Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Prince of Wales Volunteers

ErnieNoakes

I've just acquired a copy of "Ich Dien" The Prince of Wales Volunteers (South Lancashire) 1914-1934, by Captain H. Whalley-Kelly. Published 1934. Appendix 2 being the names of Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and men of the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire) who received Honours and awards during the Great War 1914-1921. Which like a prat I posted in the wrong section, apologies to all concerned.

• 5 months later...

Ernie,

Wonder if you can find any mention of this man in the PWV Regimental History:

Charles Garnet WITHERS

CWGC Entry:

WITHERS

Initials: C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn. attd. 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 10/07/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XII. K. 9.

Cemetery: CONNAUGHT CEMETERY, THIEPVAL

Born in Balham in 1890.

Any information from Regimental history would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

Ernie,

Wonder if you can find any mention of this man in the PWV Regimental History:

Charles Garnet WITHERS

CWGC Entry:

WITHERS

Initials: C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn. attd. 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 10/07/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XII. K. 9.

Cemetery: CONNAUGHT CEMETERY, THIEPVAL

Born in Balham in 1890.

Any information from Regimental history would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris !

I have the Ich Dien and I wasn't able to find your young man in there - he's not included in the medals section either! Sorry !

Annie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Citizen Tony

Annie:

I too am searching for a soldier who served with Prince of Wales volunteers, regimental number 28534, a Pvt. Joseph Leyland. I'm a Canadian journalist working with a class of 15 years olds, helping them research personal inks to the Great War. Their quest is being serialized in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper, and monitored in a separate website. Go to ottawacitizen.com and click on the Ghosts of the Great War link for more.

Any chance Leyland is mention in your book?

Tony

Annie:

I too am searching for a soldier who served with Prince of Wales volunteers, regimental number 28534, a Pvt. Joseph Leyland. I'm a Canadian journalist working with a class of 15 years olds,  helping them research personal inks to the Great War. Their quest is being serialized in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper, and monitored in a separate website. Go to ottawacitizen.com and click on the Ghosts of the Great War link for more.

Any chance Leyland is mention in your book?

Tony

Hi Tony!

Joseph Leyland has a medal card - do you have that?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

I will look in the book and get back to you - but do you know the battalion ? or anything else about him?

Annie

Tony - I had a quickie look and there is a Pte T Leyland mentioned in the 6th battalion but there is no medal card for him so I think this must be the same one - and he was Gazetted 22/9/1919

Page 173 Ich Dien

The following warrant officers non commissioned officers and men received the Meritous Service Medal -

RSM RH Hartley CSM J Boardman Sergeants J Kelly H Terry and T McDermott Lance Cpl R Sloan and Pte T Leyland

See if you can check him out! - and I'll keep looking - unless somebody else picks up this post!

6th battalion was raised Sept 1914 - disbanded August 1919 - Employed Gallipolli Eygpt and Mesopotamia (13th div)

Commanding Officers - Lt Col HK Woods DSO - Lt Col FH Charleton DSO

Adjutants - Capt EWH Marsh ( Indian Army) - Capt PW Ward MC - Capt JA de Lyons MC

Quartermaster - Major WF Powner

Annie

Guest Citizen Tony

Annie:

Thanks for the prompt reply. We know that Joseph Leyland was born in Wallasey in 1886 and family history says that he was an engineer before the war.

That leads us to wonder whether he might have served with the 17th Bn (Transport workers) raised in Bidston in 1918 to working on Merseyside canal construction. Problem is that this doesn't mesh with family lore which holds that he served in Europe and was gassed at Ypres (6th Battalion doesnlt fit there either). We have Lee Enfield that Joseph handed sown to his son, and it seems unlikely that canal workers were issued firearms, but who knows? We have seen the medal card and not that there is not entry for theatre of War. Does that mean he didn't serve overseas?

Tony

Annie:

Thanks for the prompt reply. We know that Joseph Leyland was born in Wallasey in 1886 and family history says that he was an engineer before the war.

That leads us to wonder whether he might have served with the 17th Bn (Transport workers) raised in Bidston in 1918 to  working on Merseyside canal construction.  Problem is that this doesn't mesh with family lore which holds that he served in Europe and was gassed at Ypres (6th Battalion doesnlt fit there either). We have Lee Enfield that Joseph handed sown to his son, and it seems unlikely that canal workers were issued firearms, but who knows? We have seen the medal card and not that  there is not entry for theatre of War. Does that mean he didn't serve overseas?

