Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
KONDOA

German South West Africa

KONDOA

Chums,

I came across a rather vague reference today that lead to the suggestion that some British units accompanied Bothas forces into GSWA.

Does anyone have any further information regarding this, like who and when.

Roop

MAW

I understand that units of the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) served in German South West Africa.

Mark

KONDOA

Thanks Mark, I thought that may be what it inferred.

Roop

Robert Dunlop

Also No 1 Squadron, Royal Naval Armoured Car Division, comprising 12 'light' armoured cars.

Robert

Robert Dunlop

And 3 pilots of Royal Naval Air Service.

Robert

KONDOA

Thanks Robert, quite a gathering then!!

Roop

KONDOA

Thanks TwoBob,

Would this be with a Rhodesian contingent??

Roop

Robert Dunlop

Yes, he was a 'footsore young bugler in the Rhodesia Regiment' when he first saw a German aircraft.

Robert

KONDOA

Thanks Robert again. I seem to have started collecting odd snippets on this campaign as a side issue to the GEA campaign and am becoming more interested in it.

Roop

MAW

Units of the Royal Marine Artillery (RMA) served in German South West Africa:

'On the decision to invade German South West Africa, the need for Heavy Artillery was recognised and a Heavy Artillery Brigade (as Artillery Regiments were then called) was formed in 1915 to accompany the S.A. Expeditionary Force. Command was given to Lt.-Col. J.M. Rose, Royal Marine Artillery, and the Brigade was constituted from elements of the RMA stationed in South Africa, together with officers and men of the SAGA (No.2 and 6 Companies) Cape and Durban Garrison Artilleries.

The Brigade was eventually expanded into three Brigades, ultimately consisting of 60 officers and 1,000 other ranks. Durban Garrison Artillery provided "K" Heavy Battery armed with 12-pounders, which accompanied Col. Berrange's Eastern Force in German South West Africa, and "N" Heavy Battery armed with 6-inch 30-cwt. Howitzers, which was attached to Northern Force. Northern Force was also strengthened by the remainder of the Heavy Artillery Brigade consisting of "0" Battery, armed with 4-inch Naval Guns; "D" Battery with 12-pounder Naval Guns and "F" Battery with 5-inch Howitzers.

In South West Africa the Heavies accompanied Brig.-Gen. Beves' 1st Infantry Brigade in the Northern Force on the remarkable march of 230 miles in 16 days from Karibib to Otavifontein.'

[source not recorded]

Mark

KONDOA

Mark,

That is a very useful bit of info as it has accurately identified where 12 Howitzer battery GEA originated ie F Battery.

Pity the source is unkown.

Roop

KONDOA

Thanks Mark,

They are correspondents of mine but I was not aware of that particular information or volume.

Roop