Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did German sailors in the high seas fleet wear glasses?

Beniamin

I know that glasses were issued to frontline soldiers and to people not serving directly on the front. But were people with bad eyesight accepted into the German navy? I would be grateful if somebody could answer me, and provide me with a picture if possible.

thanks

Beniamin

I could only locate regulations governing the acceptance of naval officer cadets - which states that ‘the wearing of glasses is not an option in the navy, so only those applicants who can achieve 75% of normal vision with the naked eye, i.e. without the help of corrective glasses, can be taken on.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

The German navy's stereoscopic rangefinder required balanced binocular vision, so there'd obviously be certain jobs presenting challenges to specs wearers.

On 20/07/2023 at 20:14, KizmeRD said:

I could only locate regulations governing the acceptance of naval officer cadets - which states that ‘the wearing of glasses is not an option in the navy, so only those applicants who can achieve 75% of normal vision with the naked eye, i.e. without the help of corrective glasses, can be taken on.

MB

Did this apply to people working for example in the engine room?

As I said in my post I could only locate the rules applicable to entry into officer cadet school, so I can’t be certain whether ratings such as clerks, cooks, stewards or medics would have been permitted to have corrected vision.  However I can’t recall ever having seen a photo of any Imperial German Navy sailor wearing glasses, and I rather doubt that it would have been permitted in the main seagoing departments - the Matrossendivision (seamen), Werftdivision (technical trades), or the Torpedoabteilung.

MB

I did wonder if this still applied by 1918?

With Germany having to lower standards for there Army, was the same for there Navy in those jobs mentioned where glasses are less of a problem?

S.B