Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Murphy's Register CD

christine liava'a

Does anyone here know anything about, or have a copy of this CD?

"Murphy's Index-The CD Index of Photographs of those who served in the Great War and conflicts into the 1920s and beyond"

"photographic sources include newspapers, rolls of honour, regimental histories ans Wartime Research's private collection of photos"

The newspapers include " The Sphere, The Graphic, British Jewry, The War Illustrated, The Times History of the Great War, Ruvigny's etc"

It indexes " over 50,000 men & women from the UK and Ireland, Australia, USA, Canada, Sth Africa, and elsewhere, who served in the Great War"

It was advertised in the british Family Tree magazine in March 2000, and maybe other dates, with a website www. wartime-research.com which is now defunct

Trolling the net gives various references to it, some libraries have copies. but a contact cannot be found.

In the advertisement there is an address

Wartime Research Media PO box 5611

Brentwood CM14 5TW

Tel 01277 201613 fax 01277 201615

Could someone in Britain ring them and find out whether it is still available?

Is it any good?

Hi Christine,

01227 201613 looks like a Canturbury Kent No. its 18 miles away (Local) I will ring it tomorrow for you. Look in tomorrow night.

garyem1

Sorry, (need my specs) 01277.

But will ring them in the morning.

garyem1

Hi Christine,

I rang that Number this morning and it is no longer available. :(

garyem1

Thanks for that. It looks as though the firm no longer exists. But apparently there are some copies of the cd around.

If anyone has access to one, could they search for references to FIJI/AN on it?

I have copies of the photos in the Times History of the War, but am looking for other photos of the Fiji soldiers and Labour Corps.

Any references would be valuable

It was my understanding that there were no photos on this CD - it was just a list of names. If you wanted photos you then had to order them at extra cost from the CD producer... one of the reasons I suspect it didn't do so well if this was indeed the case.

Someone else is now putting some of these rolls - inc the photos - onto CD. I have the British Book of Jewry on CD Rom, with all the photos on it, which saves damaging the spine of my original... if you wany anything looked up in it let me know.

Thanks Sullivan, I have sent off a request. Maybe there will be some other references.

Christine :D

For what is worth I purchased a copy of this CD-ROM when it was first produced.

As Paul says, no photos just a searchable database of names. The idea behind the CD-ROM I believe was to make money from family historians from the orders for photo's / details. I certainly had no intension of ordering, they wanted too much money for them, I could even have saved myself £30, by not buying the CD in the first place!

I suppose the CD-ROM has its uses if the person you are looking for is listed and you have the Roll of Honour etc. on the book shelf. Over the time that I've ever used it, the person you are looking for isn't listed. I had a check for Fijian units etc., but there’s none listed.

If anyone is interested in good CD-ROM's of 'Rolls of Honour' check out the following web-site http://www.ww1photos.com/CDRomsForSale.html Paul, has already mention one 'The British Jewry Book of Honour' others include London Stock Exchange & McCorquodale, it certainly saves wear and tear not having to make copies from the books.

Alan Seymour

• 13 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

Wondering if anyone still has a copy of this CD - I'd be interested in purchasing it if it was still available. If anyone no longer requires their copy I'd be willing to make them an offer...

This thread started before I joined up!

If anyone out there has this CD, could you look up two people for me, please?

Royal Field Artillery driver 82854 Eustace Alexander TAYLOR

Royal Marines bandsman 1239 [Jasper} Edward MUIR

Many thanks,

aim