Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reg. No. on index cards

Guest Karen P

Can anyone explain to me what a 'G' or 'T4' means before a soldier's Regiment No. on the Medal Index Cards? ie; T4/141479 G/1154

Thanks.

Karen,

The answer will certainly be forthcoming once the Pals gat out of bed.

Personally, I do not know.

Roop

What is the mans name and Corps Karen?

T for an ASC man means Horse Transport - Army Service Corps. T4 means New Army (Kitcheners Army raised for war service).

I think G means a General Service Enlistment in some instances (depending on which Regiment or Corps).

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks for your reply Tim.

The soldier's name is Private John Hicks. I don't know his Army Regiment and his name was very common during WW1 so I am trying to narrow the search of Medal Index Cards through a process of elimination. I can now eliminate any with 'T' as I know he didn't have anything to do with horses!! I don't think I've got much chance of finding him though!!!!

Thanks,

Karen

Don't know if this is the safest way to do things Karen. It would depend on what Regiment or Corps he was in. As I suggested in your other thread I would try the Royal Irish Constabulary to see if he enlisted with them.

Rgds

Tim D

Karen.

The "G" prefix is, most commonly representative of a soldier of "Home Counties" (Service) regt's.

Home counties being "around" London.

e.g.

Middlesex etc.

The "G" is also sometimes issued to soldiers of certain Battalions of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

As Tim has stated, the T4 prefix is associated with the ASC.

I haven't seen your other thread (as yet), so can't comment on the RIC possiblity as Tim suggested. But if there is an Irish "connection" then maybe the RIF is a possibility.

There are 7 Hicks' "associated" with the RIF, that appear in the MIC's, but NO John's.

Maybe the family knew him under a different name. You know the sort of thing, "Uncle John's real name was George, but everybody called him John", (perhaps a middle name etc).

Here's the link to the MIC index of Hick's.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...=1&mediaarray=*

Hope this helps a little.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

I don't think he would be under another name. He has John on his birth certificate and was only ever called John. Thanks for checking - at least I now know he wasn't with the RIF.

Thanks for the other information - much appreciated!!!

Karen

Karen.

The "G" prefix is, most commonly representative of a soldier of "Home Counties" (Service) regt's.

Home counties being "around" London.

e.g.

Middlesex etc.

The "G" is also sometimes issued to soldiers of certain Battalions of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

As Tim has stated, the T4 prefix is associated with the ASC.

I haven't seen your other thread (as yet), so can't comment on the RIC possiblity as Tim suggested.  But if there is an Irish "connection" then maybe the RIF is a possibility.

There are 7 Hicks' "associated" with the RIF, that appear in the MIC's, but NO John's. 

Maybe the family knew him under a different name.  You know the sort of thing, "Uncle John's real name was George, but everybody called him John", (perhaps a middle name etc).

Here's the link to the MIC index of Hick's.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...=1&mediaarray=*

Hope this helps a little.

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Andrew85

I have a similar question- I just got a copy of my g.g.uncle Morris Goldsand's MIC, which says that he was a private in the Royal Fusiliers and gives his Reg. No. as J/8756. What does the J stand for?

I have a strong suspicion that Morris may have been somehow connected with the "Jewish Legion", the three Jewish battalions formed from the Royal Fusiliers. I originally discovered his service in the British Army by finding an Ellis Island record from 1919 in which he and about 60 other young men (all recorded as "Hebrews") were returning from England. A note said that they were demobilized British soldiers, and their passage was paid by the British government.

Scrolling through the reg. nos near Morris' seem to support this- all the names near his number look Jewish.

My real question is, can knowing his Regiment Number help me determine what Regiment or Battalion he served with (thereby confirming if he, in fact, was part of the Jewish Legion, or, at the very least, helping me find out where he was stationed)?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

The "J" prefix is indeed representative of the Royal Fusiliers 38th, 39th, 40th (Judean) Battalions.

Sorry I can't help further with determining which Btn your GG Uncle was in.

Mark.

Guest Andrew85

Thanks much, Mark and Steve. I'm curious, are the Reg. Nos sequential (I.e., was battalion 38 J/1 through J/5000, then battalion 39 J/5001 through J/whatever)?

If so, maybe I could try looking up specific individuals on the net whose battalions are given (like David Ben-Gurion, for instance, who I believe was in the 40th Btn) and checking their Reg. Nos to see if they're near Morris'.