Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand officers Yorkshire 1917

Simon R

For reference purposes, I am seeking photographs of the following New Zealand officers.

They appear to have all been in northern command schools of instruction around November 1917

Frank Cook Mitchell DCM

Howard Beecham Pattrick MC

Oliver Patrick Coleman

Randolph Gordon Ridling

All material much appreciated, references useful.

Edited by Simon R
Clarity.

Hi Simon - I have three.  There is no known photo (in NZ at least) of Coleman in the public domain.

My scanner is not working so I've simply taken photos of photos - reference on each refers to the source - you may get better quality straight form these although I cannot see Beecham available on line

Andrew

Ridling:

image.jpeg.ad39816db40d010c5164f7c0fdfc4045.jpeg

Mitchell (National Archives):

image.jpeg.c89c51d9ea6579d01c9144c3c9b648b4.jpeg

Pattrick:

image.jpeg.33ae47a5c7b7e0b755094216898f9085.jpeg

Edited by aconnolly
further info

Thank you very much.

PATTRICK's portrait shown above enables me to identify him in my own (private) postcard collection - he is shown below at Northern Command Anti-Gas school at Farnley in November 1917. He signs the postcard on the reverse and also leaves another signature in a separate autograph album.

His attendance on this course is referenced in his service file at Archives NZ.PattrickantigasschoolNovember1917-Copy.jpg.a63638a356a296dc2b31f965f16ef498.jpg

What regiment is PATTRICK in the Archives F1473 portrait above?

RIDLING was at Farnley 1917 but doesn't seem to appear in any extant postcards. He is well photographed post war in educational capacity.

MITCHELL does appear to be shown in other postcards, but this awaits further confirmation as it remains unclear.

COLEMAN remains an enigma.

Edited by Simon R
Photo problems

Hi Simon - I am pretty sure he's got the 19th Reinforcements cap badge on.  But please note I'm no expert!  He sailed with 19ths then joined Rifle Brigade but his collar badges don't look like NZRB ones to me.   He's definitely not in an Medical Corps cap (first served on a hospital ship hence his number being "3/")

Hopefully a more knowledgeable pal can clarify for you.  

Example of 19th Reinforcements Badge below 

Andrew

image.png.c9f94a327633abb0b28a887d3349556a.png

As you might see in a separate posting, I am now seeking a photograph of 2nd Lt. Richard Leslie Anderson, B Coy. 4th bt. NZRB, later Lt. in A Coy. 1st btn NZRB. 

A group photo of 4th btn. officers on embarkation/embodiment/training etc., would seem to be the best bet but I am unfamiliar with NZRB unit histories and postcards.

I must thank aconnolly for all the help in sourcing the photos above.

Hi Simon

No joy with a publicly available photo of Anderson in NZ I'm afraid 

Andrew