Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte John Lancaster Clark, 235874, 9th Bn ( Yorkshire Hussars) The West Yorkshire Regiment

John Knopp

I am researching the Fallen on our village war memeorial and I have established from the CWGC that John died on 22 05 1918 from the effects of gas at Hulloch and is buried at Pernes. In trying to find out more about what the 9th Bn were doing at the time I keep being drawn back to Gas attacks on Hulloch on Apr 1916 not May 1918.  

Any help would be most apprciated    

John Knopp

John,

I take it you have already consulted the War Diary - available to download for free from the National Archive if you sign in with your account. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352616

The history of the cemetery shows that it  "was not begun until April 1918 when the 1st and 4th Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations came to Pernes, driven back by the German advance. In May, the 6th and 22nd Clearing Stations arrived and in August, they were joined by the 13th. Almost all the burials were made by these units".
https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/11600/pernes-british-cemetery/

To have reached a Casualty Clearing Station he was several steps along the medical evacuation route.

Gas was an everyday part of life by 1918 and not just reserved for major attacks.

The grave registration report attached to his Commonwealth War Graves Commission webpage shows members from other units of the 11th (Northern) Division who are buried nearby - 6th York & Lancs & 6th Lincolns and who died on the 20th and 21st May 1918.

Cheers,
Peter