Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDALS

MACRAE

:ph34r:

Okay guys when did they start or stop using the word DUPLICATE on medals , I purchased a nice ww1 vets medals and they are marked DUPLICATE on them , I was told they stoped using the word in the 50s and started to use REPLACEMENT or COPY any know anything on this subject.

Dan

Sorry, can't help you with your actual question, but a friend of mine has a nice Canadian MM & bar with TRIPLICATE stamped on it. Obviously the recipient was a somewhat forgetful or careless fellow, although a very brave one!

:ph34r: 

Okay guys when did they start or stop using the word DUPLICATE on medals , I purchased a nice ww1 vets medals and they are marked DUPLICATE on them , I was told they stoped using the word in the 50s and started to use REPLACEMENT or COPY any know anything on this subject.

Dan

I have various Replacement Medals {GVR MM;Korea;NGS 1909~14}Officially issued in the 1970s & 80s,which were marked "R" @ the shoulder of the Medal ,close to the suspension Bar,which as far as I am aware is still the practice for current official Replacements [or a "D" for duplicate] The word Copy shouldnt really appear on Official replacements of original Medals

In an old Medal News "Anthony Sudlow" remarked that he had requested & got His IGS 1936~9 Replaced without ANY note of its Duplicate/Replacement status.

In a similar vein the Medals of the R H S for Life saving were sometimes marked "Duplicate" not to replace a lost medal but to signify the Original Large Bronze "Table" Medal was replaced by the smaller "Wearable" type

I Have a 1914-15 Star trio in my collection which is marked "Replacement" on the bottom of the star. The medal itself can be seen on Howard Williamsons "The Collectors and Researchers Guide to the Great War" page 28 to Rfn J.Cox for those who want to see the type of marking.

Andy

:ph34r: Hmmm well i will go along the lines of they stoped using DUPLICATE in the 50s . From what i have been told by medal dealers and collectors alike, it looks like they could be 30s to 50s issue they are obvoius dif that collectors of medals can see on medals that give them away as either fakes or offical issue or replacements or what ever you wish to call them , But i am happy with what i have and i will have him checked out and see if he was a old contemptable.

Dan

Thanks guys

Am I not right in thinking that the MICs are marked when dupicates are issued and a date noted? If so it should not be difficult to work out when the change took place. It just needs enough people to provide the names and units of replacement/copy medals that they have and for someone to look through the MICs.

:ph34r: Well if any one is going to PRO and would like to check out this dear old chap i would be eternaly grateful , T/28842 dvr s.a. cole a.s.c. thank you

Dan

I have the duplicate victory medal to 236188 AM.1 J.A. WOODHAMS. R.A.F. duplicate BWM to 3967 PTE. L.W. CRAIG. L'POOL R. duplicate BWM/victory pair to 511 SGT. H.J.W. SCANES. R.F.A. (yes, they are both incorrectly inscribed to RFA and not RA) and duplicate mons trio to 10196 PTE. E. HAMILTON. R.MUNS.FUS. These are all marked "DUPLICATE". I think that I have one marked "R" tucked away somewhere but none marked "COPY".

In a similar vein, I have recently started collected medals and have unfortunately been stung a couple of times ( :angry: ) although fortunately, not too expensively.

I remember seeing information on the WW2 ACE campaign medal which gave details of how to spot fakes but have never seen any information about the WW1 campaign medals or the other WW2 campaign medals and clasps.

Initially, I am trying to collect originals of the WW1 and WW2 campaign medals in both F/S and miniature and wonder if anybody could suggest where I could look to ensure that those that I have are not fakes.

I am aware that most WW1 medals where named whilst those issued to the British forces, from the later conflict, are not but I would be grateful for any suggestions particularly regarding the ribbons and miniatures!

Thanks in advance

Tony