th. Jan 1916 to 166 Bde, 55th. Div.

11th. Nov 1918 166 Bde, 55th. Div. Belguim: Villiers Notre Dame, west of Ath.

Arthur

Thank you both. I'm not all all sure that 10th (Labour) was anything to do with the 10th TF, which of course was the Liverpool Scottish. It is mentioned on the CWGC records of a number of men with regimental numbers in the series I described above and seesm to me to be a totally separate unit.

Chris

I think that the penny has dropped. I believe it should be 10th Infantry Labour Company King's (Liverpool Regt). Infantry Labour Companies were raised from category B infantrymen in the early months of 1917. Some 120 were sent to France and then were then transferred to the Labour Corps. 10th Infantry Labour Coy King's went to France on 12 March 1917. It then probably became 76th Labour Coy, but, as I said before, Ivor should be able to confirm this.

We have had other cases on this Forum (in its old guise) or the ex-WFA Forum of ex-Infantry Labour Coy men having their own regimental capbadge on their gravestones, rather than the Labour Corps badge.

I hope that this is of more help.

Charles

Chris

Charles is quite correct in saying it was an Infantry Labour Company of the King's (Liverpool Regiment).

The 10th ILC King's (3 Officers & 495 ORs) arrived in France on 13 March 1917 and was to become 75 Company Labour Corps (Labour Corps numbers in range 44401 - 45000)

The 11th ILC King's (3 Officers & 495 ORs) arrived in France on 14 March 1917 and became 76 Company LC (numbers in range 45001 - 45600)

The range of numbers you mention (both Labour Corps and KLR) seem to fit with 75 rather than 76 Company. Are you sure it is 76 Company?

I have locations for both Companies for various times from March 1917 until July 1919. So once we clear up whether it is 75 or 76 Company I 'll send the data to you.

I knew you would know, Ivor! My man was numbered 68801 in the Liverpools, and 45122 in the Labour Corps. I was guessing he was in 76 Company just from men who died, with near numbers. (Not many of them).

Chris

Do you want any location details for 11th ILC King's (76 Company LC)?

In fact this was quite an interesting Company. Soon after they arrived in France they were criticised:

‘Coy lacking in discipline or any knowledge of military requirements. Naturally the men are helpless and of poor physique.' March 1917

However during the March 1918 offensive they handled '11 tons of ammunition per man during 14 hours'.

• 9 years later...

I note that they kept their own cap badges but did the 10th - and 11th - ILC King's wear any other insignia that identified them as ILC ?

thanks

• 2 years later...

Have removed photo's and documents as they are easily found in Google search. This post can be deleted by and Admin if they wish.

Edited by Guest
Documents and photo's are easily seen on Google search.

• 2 years later...

Private 69101 Thomas Bilsborrow 10th battalion (Labour) King’s Liverpool Regiment

This chap died at home 11-3-1917, at the age of 40,  and is buried at Agecroft Cemetery (Salford)

A single chap he was the son of Thomas & Mary Jane Bilsborrow.

Can anybody please add to this?

On 08/02/2015 at 04:01, Kiloh said:

Hello .. I know this is an old post, but my Grt Grandad, sitting on the left of photo, was with the KLR. He was with the 2/10 and then it changed later as did his regiment/service numbers, excuse my noobiness with this.
I have attached documents and a pic of him in uniform, any elaboration would be much appreciated, thought the documents may be of some use.

Thank you in advance
Helen Kiloh

L - Alex,Helen McD and Robert Unknown - copy.jpg

Helen, Your great grandfather was with the Liverpool Scottish (the 10th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment), going to France and Flanders with the 2nd Battalion in February 1917 as part of the 57th (Second West Lancashire) Division. The designation of this was 2/10th KLR - said as 'Second Tenth'. the 2/10th merged with the 1st Battalion (1/10th KLR) in April 1918. The 1/10th was in (and continued to serve with) the 55th (West Lancashire) Division. We should be able to give you a much more detailed reply if you would contact us by email via the Liverpool Scottish Museum Trust (we now maintain an archive rather than a museum display). We are unable  to deal with queries via the Forum

10 hours ago, Gerald Tidswell said:

Private 69101 Thomas Bilsborrow 10th battalion (Labour) King’s Liverpool Regiment

This chap died at home 11-3-1917, at the age of 40,  and is buried at Agecroft Cemetery (Salford)

A single chap he was the son of Thomas & Mary Jane Bilsborrow.

Can anybody please add to this?

As in the discussion above (dating to 2002) the 10th Bn was a Territorial Force infantry battalion going to France in November 1914 and remaining there until late in 1919. The It formed eventually three battalions 1/10th (France and Flanders from Nov 1914), 2/10th (France and Flanders from February 1917 and amalgamating with 1/10 KLR from Apriil 1918 and a 3/10th Bn (a recruit training battalion) based at Blackpool then Oswenstry

The references for Thomas Bilsborrow may be to the 10th Works Company KLR or the 10th Infantry Works Coy.KLR

On 28/03/2017 at 07:41, Ian Riley said:

Helen, Your great grandfather was with the Liverpool Scottish (the 10th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment), going to France and Flanders with the 2nd Battalion in February 1917 as part of the 57th (Second West Lancashire) Division. The designation of this was 2/10th KLR - said as 'Second Tenth'. the 2/10th merged with the 1st Battalion (1/10th KLR) in April 1918. The 1/10th was in (and continued to serve with) the 55th (West Lancashire) Division. We should be able to give you a much more detailed reply if you would contact us by email via the Liverpool Scottish Museum Trust (we now maintain an archive rather than a museum display). We are unable  to deal with queries via the Forum

Thank you Ian.
I have attached this pic, as I believe it to be the same man. One on the left is from my previous photo, and the chap on the right is taken from the original Liverpool PALS photo. I swear it is the same man. Is there a chance LSMT would have the names of the original PALS on that photo?

4-03-2017 8-08-05 PM.jpg

Edited by Guest