Tony

Hi Tony!

I'm confused :rolleyes: ( it doesn't take much!)

You asked me to look in my book about the South Lancs for your young soldier from the South Lancs ! Where did you find the other information ? do you have the 1891 and 1901 census ?

Joseph Leyland son age 5 born St Helens living St Helens Lancs

source RG12/3021 Folio 137 Page 62

Father Joseph mother Margaret

I found him in 1901 in Lancashire

This is very likely your Joseph - there is another Joseph born Birkenhead - I don't think he's the one - but most young men from St Helens joined the South Lancs ! I don't know what other information you have - if you know family lore - maybe you know other family members !!

Annie

Guest Citizen Tony
Hi Tony!

I'm confused  :rolleyes: ( it doesn't take much!)

You asked me to look in my book about the South Lancs for your young soldier from the South Lancs ! Where did you find the other information ? do you have the 1891 and 1901 census ?

Joseph Leyland son age 5 born St Helens living St Helens Lancs

source RG12/3021 Folio 137 Page 62

Father Joseph mother Margaret

I found him in 1901 in Lancashire

This is very likely your Joseph - there is another Joseph born Birkenhead - I don't think he's the one - but most young men from St Helens joined the South Lancs ! I don't know what other information you have - if you know family lore - maybe you know other family members !!

Annie:

Sorry to confuse you.  We do have census information and have confirmed Joseph as being the son of Thomas and Agnes Leyland of Bidston Marsh.  We had been misled into believing Joseph was a Lance Coproral and were searching a completely different regiment until we found his medals and got his regimantal number. He was definitely South Lancashire; we're just trying to find out which unit he served in so we can get some idea of what his war might havew been like. We've got his medal card ans it doesn't tell us much We have a independent researcher looking for records at Kew this week, but we know that it's likely we won't find much. I was just hoping that he might have been mentioned in your book and we'd catch a break. And suggestions you have would be appreciated.

FYI, the students here are also trying to confirm whether the John Morewood of the 20th Manchester listed at the CWGC site is the same John Morewood listed in the 1901 census as being the son of  Arthur and Emma Morewood of Nelson, Manchester. Family lore has our John dying in Belgium so it makes sense, but we canlt think how to confirm the link.

Tony

Annie

I asked my friend Mack about the Manchester soldier - this is what he gave me!

lance corporal john morewood.No18178

20th manchester regt

C.coy.10th platoon

killed 1-10-17

tyne cot memorial

age 21

born greenhays,salford

worked at walker+homfrays,manchester brewery company.

i think his brother arthur also worked with him at the brewery

driver arthur morewood

RE

age 29 when he enlisted [1914]

No61461

driver samuel morewood

RFA

age when enlisted 24 [1914]

No70545

there was another brother james,no details

two sisters annie+emma

Hope this helps !

Annie

Guest Citizen Tony
I asked my friend Mack about the Manchester soldier - this is what he gave me!

lance corporal john morewood.No18178

20th manchester regt

C.coy.10th platoon

killed 1-10-17

tyne cot memorial

age 21

born greenhays,salford

worked at walker+homfrays,manchester brewery company.

i think his brother arthur also worked with him at the brewery

driver arthur morewood

RE

age 29 when he enlisted [1914]

No61461

driver samuel morewood

RFA

age when enlisted 24 [1914]

No70545

there was another brother james,no details

two sisters annie+emma

Hope this helps !

Annie

Annie:

I love you! So, I suspect, does John and Arthur's 15-year-old great, great grandneice Rachel,  who's leading the team researching this soldier for our class.  Tell Mack we love him, too. Where does he get his info?  Family history had the bros. working at a brewery, but we had no idea which one.  Problem is that the Morewoods over here have lost contact with the family back home. Does Mack know of any family links?  Also any suggestions on  how I can research C Company. 10th platoon?

Annie,

Only recently back on line, no problem good to see you were able to help.

Regards,

Ernie

• 2 years later...

Hiya Ernie and Annie.I'm wondering if you can offer me any help.I'm trying to find out about my gguncle Peter Seiler pte,no 39135 South Lancashire Regiment.Born Liverpool 1890.He came home died 1929.I'm trying to get a picture of his wearabouts,during ww1,but dont know which battalion.If you could point me in the right direction,or shed any light,that would be greatly appreciated.Thankyou,Fiona.