Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sheffield AA gun sites

munchkin

Hi All,

I dont suppose anyone can help me with finding out where Sheffield's AA guns were placed around the city during WW1. In particular, there was supossed to be a gun in the Shiregreen area. Does anyone have any info please.

Glynn.

Glynn,

Two guns and two searchlights were setup by the RN at Wincobank Hill in January 1915 and staffed by the Anti-Aircraft Corps.

The City’s air defence was later transferred to the Royal Garrison Artillery and Wincobank was closed. New positions were taken into use at Shiregreen and Intake. There was also a gun near Manor Lane - although this could be related to the Intake site. I have also come across a reference to a gun at Ecclesall. Unfortunately, I don’t know the exact location of any of these sites.

I have been researching the 1916 Zeppelin raid on Sheffield but haven’t yet got to grips with the anti-aircraft defences. The Shiregreen gun was the only one in the city to have fired on the Zeppelin.

I would be interested if you find anymore information.

Regards

Mark

Mark,

During the raid on September 25/26th on Sheffield, the only gun to fire was the Shiregreen gun. It fired twice, although that night was very overcast and foggy. It is known that these shots were the catalyst in the Zeppelin turning for home.

Glynn.