Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William John Morgan DoB 27.7.1897

Russ Morley

Please can anyone provide me with more information about William John Morgan who served with South Staffordshire Regiment and 7th Royal Tank Corps during WWI. I have attached a couple of photo files for reference. I need a home address ideally?

IMG_0679.png

IMG_0680.png

Fold 3 have a Pension Card which gives

image.png.7e1208c7dc91cc9d363c0e9b080cfa5d.png

And another

image.png.ac839063ce1ad798ab088a233e37cc7c.png

George

As a 'Morgan' is it reasonable to assume Welsh?

George

Hello George,

Thank you for your assistance for which I am very grateful. I am currently searching Fold 3 but found nothing helpful so far.

William John Morgan was born in Llangattock, Breconshire. Not too far from Abergavenny. He was living with his parents at Bedw Farm, Cymmer, Porth, Rhondda, Glamorgan when he was Enlisted and I assume that he returned to the same address after serving. I tried to find the Absent Voters List for 1918 but had no luck for this particular Parish/Ward.

He told me that he was in a tank at some stage of his service. That’s all I know.

In which case Ancestry has this

Name William John Morgan
Gender Male
Enlistment Age 22
Birth Date abt 1894
Document Date 1916
Residence Place Upper Cwm Farm, Govilon Nr Abergavenny
Military Date 1916
Relationship to Soldier Self (Head)
Regimental Number 126374
Regiment Name Royal Engineers
Number of Images 32

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1336423:1219?tid=&pid=&queryId=79d47ef5c3f651018880e9903206d09a&_phsrc=DUQ876&_phstart=successSource

George

And Fold 3

https://www.fold3.com/search?docQuery=(fieldedKeywords:!((texts:!('Morgan,+William+John'),type:full-name)),filters:!((type:place)),keywords:'126374')

George

Unfortunately not. William John Morgan was born near Abergavenny but not at Cwm Farm in Govilon. He was born in Llangattock probably at Myrtle Cottage in the Dardy area. When William enlisted he was living 50 miles away at Bedw Farm in Cymmer, Porth, Rhondda, Glamorgan.

I have been searching for his service or pension records for many years George so it is very pleasing to get some help. It is much appreciated. Thank You!

Russ.

I have a copy of the 1918 VL for Parliamentary Borough of Rhondda [Eastern Div]. They are to be found at the National Library, Aberystwyth.

In Polling District C: Cymmer there is an entry showing a Walter John Warner Pte 1394 3rd Welsh Regt  at Bedw Farm, Bedw Street.

That’s interesting Hywyn. I assume you mean the Absent Voters List 1918 when you say VL?
I guess there’s nothing for a William John Morgan at that address?

Yes, it is AVL. The 'a' on my laptop is playing up.

The above is the only one for the address. Do you want me to go through rest of Cymmer Polling District looking for a William [John] Morgan?

Hello Hywyn,

I’m confident that the Morgan family lived at Bedw Farm, Cymmer, Porth, Rhondda from 1910 to 1930. It is in the Glynfach area of the town now known as Bedw Farm Estate.

Do you have access to the actual Electoral Roll for 1918 for the same area? If so, William’s father, John Morgan,  and also his mother, Elizabeth Margaret Eva, will be listed along with his sister Tydfil. The family always called William ‘Johnny’. Maybe he had already returned home before the Absent Voters List was compiled?

Unfortunately I only have the Absent Voters part.

I think I have located the area you describe. It goes like this in the AVL

Glynfach Rd

Bedw Street

Belmont Place

Wyndham Street

St John's Terrace

Blosse Terrace

Ricketts Street

Glyn Street

Aubrey Road

Morgan Terrace

Under Bedw Street there are two entries namely James Griffiths at No 6 [22638 Welsh Regt] and Walter John Warner at Bedw Farm [as above]

Thank you very much for your assistance with my research Hywyn. I think that Walter Warner was probably a lodger at Bedw Farm before enlisting but odd that he would use it as his home address. Anyway, I’ll do some research on his background. My next task will be to get access to the Electoral Roll for 1918. It’s not available on Ancestry for the Rhondda.