Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson

Hullo.

I am on the Long trail of my G. Granfathers WW1 military service.

Having studied his newly come-by service papers it seems he started The War in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

He was attested on 24-9-14. We have no service number but his unit is named on his papers as C.L.B. battalion. Further down it says 19th ( transfered )

Any help what these letters stand for would be great.

Regards, Roland.

Roland,

Could be the Church Lads Brigade in which case his service number would have a C prefix.

Andy

Andy at the top of his service papers where it says " Statement Of The Services Of No " there is an letter , which could be a C followed by number 250. This is then crossed out and his Northampton Regiment number put in , then this is crossed out and his Labour Corps number put in.

Is 250 to low to be his service no. ?

Roland.

Hi Roland,

C-250 number would be about right for his enlistment date of Aug/Sep 1914 in The Church Lads Brigade. The crossing out of his numbers and new numbers put there I have come across several times as the person moved from Regiment to Regiment.

Andy

As Andy says, the 16th KRRC was subtitled Church Lads Brigade. The 19th KRRC was a Reserve Bn formed from depot companies of 16 & 17 Bns at Bexhill in Oct 1915. It became the 109th Training Reserve Bn in Sept 1916. Of course, this Bn did not see active service. Phil B

Roland,

To follow on from Phils posting, Paul Reed (a member of this forum) wrote an article in the Orders and Medals Research Society"Journal" in September 1994.

The "C" prfix was initially used for the 16th (Church Lads Brigade) Battalion KRRC the sample clearly shows the first numbers used in this prefix were men who enlisted on 19th September 1914, the date of the formation for the 16th. The sample clearly shows that with so many New Army Battalions already fromed, the 16th had problems in filling out its establishment. Not even a thousand men had enlisted within a month of formation. Compare this to one of the K1 Battalions, who could boast a thousand enlistments within ten days in August 1914.

By the close of 1914, the 16th had all but recruited a full establishment, but from the sample it seems the "C" prefix was to be used alongside the "R", as the 17th, 18th & 19th Battalions were formed in 1915. These men, although given a "C" prefix would have had no conection within the Church Lads Brigade.

Here are some of the numbers and their enliustment dates.

C-181 Enlistment 19-9-14

C-268 19-9-14

C-389 20-9-14

C-438 21-9-14

C-602 22-9-14

C-1088 24-11-14

C-6717 4-8-15

I hve a couple of CLB groups at home in the 6000 number range who were in the 18th.

Hope this all helps

Andy

This reserch is so addictive !! Thanks guys so much !

Why were they called The Church Lads Brigade ? And also where were they based ? We understand Our G. Grandfather was a keen musician ( we have pic of him leading a military band ) so was there a music connection ?

Thanks, Roland.

This reserch is so addictive !!  Thanks guys so much !

Why were they called The Church Lads Brigade ? And also where were they based ? We understand Our G. Grandfather was a keen musician  ( we have pic of him leading a military band ) so was there a music connection ?

Thanks, Roland.

Roland

the CLB are still active, see here CLB home page

IIRC they are very similiar to the boys brigade or indeed the boy scout movement

they certainly did have bands, there are some old pictures of them marching on the site and a contempory band

chris

Brilliant stuff !!!

G.Grandfather joined the 16th then moved onto the 19th then onto the 109th as an ex pro old soldier helping doing their training

All down on his service record.

I have emailed The Church Lads to see if they have any info.

I read a War Diary excerpt of the 16th and it is very sad. The family have some fantastic pics of G.Grandfather , William leading the band ahead of the Battilion.

Roland.

Great stuff, Roland.

Nice to see you piecing the puzzle together. They start to become more "real" don't they?

Steve.

Steve. Yes you are right.I seem to know William a bit more each day!

Largely thanks to you guys ! :)

family have some fantastic pics of G.Grandfather

let's have a look at him then! :)

My parents have all the pics.I will get some and scan them in.

Roland.

Roland, do a search on this forum for krrc or kings royal rifle corps or kings royal rifles as there have been many threads on this regiment and quite a number on the 16th btn. You may also want to try searching for clb or church lads brigade.

Any idea when he moved on from the 16th?

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob.Will do.

The 16th set sail for France on 15th Nov 1915.William was transfered to the 19th on 4-9-15.

He was Sergeant Bugler with C company in the 16th.

I was in touch with guys from the currant church lads brigade yesterday who have sent me several emails with lots of new info.

Any ideas what a Sergeant buglars job was ?

Roland.

Hi Roland

As you may have gleaned from my signature I have an interest in the 16th KRRC and also the CLB. I have found it difficult at times to get historical info on them being in OZ and all. If you have any info to share I would appreciate it.

Where did your G Grandfather join up with the 16th? I have just got some transcribed articles from the Rochdale Observer about the joining up process. I could post them if you, or anybody, is interested.

Bob

Hi Bob, hope the weather is kinder where you are . Here in Berkshire it is dull and raining...surprise surprise !

Please post any sort of info you have, it all makes great reading and can help give a clearer picture of the times.

William, served 12 year in Lancs Fusiliers including 9 years in India. He left in 1897.

He joined c coy 16th Kings Royal Rifle Corps ( Church Lads Brigade ) on September 24 th 1914 in London as a Sergeant Bugler.This date fits in , roughly , with his number C250. The Battalion sailed for France on 15th November 1915.

He did not sail as he was 45 and was transfered to the 19th and then onto the 109th.He later went to France with The Labour Corps.

I have been in touch with the currant Church Lads Brigade and they are kindly doing some reserch for me.

I also have been lucky in obtaining Williams full service record from Kew.

I have read some of the War Diary of the 16th and it is so sad.

Do you have any other info you can share, i will post as more comes through this side of the world !

Regards, Roland.

ps Do you have a link to any other war diary for the 16th apart from the one on this site ?

post-8-1067371148.jpgHi Roland, you may think that our weather is good (OZ has a reputation for good weather) but what we would give for some RAIN.

I have attached the newspaper articles. I also have the war diary of the 16th Btn KRRC if you would like it. You may want to send your e-mail address to me at raenbob@optusnet.com.au so I can send it if you want it.

You may hav eworked this out but if your G-Grandfather was in WW1 and my dad was then our ages must be far apart.

Cheers

Bob

excellent stuff Bob!

Great stuff Bob.The mention of Denham training camp from Oct 1914 i can pinpoint my G.Grandfather actually being there !

Roland.

• 1 year later...